Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solutions to depression.

Default Solutions to depression.

This thread is all about solutions to feeling depressed or down. What helps for me might not work for others, and if some of the others here are able to figure a way out of depression successfully, I am interested in hearing about how they do it.

For me, it took a combination of several things.

Anti-depressants did very little for me. Yeah, they took the edge off, but they did not deal with my core issues.

I had to start being honest with everybody around me. Dishonesty was only making my depression much, much worse. Breaking those chains was surprisingly painless.

I had to be willing to get rid of the depression. It was too comfortable for me to be in that spot that I had been in for most of my life.

For me, partaking in honest prayer helps. Getting out of my apartment and making friends helps. Being more responsible with my money helps. No longer partaking in any substances also helps.

But the thing that helps me the most is trying to find where I can be of some use to others, and actually jumping in wherever that can be applicable.

Those are the things that I do these days to keep the depression away, and they seem to be working.

If there are any other methods that people use to stay out of the dark realms of deep depression, I am interested in hearing about them, though. So, I'll end this post here and listen to what others have to say on the subject.

I REALLY need to find something to help with my depression

because right now I'm letting it swallow me whole

so I'm gonna watch this thread

AndrewThatsMyName

Well, I'm one of the first people you would want to talk to.

Last year, around Late September, I began feeling very depressed. Like, EXTREMELY depressed. I found little to no meaning in life anymore. It was just sad. Everything I saw was sad. I was about to end it all, but I felt that there was something more. I just couldn't get over the fact that someone or something needed me here. I mean like, so that's it? We just die, Game Over? From Sophomore year, I always had this whole 2 week deal, where if things don't get better in 2 weeks, something needs to change, or ____... 2 weeks came along, and I'll always remember October 14th as being the WORST day of 2010. God that day was terrible. I thought it was going to get better but on that day, things were just horrible. After that day, things looked up for the better, my life actually improved.

Enough about me though, my point is, it will get better. Life will seem like a tunnel of hate but when you get out of it, you will look back and go, wow, that was just terrible, and you will see the greater light. Depression hurts yourself more than anyone. It's the worst feeling you can ever deal with, but life will shape up and it always gets better, no matter what situation you may be in.

"Suicide is a long term solution to a short term problem."

I'll write more if i can be bothered later, but i am finding the things that most help are being realistic about a lot of the problems one has. A lot of the stuff i am disliking in myself and causing depression is disproportionate to what it actually is and 85% of that is just realising what it is and doing something about it (which things like CBT is very good for)

also just instilling the base idea that, yes, you do have the ability to get yourself out of this. That in itself is a kind of meta-placement thing which helps you make the first step if that makes sense which it probably doesn't

oh well

I also found eating a little better and getting more stuff like Omega 3 and Vitamin D3 helped a shedload (low levels of both are connected with depression stuff) so i dunno if that might help anyone.

the annoying thing though about depression is that its different for every person. the way i'm slowly getting through mine will be different to everyone elses, and thats why it's sometimes so hard to fight for others. There is just one day where you kinda snap though and you go "fuck it I am a million times better than being sad all the time" and you start to pull yourself out inch by inch.

Another thing

and i know this is hard for some people,

is just not being so whiny about it all the time. (I am guilty of this myself in the past so I know what I'm on about.)

Quite a lot of it is feeling sorry for oneself and making a big deal out of it and making such a song and dance and having to tell everyone every innate detail of your depression and tbh people don't like this shit after a while because all you're doing is just propogating your own misery by wallowing in it and its annoying to some people because you're moaning about problems that you seem to refuse to remedy or change.

Some people are alright with endless tales of depression but others really get annoyed at it sometimes. And then of course you sulk because MY DEPRESSIOON IS IMPORTAAAANNNT!!!!!! but no it actually turns out they've got a lot more worse shit going on and they're just not talking about it much and it all kind of puts things in perspective and then some people insist on sulking cos they're embarassed about this and it's just like ffs just shut up and drop the whole thing and just get on with not making a such big deal about your depression instead

i won't lie, although its not as intense as other peoples stuff, I'm more in the region of numb indifferent self-loathing apathy as far as depression goes, but a bunch of recent changes and realisations are beginning to sort that out, and i definitely wouldn't consider myself "more" worthy of depression pity. its a problem a lot of us have, thats it. I'll get out of it one day, so will everyone else. the end.

self-deprecating humour and not taking everything/oneself so fucking seriously all the time also helps a lot too

no stupid depressed goth poetry either, no-one likes that shit and its not cute or funny

draw art about it if that helps but don't make it so laudable and "me crying black roses this is me being soooooooo depressed" and stupid stuff like that

depressed attention whoring is blatantly obvious most of the time

also don't angle for sympathy all the fucking time. I'm not naming names but some people just drive me mad going on about different forms of Circumstances and by god it really gets annoying after a while yes ok you had shit in your life so did we the difference is we're just shutting up about it because we don't feel the need to go on about it all the goddamn time. The more you wallow in how terrible your life is/was the more depressed you will end up, its a simple fact. the more you make out your life was SO INCREDIBLY MUCH MORE TERRIBLE than everyone else, the more you will convince yourself into sadness.

no making a huge fucking stupid morrisey act about it either i am sick to death of people trying to be morrisey and make their depression this COOOL THING like all sitting on a chair all taking a puff of a cigarette I'M SO COOOOL COS I'M DEPRESSED **sad pictures** good god theres one on some stupid blogging site i go to and it drives me insane all the "i'm so sad i'm such an unattractive piece of shit" despite not being that terrible looking and the whole just having to get the "i'm so depressed" in almost every post its like no!!!!!!!!! you have to also pack that shit in asap someone else made that kind of stupid stuff famous and they're an intolerable ass too

once people start to realise that it isnt' this huge exclusive thing and they are soooooo hard done by then they start to kinda be a little bit realistic about it and begin to be slightly more sensible about the whole thing and thats where the fun starts in getting rid of it. a lot of it is how you treat it in your head to be honest.

granted, like a major phobia of mine, i don't think i'll truly be rid of it, but i know i'll get better to the level where things are manageable and thats fine by me.
    Last edited by Damon Gant; 06-Feb-2011 at 00:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Gant View Post
    Some people are alright with endless tales of depression but others really get annoyed at it sometimes. And then of course you sulk because MY DEPRESSIOON IS IMPORTAAAANNNT!!!!!! but no it actually turns out they've got a lot more worse shit going on and they're just not talking about it much and it all kind of puts things in perspective and then some people insist on sulking cos they're embarassed about this and it's just like ffs just shut up and drop the whole thing and just get on with not making a such big deal about your depression instead.
    I used to be very much guilty of being in the MY DEPRESSION IS IMPORTANT crowd.

I used to be very much guilty of thinking my depression was overwhelming and all-consuming, and that it justified inexcusable behaviors I used to partake in.

I also used to believe that all of my rage and frustrations against others were justified.

I can't afford the dubious luxury of rage, frustration or depression anymore in this lifetime. I had to realise that I am only responsible for my own behaviours, and that it was up to me to clean my own house and my own side of the street, and that whining to others about how filthy it was was not going to make it any cleaner.

I can safely say that I no longer feel angry at just about anybody. I have learned to forgive all - including myself, who was the hardest person for me to forgive. I had done a lot of irresponsible and selfish things in this lifetime, and I masked them by using resentments against others to shield myself from deeper resentments against myself. I really had to grow the fuck up in that respect.

One of the things that I have to do is to admit where I was horribly wrong to everybody I was horribly wrong to. Apologies mean nothing in those cases - I can't just be horribly hurtful to another and turn around and just say, "Sorry". The best I can do is admit where I was wrong, and openly recognise that no matter what the other person may have done, it did not justify my behaviours. I am only responsible for my side of the street - I have to clean up the wreckage I have littered it with so I can truly move on. The best way I can make amends is to be completely honest, and to not go down those roads again.

Thanks for the well-thought out response, Damon Gant.
    Last edited by KaworuVsDrWily; 06-Feb-2011 at 00:49. Reason: added a paragraph or two

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    I used to be very much guilty of being in the MY DEPRESSION IS IMPORTANT crowd.

I used to be very much guilty of thinking my depression was overwhelming and all-consuming, and that it justified inexcusable behaviors I used to partake in.

I also used to believe that all of my rage and frustrations against others were justified.

I can't afford the dubious luxury of rage, frustration or depression anymore in this lifetime. I had to realise that I am only responsible for my own behaviours, and that it was up to me to clean my own house and my own side of the street, and that whining to others about how filthy it was was not going to make it any cleaner.

I can safely say that I no longer feel angry at just about anybody. I have learned to forgive all - including myself, who was the hardest person for me to forgive. I had done a lot of irresponsible and selfish things in this lifetime, and I masked them by using resentments against others to shield myself from deeper resentments against myself. I really had to grow the fuck up in that respect.
    thats the thing

a lot of people seem to think its this terribly important thing and feel so justified in what they think being right ALL the time

i admit i do get a bit angry about depression-wallowing people and they might be offended by a lot of my post and fair enough but i have been there myself i've done the crappy goth poetry and the angling for sympathy and i am deeply embarassed about it and can actually admit i did a lot of that sort of shit in my past

yes i hate a lot of people and things and I know at the end of the day thats just me being a miserable twat and i am okay with that as i don't often mean a lot of it in earnest. i just work in retail alongside doing a degree and just ended up getting retail misanthropia tbh. a lot of it i have sussed out and understand within myself, and a lot of the stuff i haven't i just have to keep working at.

i moan and bitch a lot but thats because i'm a miserable twat and i can laugh and be reasonable and poke fun of myself at that a lot. some people if you call them out on being a miserable twat will instantly fly into a tantrum and you're like "whoa whoa calm down"

also, yes, I do find some stuff i get upset with or depressed over with others is because i'm refusing to see my own faults and projecting them on other people. This was one of the things i had trouble with initially but once i realised that this was MY problem and not theirs matter-of-fact, it helped in being able to deconstruct it.

yes i know i have some problems but i don't make a big deal out of it and i know i have the whole "ugh people" thing but thats cos i'm inexperienced with people (what a lot of people who believe they have aspergers will often find out is that they just don't have a lot of experience in dealing with people tbh)

one good thing about it all is having that unburning confidence that you will eradicate all the stuff you dislike inside yourself. (i,e, overcoming your own problems not like burning away the fat on your hips with a soldering iron you know what i mean)

confidence isn't this big stupid fucking showboat of arrogance like some people seem to think it is (it's usually hilarious when their egos are as big and fragile as hollow ostrich eggs) but it's just this innate quiet knowledge that yes, you aren't great at everything and you are a bit bad at stuff, but with perseverance, patience and diligence you will overcome it. take knitting for instance, I knew i could do it if i got to grips with it, and after an initial month of horrid scarfs and trial and error i'm halfway through knitting a skull illusion scarf and a rainbow afghan blanket and couldn't be happier.

if i may be slightly hippyish here, everyone has the potential to be happy, they just have to realise this. I've got so far and also have a huuuuuuuuuge goddamn road ahead of me but *shrug* i'm pretty sure i'll do it ok

Thanks for the well-thought out response, Damon Gant.
    hahaha thank you it was mostly mental diarrhoea i was writing i thought

but thank you nonetheless C:

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Exercise, drinking water, regular sleep, and sunlight. It may not work for everyone, but it can help. Exercising releases Endorphins which basically make you feel good naturally. Drinking more water can help, especially if you drink mostly soda, coffee, and/or energy drinks. Sunlight. There is a known condition called Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD). Basically, you get depression during the fall and winter months due to the lack of sun. The same thing can apply if you work night shift. You can get some Sunlight Bulbs to help if you combat the lack of sun exposure and help with SAD.

Also note, problems don't go away by themselves. If something specific is getting you down, avoiding it and hoping it will just go away is not the right answer. That's if there is a specific issue. There are times when you don't know what the issue is, and that's okay. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranthor View Post
    Sunlight. There is a known condition called Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD). Basically, you get depression during the fall and winter months due to the lack of sun. The same thing can apply if you work night shift. You can get some Sunlight Bulbs to help if you combat the lack of sun exposure and help with SAD.
    fdhadfkdhasfldshfkldsf yes this this this this **points about 20 arrows towards this**

i can link to some studies if anyone wants but there is a very understated correlation between depression and lack of vitamin d

in the sunlight the UVB makes our bodies produce vitamin d3 in a very boring process i will not go into and it is theorised that there is a strong link between lack of vitamin d and depression during winter when we get nowhere near enough sunlight cos of the sun being all "HAHAH BYE YOU NERDS" during the summer

a LOT of people do not get anywhere near enough vitamin d at all. The daily limit for vitamin d is also ridiculously low and there is talk of perhaps upping it one of these days.

you usually don't need a sad box to be honest as those are a waste of money. A bright lamp and a high (3000IU - 5000IU) vitamin d3 supplement (must be d3 and not d2) (must be gelcaps and not some solid block tablet which won't be assailed into the system as well) will do you just as well.

If possible ask for a 25(OH)D serum blood test to see if you have drastically low levels of this.

but yes oh my god high strength vitamin d3 those in countries which aren't sunny an awful lot (esp. the UK) look into this

also look into regulating melatonin with blue light. melatonin makes us slow and sleepy during the winter and a certain wavelength of blue light inhibits production of melatonin which is why you usually feel so alert when you see a blue sky i guess.

also investigate the link between omega 3 disbalance and depression (another boring long story about EHA and DHA being vital brain fatty acids and lack of them makes the brain have to shove together its own and that doesn't go too well)

(another depression culprit is an underactive thyroid gland so up your iodine as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Gant View Post
    fdhadfkdhasfldshfkldsf yes this this this this **points about 20 arrows towards this**

i can link to some studies if anyone wants but there is a very understated correlation between depression and lack of vitamin d
    Cool, points for me! I would actually like to see some of those studies

you usually don't need a sad box to be honest as those are a waste of money. A bright lamp and a high (3000IU - 5000IU) vitamin d3 supplement (must be d3 and not d2) (must be gelcaps and not some solid block tablet which won't be assailed into the system as well) will do you just as well
    I was not aware that would actually work. To be honest, the bulbs were something that I heard of, I never knew exactly why it would work. Thanks for the great info!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranthor View Post
    Cool, points for me! I would actually like to see some of those studies
    i'll link you to a thread in which a guy posts about the studies since he posts a bunch of links to them and i am too fat and lazy to format them all also some of them pop up as a pdf and i'm all "aaaaaaaaaa nooooo"

plus the ted hutchinson guy explains it better than i do

(scroll down to about post #8 and read the rest of the replies in the thread, he links to some pubmed studies on d3)

Cheap light box (SAD) - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

it initially starts off as an SAD lamp topic and then turns into a vitamin d3 topic hahaha

edit: I hear milk is fortified with vitamin D in some less sun-lucky parts of america so this may also be why

I was not aware that would actually work. To be honest, the bulbs were something that I heard of, I never knew exactly why it would work. Thanks for the great info!
    the bulbs or some form of bright light is still nice to have during winter just for the whole bright light aspect tbh

last winter i was on the high-strength d3 but still felt even though it'd be psychosomatic I felt i could have done with a bright light just to give me the feeling there was some sunlight thing going on.

definitely avoid the SAD lamps though i feel terrible they kinda just stick a lamp in a box and charge people for the privelidge of it when a bright energy saving task lamp will be cheaper and will do the job just as well

also for anyone curious about supplements to fight depression google "omega 3" and "depression" to find out more i guess since i found this levelled me out an awful lot too

oh also re: winter sleep problems light etc: F.lux: software to make your life better