Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it me, or is being depressed, anorexic, abused etc seen as "cool" these days

Default Is it me, or is being depressed, anorexic, abused etc seen as "cool" these days

I'm not really talking about anyone in particular here but, it seems that these days more people are kind of bragging about rape, depression, or other traumatic experiences that may have happened to them.

I used to have a friend who always talked about how her friend shot himself in front of her when she was like 7, how she cuts herself, and how suicidal she is. When in reality she is the happiest and most energetic person in the world.

There is also this other kid I used to be associated with, not going to name any names, but he always talked about how he cut himself and how he went to a mental hospital for being suicidal.

I don't know if it is just me, but when people are just that open about traumatic things like that, it kind of makes them seem like they are full of shit.

Actually this one time I was talking to this one kid at my mom's workplaces Christmas party, he was telling me about one time he was molested by his best friend, after I knew the guy for like 30 minutes. I knew he was full of shit because prior of making that statement, he was telling me all of these bull poop lies like "My dad works for bungie AND infinity ward. So I actually do have recon" (we were talking about halo 3 and call of duty 4)

I ended up punching that guy in the face, because I actually was molested by my best friend.
    It was rather refreshing.

Anyways, does anyone feel the same way?

From my experiences on 4ch0n it seems like depressed people try to one-up each other to see who's sadder, or something. It doesn't exactly invalidate the fact that they may be depressed for any reason, but it's interesting to see at least. I wouldn't really call it bragging, though - more of the sadlympic games, with sadletes doing sadput and sad jump and sadley relays.

Just because someone seems energetic and happy to you, doesn't necessarily mean they're not hurting a LOT inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    From my experiences on 4ch0n it seems like depressed people try to one-up each other to see who's sadder, or something. It doesn't exactly invalidate the fact that they may be depressed for any reason, but it's interesting to see at least. I wouldn't really call it bragging, though - more of the sadlympic games, with sadletes doing sadput and sad jump and sadley relays.
    In these sadlympics would the announcers be sad too?
    Because if they were that would either make it alot more boring.

"Oh here comes Smith... He is walking up the bar. He is going to try and hop it... Oh who cares... He is just going to end up crying on the mat, in the fetal position anyway"

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Just because someone seems energetic and happy to you, doesn't necessarily mean they're not hurting a LOT inside.
    I know what you mean, but I couldn't really explain it in another way than that.

I mean when I'm sad I just pretend to be happy so I'm not a bother to the people around me.

But to completely understand the person who I'm talking about, you have to know her.

Depressed people are often pessimistic and attention seeking and like wallowing in self-pity. Going on and on about bad stuff that happened to them is just a way to self-justify their self destructive behavior and seek pity from others.

That said, depression sucks and can be quite crippling. People can often try to suppress their feelings and troubles and take it out on themselves. There's nothing wrong with sharing your troubles with other people. And even when your depressed, you get the occasional high from a happy event.

And then you get people who just want to list tragic events as battle scars.

Dwhite

I hope not. I mean being cool doesn't matter that much to me but I don't want to be a loser because I am not depressed. That just seems wrong.

No, people are just who they are. Some of the ones talking about how depressed they are, really are. Others are just trying to get attention. Contrariwise, some people who seem happy are really on the edge, and just hiding it. Life is weird.

i totally agree. and furthermore i think a lot of people let themselves slide into real, crippling depression because it has this alluring mystique in our society. i'd posit it has something to do with the whitewashed suburban existence most kids lead these days where we're shielded from a lot of the horror and tragedy of the world, so any horror and tragedy we can lay our hands on seems all novel and romantic.

the only upside is that every time i get depressed i can think about how cool and intriguing i am for being all troubled. cheers me up every time!