Thread: Question about diaper sizing in general

Default Question about diaper sizing in general

Okay, so I know most medium sizes run about 32 inches in the waist up. My waist is 33 inches, so I'm definitely on the bottom end of that.

I got a sample of a pretty average diaper, and it's a size medium, but I'd say that it's definitely too big. It's not that I haven't put it on right, because it's as tight as I can make it, but the part that goes between the legs is way too wide. It wrinkles up and just doesn't look and feel right.

Since I've never ordered "real" diapers before (only goodnites), I'd just like to know before I buy - are most brands going to fit like this, simply because I'm on the very bottom end of the sizing? Or do you think this is the exception rather than the rule? Any advice on what to buy that might be "slimmer" cut?

you'd have to state which diaper it is that you've tried, and possibly show how it's fitting on you, for a decent answer to your question.
    diaper shapes/cuts vary widely and the general advice is that you simply have to try as many as you can to find the right one for you.
    it's hard at first, given the choices, but you soon whittle down to a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by blah View Post
    Okay, so I know most medium sizes run about 32 inches in the waist up. My waist is 33 inches, so I'm definitely on the bottom end of that.

I got a sample of a pretty average diaper, and it's a size medium, but I'd say that it's definitely too big. It's not that I haven't put it on right, because it's as tight as I can make it, but the part that goes between the legs is way too wide. It wrinkles up and just doesn't look and feel right.

Since I've never ordered "real" diapers before (only goodnites), I'd just like to know before I buy - are most brands going to fit like this, simply because I'm on the very bottom end of the sizing? Or do you think this is the exception rather than the rule? Any advice on what to buy that might be "slimmer" cut?
    You have remembered to "cup" the centre of the nappy around your genitals, haven't you? It's not really supposed to be flat between your legs. I made that mistake when I first started wearing (I'm also a 32" waist, for reference).

Ummm... I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but I'm female, so I'm pretty flat there naturally... is that what you're talking about?

It's the same basic approach whether male or female. You're aiming for the nappy to form a sort of pouch between your legs, rather than lying flat against your skin.

agreeing with Akastus, on the cupping/pouch issue. if you look at the instructions on most diaper packs, they'll show you how to unfold, shape and then fit as per the intent of the design. sounds silly [having instructions that way] but creating the V between the legs is important to absorbancy and especially to the speed with which fluid can be absorbed.

I'm somewhere between a medium and a small. I find that medum molicares run a bit smaller, so they don't conpletely swallow me.

I'm at the top end of abena medium, and I too had this problem but a little empty space between the legs spreads fluids further, prevents some imediate leaking if flooding, and you do eventually get used to it

Many diaper sizes overlap each other. So if your at the bottom end of one size, you should (theoretically) fit relatively comfortably into the next size down. It's a bit of a gamble though.

When in doubt I always size up. A diaper that is even a bit too small has a tendency to leak for me. Plus you get the added absorbency with a bigger size