Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java un/installation problem.

Default Java un/installation problem.

I'm not the best at explaining things, so bare(bear?) with me!

Some months ago I installed Java, because it was needed to play Minecraft.
    Java didn't seem to like me much. It gave me the fun little Blue Screen of Death.
    Several times. I entered safe mode, uninstalled Java, all was well!

Nope. I decided that "maybe Java was acting nutty. I'll try it once more, and if it BSOD's me once again, I'll un-install it again."

I downloaded Java, and began the installation.
    This is when things just was not looking good for me..

Error 1723 reared its ugly head.

Now, doing some sleuthing online, I discovered two things might have occurred:

1: Java's installation may have gone bad.
    2: Windows Installer is out-dated.

1. I can't tell if Java's installation did go bad, due to Java being a cock and not working at all. Firefox, IE, Chrome, nothing registered that Java even existed. Which is why I tried installing it a second time. I had no way of knowing that it was there in the first place.

2. I cannot find a single Windows Installer update. At all. I've found installations, but each of them either tell me it's incompatible, or it is the valid install, but my machine is invalid. Yeah, I know, I couldn't entirely make heads or tails of it either.

And because the above is a cluster fuck of text, I'll attempt to make it easier...

No browser detects my current Java download.
    Attempted installation.
    Error 1723.
    Cannot uninstall current Java version.
    Reason: Error 1723.

Google is no help to me, what-so-ever.

Java: Java 6 Update 23

I'll supply more information as needed.

---------- Post added 13-01-2011 at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-01-2011 at 07:13 PM ----------

Never thought I would be forced to bump a thread.

Shameless self-bump. I don't give a damn if bumping is silly or not.
    Last edited by KuroCat; 13-Jan-2011 at 03:25.

How is google no help to you? I googled for java error 1723 and I came up with this page:

Java Error 1723

Yeaaaah, I tried that page several times.

None of it worked for me.
    Java just has a keen dislike of me, I 'spose.

Which is why I said that "Google is no help to me." Because I've googled basically every variation of Error 1723 I possibly could.

I suppose I should explain as to why it did not work for me..

The steps for proving it was not a Windows Installer error held no information as to if it is or not. I figure it is a Windows Installer problem, for that's all it can really be at this point.

The thing is.. every version of Windows Installer good ol' Microsoft has available for download does not work for me.

Either my OS is not the correct version, or my "machine is invalid, but the version is valid."

hmm, it's hard to tell from a distance.

you could check the eventlog to see if there's more on the error there, and if not, keep searching for the right windows installer.
    oh, and running windows update couldn't hurt either (unless you were naughty without a good crack of course )

I was thinking I should go into Safe Mode and attempt to delete Java from there.

Also.. Java is acting nutty on my Control Panel.

This whole Java problem isn't a crisis or anything, it's just obnoxious that there is something on my PC that I cannot do anything about so far..

Just delete the Java files for that install.

If you have a JAVA_HOME environment variable pointing to it, remove it.

Get it out of the program list:
    How to manually remove programs from the Add or Remove Programs tool

Can try installing from scratch if you're keen on having Java.

Have you tried running the System File Checker? If you haven't, first run the command prompt as an administrator (right-click command prompt and select "run as administrator"). Navigate to your hard drive's root directory (assuming your hard drive is the "C:" drive, just type "cd/"). Type "sfc /scannow" and see what happens. By the way, don't physically type the quotation marks in the command prompt. It takes it a few minutes for it to get done scanning. Also, if it finds out that a .dll file is missing/corrupt, it may prompt you to insert the windows installation CD. Anyway, hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat View Post
    Just delete the Java files for that install.

If you have a JAVA_HOME environment variable pointing to it, remove it.

Get it out of the program list:
    How to manually remove programs from the Add or Remove Programs tool

Can try installing from scratch if you're keen on having Java.
    I've tried manually uninstalling. It's to no avail, Error 1723 stops me from uninstalling.
    "Java 6 Update 23" is the only Java program I have, which is insanely irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by bomb851 View Post
    Have you tried running the System File Checker? If you haven't, first run the command prompt as an administrator (right-click command prompt and select "run as administrator"). Navigate to your hard drive's root directory (assuming your hard drive is the "C:" drive, just type "cd/"). Type "sfc /scannow" and see what happens. By the way, don't physically type the quotation marks in the command prompt. It takes it a few minutes for it to get done scanning. Also, if it finds out that a .dll file is missing/corrupt, it may prompt you to insert the windows installation CD. Anyway, hope this helps.
    Doing it now; will edit (or repost) with results. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    I've tried manually uninstalling. It's to no avail, Error 1723 stops me from uninstalling.
    "Java 6 Update 23" is the only Java program I have, which is insanely irritating.
    It's not really "manually uninstalling". It's just removing it from the installed program list, so you don't get that error when you bring the list up.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat View Post
    It's not really "manually uninstalling". It's just removing it from the installed program list, so you don't get that error when you bring the list up.
    What will happen is.. everything will run like it's supposed to, the bar will fill, letting my know the program is being uninstalled from my computer. As soon as it hits the end, then that obnoxious, hateful error!

It's terrible.

I guess I'll never play Minecraft D: