Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Abena X-Plus really more absorbant than Depends?

AndrewThatsMyName

Default Are Abena X-Plus really more absorbant than Depends?

I'm sorry for posting this, but like most of us under the age of 18-20, we don't get to experience diapers ordered online, unless they can get better diapers. I have had to stick with Depends (which leak all the time) and my question is, are Abena X-Plus' really more absorbant than depends? Will they leak as often as them? This is a stupid question, I know.

It's very true. The Wiki has several useful articles that have all kinds of facts about different kinds, which should help you decide which one you might want to order

Andrew there are a few site that show what the differnces between diapers and how much they hold out there. One of them I like is xpmedical.com but they don't have all of the different cheaper brands, only the ones they carry. You can get an idea tho from 'premium diapers' tho and then get an idea how little the others hold compared to them. Something else i might suggest is create like an excel sheet that lists all the diapers you find or are curious about in your size and do searches for each to find out how much each holds - and what the best cost you can find is then how much each it costs. This might help you. Naturally you can make it as detailed as you want for listing several sites for price compareing. I did this a while back and it really helped me learn a lot.

btw, to answer your question tho -

Depends Maximum Large Overnight Brief holds up to 37 oz. of fluid, or 4 2/3 cups.

Abena X-Plus Medium (larger sizes holds a bit more) max capacity is 75 oz. or 9.375 cups

Active Ultra Plus Large (different between websites) from 120 oz to 148 oz (15-18.5 cups)

http://www.adultdiaper.com/site/images/g2.gif

Dry24/7 still holds the record tho I believe at around 155-170 oz.

the differences in amounts is from the different ways the tests were done.

You might also want to look up the differences in the materials used because it might make a difference between which brand you use too. Pulp (wood pulp) holds a lot and doesn't swell but it does clump up. Gel swells a lot more but doesn't clump near as much. Gel also wicks faster (spreads the wetness around more). Molicare is mostly gel so it wicks faster to the back but swells up a LOT like the Dry24's. Abena has a lot more pulp so it's thicker to begin with and doesn't swell as much but also clumps pretty bad. Actives are about 60gel/40pulp so it works out to a pretty even mix. Moli's and Dry's are pretty hidden under clothes but swell up a lot and easier to see when wet - Abena it thicker under clothes when dry but stays about the same with little more swelling. Actives are very discreet but if you let them get soaked then they will start to swell thru clothes.

You need to do a lot of personal research and the only real way to find the best diaper for your personal needs is plain old trial and error.
    Last edited by kitsiulla; 16-Jan-2011 at 09:34.

Loopygone

You are far far out with the x-pluses kitsiulla. They hold twice as much as you stated, up to 3900ml. Even the graph you posted shows that :X. Never head of active ultra plus, are these a new brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    You are far far out with the x-pluses kitsiulla. They hold twice as much as you stated, up to 3900ml. Even the graph you posted shows that :X. Never head of active ultra plus, are these a new brand?
    Well I did say the differences in amounts is from the different ways the tests were done too - that number came from XPmedical.com Adult Diaper Review and Testing but there are other sites that show it holds more too and some that shows it even hold way less but I know those are wrong. Active Ultra Plus isn't 'new' they just haven't got the publicity. I have put reviews on them, pics and others have posted here on them also. They are plastic backed with velcro landing area. For a while there was a problem with the velcro strip popping off but I think they have it fixed (or it could be that I just figured out after a while where the 'sweet spot' is because I don't have any problems with them at all now. They hold almost as much as Dry24's but don't swell up so much so I can still wear them under slacks and tighter jeans without showing. You can see it on www.activediaper.com

X plus diapers are probably some of the most absorbent diapers out there. You definitely get your money out of them, they were my first and I'd order them again for sure.

It is true I'm in an Abena X-Plus now. You will be very pleased when you finally get to try them for yourself

-Gus

My experiences with the Abena X-plus series was very positive, both comfortable and being able to hold plenty of liquid. Might I also recommend Tranquility All through the Night, I found those to be about equal, and a bit thinner when dry, if that is a concern.

Having used both myself, depends don't even compare. The way the Xpluses are built is much more effective than the depends maximum protection. I've only have them leak once, and that's because I was almost trying to make them leak. Depends leak 9 times out of 10 for me.

Loopygone

Quote Originally Posted by kitsiulla View Post
    Well I did say the differences in amounts is from the different ways the tests were done too - that number came from XPmedical.com Adult Diaper Review and Testing but there are other sites that show it holds more too and some that shows it even hold way less but I know those are wrong. Active Ultra Plus isn't 'new' they just haven't got the publicity. I have put reviews on them, pics and others have posted here on them also. They are plastic backed with velcro landing area. For a while there was a problem with the velcro strip popping off but I think they have it fixed (or it could be that I just figured out after a while where the 'sweet spot' is because I don't have any problems with them at all now. They hold almost as much as Dry24's but don't swell up so much so I can still wear them under slacks and tighter jeans without showing. You can see it on www.activediaper.com
    It's just the way you posted those results it looked like they were all done via the same testing method. XPmedical's tests are usually the standard to go for, since they seem to test them all the same way :P. Of course you're never going to get the full capacity stated, on any brand.

It does come across that you don't particularly like abena's through. I found that recently their wicking performance improved a lot. Also in your first post you stated that gel aids in wicking, when in fact it does the opposite. The gel sucks up and retains fluids, stopping it wicking. I find this most prevalent in Molicare's or Bambinos (well actually cuddlz at the time, but same difference :P) The amount of gel in them caused them to swell at the front, stopping the nappy from wicking towards the rear. If you can only pee standing up, you're not going to use the nappy to it's full effect.

I don't want to come across as having a go, these are just my experiences with various brands :P. More to the point, at the top level of adult incontinence wear it becomes a matter of user preference I find. Abenas, Molicares, Attends, etc; all perform very well in certain areas, and it's up to the buyer to find out which area he wants his undergarment of choice to perform in best :P. Saying that, I still haven't tried Dry 24/7's, They might blow everything else out of the water, but sadly they are not available in the UK .