Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito devices - your views

Default Mosquito devices - your views

Mosquito devices, devices placed in communal areas/ outsite shops etc. which give off a very high pitvhed sound that only young people can here in order to deter them from meeting in that place. - Just wanted to here people's views on this.

In my opinion, I think its completely outrageous and discriminates against young people, if something was targeted at another minority group there would be public outcry. But of course, young people under 18 cant speak out for themselves becuase they dont have the power of the vote. Nevertheless, I understand I probably havent heard all sides of the argument so would like to here your views.

I've never actually seen one being used...But they must have been put there for a good reason...But they aren't the most efficient way of deterring someone, since some teens can't hear them, or some adults can hear them...I like how they are used for ringtones though

I think it's more of an England thing. We don't have them here, either. If they did, though, I'd be extremely ticked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    I think it's more of an England thing. We don't have them here, either. If they did, though, I'd be extremely ticked off.

Maybe they do and you just can't hear them! :O

I really think they are completely disgraceful and you're quite right, nothing that targeted a single subsection of society like these things do would be tolerated if it focused on anything other than youths and if there was a notable lobbying group or vote behind a subsection affected by such a thing it would not be tolerated. You can argue that they don't do anything terribly serious to the kids but it's the principle of the thing introducing something that affects a whole age range and, by extension, makes assumptions of every member of that age range when it is a minority of the group that actually exhibit antisocial behaviour is indefensible. I understand the concerns of shopkeepers and such about groups of kids gathering and intimating people outside their shops but these mosquitoes don't just affect them; they affect decent, ordinary young people who want to use facilities available for everyone without being targeted and punished. I also think they're antagonistic and provocative to the kids anyway and mostly serve to exaggerated the problem. A council somewhere (I want to say that it was in Kent but I'm not 100%) banned them recently and I would love to see that spread out across the country as a matter of basic liberty to go unharassed as a young person.

Also, they don't just effect kids, I was at a shop a couple of weeks ago with a mate of mine who is twenty-three and he was complaining of an irritating noise and I had no idea what he was talking about until we realised there was one of these mosquito things present.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    introducing something that affects a whole age range and, by extension, makes assumptions of every member of that age range when it is a minority of the group that actually exhibit antisocial behaviour is indefensible.
    Definitely

It must be something different, I had a misquito trap, but the only noise it made was from the fan running to inhale the pests, it had a 20lb propane tank that ran into a converter and gave off carbon dioxide to mimic exhaled air from humans.

I think the only bugs it caught were the ones that happend by, it was a waste of money.

I can see how an annoying high piched noise, would bother teens standing around, how would it be if everybody just used an Ipod, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    It must be something different, I had a misquito trap, but the only noise it made was from the fan running to inhale the pests, it had a 20lb propane tank that ran into a converter and gave off carbon dioxide to mimic exhaled air from humans.

I think the only bugs it caught were the ones that happend by, it was a waste of money.

I can see how an annoying high piched noise, would bother teens standing around, how would it be if everybody just used an Ipod, or something like that.

Not the same thing...What they are talking about refers to a high pitched noise that only young ears can hear...It's like a chirping sound, and it's used as ringtones, and things to attempt to deter teens from hanging around somewhere...Look up Mosquito noise, and you'll probably find it