Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swedish surveillance law passed

Exclamation Swedish surveillance law passed

I'm upset as I write this. In Sweden there has been much talk about a new law called the "FRA-law". FRA is short of Försvarets Radioanstalt which in English means The Defenses Radioinstitution. It meanst that the Swedish FRA now has the right to listen in and supervise all internet, telepfone or any kind of information sent between people. The system uses an unknown list of words, which if used gets your computer on a watchlist. The government is allowed to tap in on mobile chats and similar activities.

I think it's awful. Sure, I doubt I'll end up on a watchlist. But still, it feels wrong to know that some person I don't know might be reading my personal e-mails and such. It robs ones privacy. Sure, this law is meant to discover terrorists so it's for a good cause. But it's too drastic.

It seems almost like those stories. Fictional worlds where all information is gathered and supervised. I think it's a step in the wrong direction. This could if it kept going this way turn into a "Big Brother sees you" country.

How do you people react to this? Is there similar laws in your countries? I for one is planning to go protesting later this week against the decisions. I say it robs us our rights and integrity.

It's against the law to do that in the USA (Watergate scandal)...So it doesn't happen here

Curious, here is happening the opposite.
    Our Prime minister asked for reducing interception, so they can be used only for Terrorism and Mafia crimes, so he don't has nothing to worry about his crimes, he can't be discovered.

I think interception are useful to unmask criminals and should be allowed, but not on a so wide area.
    I don't know what that law says, but here before police or somebody can do phonecalls interception, they must ask to the judge if they can or not.
    Plus these interception can be published by newspapers (something called free information, now semi-dead).
    Thanks this law, Police here arrested people for serious financial crimes and homicides in the past, but soon this will end.

That is pretty bloody disgraceful, sounds like the Riksdag is as gutless as the Commons have grown to be over here.

Evidence acquired through wire tapping and the like is actually still inadmissible in court in Britain so that kind of measure isn't present here yet, though we have had our fair share of insidious affronts on liberty in the name of protecting against terrorism in recent years. Most recently seen in the attempts of the Government to extend the possible length of detention without trial to forty-two days under extreme circumstances.

Aside from the generally abhorrent principle of the Swedish law, logistically it must be a nightmare to enforce. The monetary cost and hours needed to practice it would surely be extraordinary making it not only wrong but hugely wasteful.

This was about the only comment I could find on it in English and it seems to be on the money.

FullMetal

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    It's against the law to do that in the USA (Watergate scandal)...So it doesn't happen here
    Wow...you are so wrong

No, it is not against the law here at all! It is actually called the Patriot Act.

Here is the wiki. You can read all about it.

It shouldn't be called the patriot act, it should be called the 'we can do what ever the hell we want at your expense' act...but they thought that would be too long of a name so they shortened it, and made it sound patriotic.

Fun fun!

FullMetal

Well i've heard that they do wire-taping in the US but i'm not 100% sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
    Wow...you are so wrong

No, it is not against the law here at all! It is actually called the Patriot Act.

Here is the wiki. You can read all about it.

It shouldn't be called the patriot act, it should be called the 'we can do what ever the hell we want at your expense' act...but they thought that would be too long of a name so they shortened it, and made it sound patriotic.

Fun fun!

FullMetal
    Yes, but that's for checking for terrorist acts and things against America...From what I've read about this Swedish rule, they haven't specified what they are doing it for, so it would be illegal here...Which is what happened with Watergate...

FullMetal

Yes, but that's for checking for terrorist acts and things against America...From what I've read about this Swedish rule, they haven't specified what they are doing it for, so it would be illegal here...Which is what happened with Watergate...
    They can say they are doing it for anything, it still doesn't change the fact that they can do it with out any evidence and just say 'its the patriot act' If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...chances are, it is not a sheep.

FullMetal

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
    They can say they are doing it for anything, it still doesn't change the fact that they can do it with out any evidence and just say 'its the patriot act' If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...chances are, it is not a sheep.

FullMetal

Well that would be illegal if they just say it's the Patriot Act and it's not really

FullMetal

Well that would be illegal if they just say it's the Patriot Act and it's not really
    Are you an American?

FullMetal