Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone is Claiming My Work as Their Own

Default Someone is Claiming My Work as Their Own

To the one who is claiming "I, Infantilist" as their own work:

Please stop. Nothing makes an author more upset than when someone with horrible spelling skills and little sense of the art of writing claims to have written a work that is clearly not theirs.

I am going on year three with fine-tuning and writing out the rest of the story, and I'd much appreciate it if you came forward and admitted to posing as me. This can be done in here, or in a Private Message if you do not wish to be publicly known as a thief.

By someone's good graces, it has come to my attention that you were/are running around, telling people that you were/are the author. This cannot be possible for a variety of reasons, one being that I have had this profile for a little over two years and have been posting the work since I joined, and two being I have purchased the copyright for "I, Infantilist", thus making the work mine and mine alone.

I'm not even sure if you have an account on here, but if you do and if you can see this, I will again ask you to stop what you're doing, for you have now made me wary of posting the final chapters of the story on here or any other forum out of fear that you will have access to the story in its entirety.

Thanks,

Dr_J

... purchased copyright?

Does not including (c) <year> Dr_J grant you copyright?

Anyway, I know zero about these stories--the only other one being "Ashley's Adventures" or what have you from the 1990s--and I connect "I, Infantilist" with your name. Clearly someone else will notice and call the person out on it?

(But, yes, this is most cruel and disgusting. Sorry.)

Contacting the site administrator will do it. Find out where it's being posted, provide proof of copyright, and tell them it's in violation of your copyright. Usually it's less work to just take it down than to laugh at you.

I'm all up for second chances.. but sitting there and stealing someone's hard work and saying it's your own is absolutely sick and twisted.

You've been working on this story for years you say? And some kid just comes on by and snatches it. Whom ever this kid is should be ashamed.

I wish I could say it was me, but even I'm not that big of an ass to plagiarize.

That makes me very angry....I've been checking every week for a looooong time to see the ending of that story. I would hate to have all that wasted to never know.....because someone found a true original story and took it for themselves. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_J View Post

I'm not even sure if you have an account on here, but if you do and if you can see this, I will again ask you to stop what you're doing, for you have now made me wary of posting the final chapters of the story on here or any other forum out of fear that you will have access to the story in its entirety.
    This part confuses me. How were you made aware of the plagiarism, and where did it happen: on a different site?

Quote Originally Posted by satyrical View Post
    This part confuses me. How were you made aware of the plagiarism, and where did it happen: on a different site?
    I think what he means it this: he has only posted that story on this site. So the person whom has stolen his work must either have an account here, or someone must have given the thief his story.

The story was probably posted on a different website. A website where another of our members exists.

Dr_J, am I correct on this?

Every site that you see your work on, send them a message that the work is yours, and that posting your work without your permission is in violation of copyright laws, and threaten to send a official take down notice.
    Your work, as it is original, is protected under copyright laws no matter what, unless you state otherwise. You dont need to state anywere that it is copyright, nor do you need to do anything official for it to be copyright. Simply the act of making your own original story makes it copyright automatically.
    This is the same with all forms of art, photography, stories, painting, drawings, etc.

That being said, with copyright infringement being way out of control these days, one should expect there work to be infringed upon. The ONLY way you can keep your work 100% safe is to never post it online. If you want to share it online, you must try to strike a balance of security that they feel acceptable. Some people use watermarks and many types of notices to try to deter people from stealing there work. You could download a free PDF creator, make your story in PDF form, add a watermark, and make the file secure. You could also add a password to the PDF, so only people with the password can open it. A PDF can be uploaded to a safe sharing site, then linked to here.
    If you dont do anything to protect your work, and simply just post it on a message board, there is not much you can do to stop people from making there own copy, even that it is against the law. Your only option then, is to go after the people you know are infringing, but for every person you catch infringing, there are 20 that you dont see!

This is the reality of the internet, send those other sites a notice to take your story down, and think long and hard about how you want to share future work

Quote Originally Posted by satyrical View Post
    Someone who is fond of ADISC informed me of this individual. As far as I know, he hasn't posted it anywhere (yet) but has been telling people it's his in order to impress them. Regardless, simply the act of claiming a written work as your own is deceitful, dishonest, and downright stupid. In Grad School, you can bet you'd be expelled if you did such a thing. I've been scouring various web sites just to make sure my work hasn't been placed anywhere other than by me. So far so good...