Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Television Memories

Default Childhood Television Memories

A topic which has lit up many a classroom, lecture hall and, indeed, office. What were your favourite TV programmes as a kid? Obviously it's going to vary depending on where you grew up, but a few that I remember with affection:

Bertha an obscure BBC stop motion animation about a machine that could make anything. The theme tune was great 'Bertha, lovely Bertha. Sometimes I think you're a dream...'. Nobody I have ever spoken to seems to remember it.

ThunderCats 'Thunder, Thunder, ThunderCats!' A classic for the late eighties/early nineties generation. What the hell was the point of the Snarfs though?

Postman Pat Somehow doubt this one made it across the pond. Can't remember much ever happening in it but it was pleasant.

Charlie Chalk - Really quite surreal and featuring a clown in some way if I remember.

*at this point of writing the seat part of the chair I was sitting on became separated from the legs (a screw came loose as I swivelled) and I fell, rather unceremoniously on my arse. That's not relevant but I though it should be stated.*

X-Men I probably just wanted to be Wolverine, bub.

Fireman Sam & Thomas the Tank Engine More stop motion goodness.

Dogtanion and the Three Muskehounds A re-imagining of the Three Musketeers as dogs, obviously. I think it was of Spanish origin.

Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars I remember it for the theme tune more than anything, 'Bucky! Captain Bucky O'Hare! Mutants and aliens and toads beware'. Genius.

Superted About a superhero teddy bear as you would imagine. The opening sequence when Ted was discarded as faulty used to choke me up.

Mr Benn - Cartoon about a man who used to try on different fancy dress costumes at a shop every week and have crazy adventures corresponding to the clothes he wore.

Dangermouse - Anyone who didn't watch Dangermouse had an incomplete childhood. More intelligent and funnier than most adult attempts at satire.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, though I suspect there will be a few 'Oh, yeah, I used to love that'' moments when people start posting. What are yours then?

Rugrats - Four babies and their mischievous adventures.

Hey Arnold - That ol' football-shaped head kid.

All That - random skits with Amanda Bynes, Kenan and Kel, Lori Beth Denburg...you know. The GOOD All That.

Kenan and Kel - Aww, here it goes. Enough said.

Pokemon - I wanna be the very best. Like no-one ever was. :3

Power Rangers (Turbo) - Say what you will, this is the season I grew up with. So it's the best.

Rocko's Modern Life - I'm nauseous, I'm nauseous... @_@

Basically anything that was on Nickelodeon in the nineties. I'm a Nicktoon kid, yo. Represent. *cough*
    Last edited by Aki; 19-Jun-2008 at 14:27.

"The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh" its the cartoon one that came on in the late 80's or so. They dealt with somewhat dark stuff and scary stuff too sometimes.

Like walking crayons or Eeyore sitting on a hill watching clouds all emo like. His friends tried to cheer him up but at one point they just saw this is what makes him happy so they all just watched clouds together. Bittersweet ending.

Now the problem with the show is Disney has never put it out on DVD yet and it pisses me off.

I also liked the first "Double Dare" and "Wild n Crazy Kids". Then there was "Guts" and "Legend of the hidden temple"

This one is really going to age me, I remember the Little Rascals, Rocky and Bullwinkel, Soupy Sales, and loved the Popeye pre and post war cartoons, also Woody woodpecker, and Yogie Bear.

Power Rangers (what kid didn't like this show back in the early 90's?)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    GI Joe
    Batman (whatever version the early 90's cartoon was)
    Legends of the Hidden Temple
    Salute Your Shorts (I believe that was the name)
    Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    Hey Arnold (though I found it annoying after I got older)
    Rugrats (ditto)
    Rocko's Modern Life
    Pokemon (again, what kid didn't watch this show in the late 90's)

There were a bunch of others but those were the ones I liked to watch throughout my childhood (not counting when I was four or under though since at that point it was just your stereotypical baby shows like Care Bears, Sesame Street, Barney, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    This one is really going to age me, I remember the Little Rascals, Rocky and Bullwinkel, Soupy Sales, and loved the Popeye pre and post war cartoons, also Woody woodpecker, and Yogie Bear.
    We're in similar camps here. I loved those as a kid as well. In addition to those, I was on the Howdy Doody Show as one of the Peanut Gallery kids. I was 4 at the time. I also liked Disney. It was a new show then. I had to let my mom let me stay up later so that I could watch it. I also liked Andy's Gang and Heckel and Jeckel cartoons. I also would sneak and watch t.v. after midnight and watch Shock Theater.

Who's all-in for Scooby Doo? I remember Saturday mornings with that cartoon like it was yesterday. The older ones are way better than newer ones though...

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    We're in similar camps here. I loved those as a kid as well. In addition to those, I was on the Howdy Doody Show as one of the Peanut Gallery kids. I was 4 at the time. I also liked Disney. It was a new show then. I had to let my mom let me stay up later so that I could watch it. I also liked Andy's Gang and Heckel and Jeckel cartoons. I also would sneak and watch t.v. after midnight and watch Shock Theater.

Yeah, I remember those, well they say your only as old as you feel, in that case I'm still 19,

but it's like turing back the mileage on an old car it looks good, but you know it isn't the right mileage.

Kenan and Kel - Aww, here it goes. Enough said.
    That show had so many racial stereotypes >.>

Can't really remember to much about what shows I watch though...

For me, the list follows;
    DuckTales, I have that on DVD
    Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
    GI Joe, the 80s version
    Scooby-Doo
    Tom and Jerry
    Alf
    The Flintstones
    And a whole list and I am not sure where to even begin. Even Dangermouse is on that list.

Wildthing121675