Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Favorite kids books that really take you back...

  1. #1

    Red face Favorite kids books that really take you back...

    I'm taking a class right now that's an analysis of various types of children's literature. Since its the very start of the semester, we started with baby books and will work our way up into adolescent literature.

    Anyways, we read "Pat the Bunny" today and it really took me back. I just sat there and fantasized about my girlfriend reading me this book, all warm and cuddled up with her. It also brought back very fond memories from when I was a kid. Any of the Eric Carl books really have a nostalgic value to them, as well as "Harold and the Purple Crayon".

    Any favorites that you liked to read when you were a kid, or even right now?! (and not just basic baby books)

  2. #2

    Default

    Curious George!

    I just loved all of those books when I was little. "George was curious..."

  3. #3

    Default

    I liked I am a bunny (Richard Scarry), Car and Trucks and Things that Go (Richard Scarry), Best Word Book Ever (uhh...) and quite a few others. I own pretty much all of them now because I have read them again and again to my kids. I have a rule that I read a minimum of 1 hour a night to them. Mostly, we blow through children's lit at a rate of about 40 or 50 novels per year.

  4. #4

    Default

    Well, Curious George defiantly is one I enjoyed, I think it was the first book I was able to read by myself (that, or Clifford the Big Red Dog). As an older child, I read a lot of Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown. Into adolescence, I would read Tolkien, C.S. Lewis (The Narnia series is still tops, and I read it every few years or so), King, Clive Cussler, and more.

    I still read a lot, and am now somewhere in the middle of The Alchemist (he's just parted from the crystal vendor).

    I wonder, we've all grown up, what about them? Do you ever wonder what happened to Curious George and other characters from our childhoods?

    There is a short documentary on Curious George here: Bananas In Bedlam | SPIKE (BTW: This is probably Rated PG-13 or R for language and themes).
    Last edited by inpampers; 19-Jan-2011 at 04:40. Reason: Punctuation correction

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by inpampers View Post
    I still read a lot, and am now somewhere in the middle of The Alchemist (he's just parted from the crystal vendor).
    Hmm... I just bought that the other day because I'm traveling for a week and I don't really watch TV so have to kill time in the hotel. Maybe I should actually open it and start reading it...

  6. #6

    Default

    These are all great replies everyone!! I absolutely loved Curious George growing up

    And HappyDL, I think its fantastic that you put that much effort into reading to your kids. I've heard that its one of the best things you can do for your kids when it comes to an early education (and much later down the road, my mom actually read to me till I was probably 12 or so, Harry Potter and such).

    And inpampers, I definitely agree with you on the Narnia series. I saw the latest movie and was happy with it, but nothing (and I mean NOTHING) beats having a good book to read before you go to bed. My girlfriend recently got a kindle and I'm actually a tad apposed to it. Technology is scaring me, but books never will

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ironchef111 View Post
    And HappyDL, I think its fantastic that you put that much effort into reading to your kids. I've heard that its one of the best things you can do for your kids when it comes to an early education (and much later down the road, my mom actually read to me till I was probably 12 or so, Harry Potter and such).
    Thanks! My oldest is 12 and has no intention of stopping listening anytime soon. I plan to keep reading to them until no one wants to listen anymore. So far this year we've read the first Barnaby Grimes book by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell (who wrote edge chronicles also, authors we love!), Corby Flood -- also by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, Storm: The Infinity Code, one other that's escaping my memory right now and we just started on Oilver Twist because it's nice to mix in some classics. And it's only the 20th day of the year! These were all great books! The honest truth is that I love it as much as they do.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ironchef111 View Post
    I'm taking a class right now that's an analysis of various types of children's literature. Since its the very start of the semester, we started with baby books and will work our way up into adolescent literature.

    Anyways, we read "Pat the Bunny" today and it really took me back. I just sat there and fantasized about my girlfriend reading me this book, all warm and cuddled up with her. It also brought back very fond memories from when I was a kid. Any of the Eric Carl books really have a nostalgic value to them, as well as "Harold and the Purple Crayon".

    Any favorites that you liked to read when you were a kid, or even right now?! (and not just basic baby books)
    There is a wiki entry about this very topic. I would encourage books to go there, otherwise we will go through this same thread time and again.

  9. #9
    EmLamby

    Default

    Snot Stew was my favourite book as a kid... It was about kittens who were brother and sister and they fought just like real sibling... I don't remember all the details.. haven't read it in a while.
    And also "A Little Golden Book" series.. all of those books were the best. <3

  10. #10

    Default

    i remember a few from when i was a kid. My dad used to make a lot of stories up for us though. I think for me it has to be peter rabbit. What a lovely story.
    I never quite understood the point in nursery ryhymes though. They say each one has a moral behind it (which in some cases is fairly dark) I never quite got the moral behind humpty dumpty though....at least not for 5 or 6 year old boys and girls....I cant think of anything other than perhaps..."don't sit on a wall if your an egg" not really relevant to kids i guess

Similar Threads

  1. What is You Favorite Kids Movie
    By PaSS in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2010, 03:49
  2. whats your favorite kids show?
    By PaSS in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2010, 20:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.