Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sore throat

Default sore throat

Anyone know any good ways to help a sore throat to stop hurting. I took some medicine for it and it helped a little (not much) but I want 90 percent of the pain to go away at the very least. Thanks for the help.

Gargle with salt water (whole glass) and take 2-3 ibuprofen. Then don't eat or drink anything with large amounts of sugar in it for the rest of the day.
    Works for me every time.

Drink hot tea with honey. Gargling Salt Water also helps.

Just gargle salt water. Done.

If the pain returns, gargle salt water again.

When I get a sore throat I use the Halls cough drops with the liquid center. They really sooth a sore throat pretty well. Also get well soon!!!!!

Yes, the salt water and acetaminophen or ibuprofen are the best recommendations. If it continues by tomorrow, or you have a fever, you may want to go in to get checked for strep throat (a simple swab culture.) It is important to actually treat strep, because untreated, it could develop into some really nasty stuff.

My silver bullet is cream soda. A few years ago I had a bad case of strep and methodically went through every remedy on the internet and every poison in my local drugstore. Nothing worked. Out of frustration, I happened to drink some cream soda (still don't know why). It was like effing Roto-Rooter for my throat. Worked awesomely. Every person I've ever suggested this to said it worked fantastically. When I was a teacher, I actually kept a box in my closet just for emergencies.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    Yes, the salt water and acetaminophen or ibuprofen are the best recommendations. If it continues by tomorrow, or you have a fever, you may want to go in to get checked for strep throat (a simple swab culture.) It is important to actually treat strep, because untreated, it could develop into some really nasty stuff.
    Seconded on this. Not treating strep can, of all things, lead to autoimmune disorders affecting the heart. It doesn't seem logical, but it makes sense if you know the biochemistry involved. But it's really super important to treat it for this reason. I'm actually pretty sure I've read members of this board indicate indirectly that they have this problem- it's extremely real.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post

Seconded on this. Not treating strep can, of all things, lead to autoimmune disorders affecting the heart. It doesn't seem logical, but it makes sense if you know the biochemistry involved. But it's really super important to treat it for this reason. I'm actually pretty sure I've read members of this board indicate indirectly that they have this problem- it's extremely real.
    Or worse. There are some particularly nasty strains of Strep that can actual be fatal in themselves. A couple of years ago, I was gifted with an infection which I later discovered had a 20% mortality rate. Though if you had one of them, you'd have a lot more than a sore throat.

Depending on your physical age, if you are legal, high proof ethanol can knock back an infection. It needs to be a minimum of 101 proof, preferably higher. It works because ethanol (alcohol that humans can drink) is quite an effective surface antiseptic. It hurts like fire, but it can do the job if you are unable to schedule for a doctor. Not my favorite method, but it is effective.
    Also, not a good idea for anyone who is in the AA program.

Besides the salt water I also use Chloraseptic and zinc lozenges. The zinc coats the throat. I also find lemon juice effective as acids will kill bacteria.