Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Jacques

Default Brian Jacques

I just found out that he'd passed away of a heart attack on the fifth of February.

It's not entirely babyfur related, but I loved the little dibbuns in his stories. I didn't really like that all of the weasels were baddies (or died trying to prove they weren't), but I'll still miss the books.

I thought I'd share this here because I know a lot of furries love his books.

I know.. I was very sad when I heard that. I am thinking about making a run to read all of the redwalls all the way through again as a tribute to him.

Sigh. I loved his books when I was in my early teens, but I sort of gave up on them after the ninth. They were becoming a little formulaic. I didn't realise that he'd written so many. I still think that the first was the best. I'll have to fish it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Sigh. I loved his books when I was in my early teens, but I sort of gave up on them after the ninth. They were becoming a little formulaic. I didn't realise that he'd written so many. I still think that the first was the best. I'll have to fish it out again.
    Yeah, I realized they were kind of predictable, but I still liked the characters he would introduce. I just wish he'd given weasels/rats a fair shake before it was all over. I think I understand why he wouldn't, because it might have been confusing for the youngsters.

Redwall was very good and this is deeply saddening.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Yeah, I realized they were kind of predictable, but I still liked the characters he would introduce. I just wish he'd given weasels/rats a fair shake before it was all over. I think I understand why he wouldn't, because it might have been confusing for the youngsters.
    I'm not sure I agree. Being predestined to evil simply because of your species (or race, or background) really isn't a lesson you should be teaching young children.

I'm not sure I agree. Being predestined to evil simply because of your species (or race, or background) really isn't a lesson you should be teaching young children.
    I think what I said came out wrong. I agree with you, to be honest, I really really wanted a good character to come from the seemingly 'bad' species. I was just saying that although he never, to my knowledge, came out and said so that the reason I understood was that he didn't want to confuse little kids with that kind of plot twist. Not that I agreed with it. I suppose I should have phrased it better!

It's like teaching kids that it's OK to racial profile. "He's *insert race here* so he must be baaaaad." I'm sure that kids don't read the books and think that, it's just that a certain set of characters are 'bad guys' and a set are 'good guys'. When I was young I had some friends and we went to see The Great Mouse Detective in theaters. Their mother complained because "They're all rodents! How are they (her kids) supposed to tell who the good guy is and who the bad guy is?" I think it stems from the assumed 'stupidity' of children. I never had a problem telling who the bad guy was and neither did my friends, really. It was the mom who was confused.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I think it stems from the assumed 'stupidity' of children. I never had a problem telling who the bad guy was and neither did my friends, really.
    Hmm. I suppose that could be the case. Though I'm uncertain. Thinking about it, given the length of the books (they're not short by the standards of children's books), and the amount of violence (and the occasional death), they weren't exactly meant for very young children. The reading age is 10+, which really ought to be old enough to tell who the villain is without needing a label.

Hmm. I suppose that could be the case. Though I'm uncertain. Thinking about it, given the length of the books (they're not short by the standards of children's books), and the amount of violence (and the occasional death), they weren't exactly meant for very young children. The reading age is 10+, which really ought to be old enough to tell who the villain is without needing a label.
    I think I tried reading them when I was seven or eight. I actually didn't read them for a very long time because the book I chose had someone die in a fairly grisly manner, which upset me. Then I went back when I was older and tried again. They're kind of hard to place, because folks who are unfamiliar with the content think "Talking animals = young children". Kind of "It's animated so it = children".

Martin the Warrior was one of my favourite books growing up. Can't believe this isn't bigger news... like, everyone read Redwall in school. That's really sad. Much love to the dude for his crazy amount of stories and cool amounts of detail he put into describing food and naming characters.

Some rodents always being evil isn't such a bad thing. It's just part of the story. Ogre and orcs and trolls and goblins are generally villains, but whatever. Lord of the Rings is still gooder. Plus there's only white folks in that anyways.