Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ack.

Default Ack.

Because the majority of voters in my county were too cheap to clear a miniscule sales tax raise (that is .003% of a sales tax rise - apparently, those few pennies were too precious to them) - it looks like almost 40% of the public transportation in my county is going to be cut out of the picture. Yeah, that affects me very much directly - many of the proposed cuts mean I'll have to stop going to a lot of the 12-step meetings I have been attending altogether after they have been made. And I know that it will also affect the lives of countless disabled people in this county very much - they won't be able to get where they need to go a lot of the time as a direct result of the greed of the voters this time around.

Maybe it's time for me to move to a different county?

It's happening here too where I live. I've seen it. I've seen the privatization of the campus busing service that makes it so there is no direct route from where I live, near the campus, to downtown so I have to walk to work- I don't like waiting or being late because of a delay in the busing so I walk. However, I am not going to be working where I am much longer.

People just don't vote their heart anymore. They vote where their wallet is. I walk to work a route that takes me a half-hour to get to work and through the local campus.

I hate it, cause that's what led to the current situation where the buses on the local routes don't come on the campus anymore. I loved it when I had a direct route to downtown and not having to take the loop route to main. UGH. NOT worth it. So I hoof it.

Dude, you is preaching to the chior.

WildThing121675

Buy a bus line.

Get licensed drivers.

Charge admission.

Profit. Unless you're the only person riding, in which case the taxpayers did the right thing.

Butterfly Mage

Public transportation in Baltimore is a joke too. The police department got five brand new helicopters in 2010 but there are crippled, broken-down busses on the side of the road every morning on the way to work.

Was this the influence of the Tea Party?

(We have the same problem with vicious cuts in the UK: except we also have an organisation called UK Uncut, who are carefully pointing out that if the wealthy and big business paid the taxes they were supposed to, instead of stashing money into tax havens, we would need no cuts at all)

Artie

Quote Originally Posted by BabyArtie View Post
    Was this the influence of the Tea Party?

(We have the same problem with vicious cuts in the UK: except we also have an organisation called UK Uncut, who are carefully pointing out that if the wealthy and big business paid the taxes they were supposed to, instead of stashing money into tax havens, we would need no cuts at all)

Artie
    If it is legal for them to put money there, then there is no tax onus there. That's what we call a loophole.

I came here to comment about UK Uncut. I thought it was a pro-foreskin, anti-baby-mutilation group. Damn.

Our school is going to have to cut two more full time teaching jobs for next year. The state of Virginia still refuses to support public education as once again, our governor is cutting funding to education. We actually have a good bus line, but they too have had to operate on less funding, and will be moving their station to another part of town. This is the way of the U. S. We are being nickle and dimed out of services that need to be provided.

Dwhite

Public transportation in the U.S. has always been a joke. Thats what you get in a country that depend(ed) on the car for jobs. Cheap rides mean less people buy cars

Butterfly Mage

The only two cities I've visited where public transportation is NOT a joke is Atlanta and NYC. Everywhere else, you can get to your destination more efficiently on a bicycle. Columbia (Maryland) is truly pathetic. I timed it once and discovered that I could walk five miles on foot faster than the Columbia bus service could drive me.

The public transportation system in my town gets more use now than it ever did before.

And still, the majority voters spoke against preserving service as it currently stands. It's at a 45 / 55 percent split, meaning that 55 percent of voters in my country are apathetic to the needs of others and just want to save their few pennies ever ytime they purchase something they don't need.