Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas on cleaning a coffeemaker

Default Ideas on cleaning a coffeemaker

OK, so I have this really nice coffeemaker that I have neglected to clean. I use it regularly enough but on a whim decided to inspect it. Lets just say that I wasn't pleased at what I've been drinking lately.

I've used three methods of cleaning coffeemakers in the past;
    running a solution of lemon juice through a cycle then flushing with a cycle of water,
    running straight white vinegar through a cycle then flushing with a cycle of water,
    and running a bleach solution through followed by several cycles of water to flush the chlorine.

Of course the last is only used when I am fearful of the science project mutating me and turning me into **Caffeine Man!

So, a question for the brightest and best I've found online, biker sites just don't tend to have Mensa candidates, do you have any reputable methods of killing germs in a reservoir that cannot be scrubbed all without killing the poor fellow intent on drinking from that cistern?

**Caffeine Man; defender of the tired who is able to vibrate through solid rock and fights his greatest enemies such as Sandman, and inefficient office morning man.

I have had good success with the coffee pot cleaners you can find on the coffee aisle. I have also started using reverse osmosis water for making mine to avoid the scale build-up.

I've never seen reverse osmosis water sold. Is it comparable to distilled water?

Though I imagine I'm using some of the cleanest water possible since I have a spring fed well.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    I've never seen reverse osmosis water sold. Is it comparable to distilled water?

Though I imagine I'm using some of the cleanest water possible since I have a spring fed well.
    It does not matter how clean it is it's the mineral content that gums up appliences. Pouring vinigar in and swishing it around usually gets rid of scale. I assume that you are talking about mineral scale and not comonies of mold or something.

revesre osmosis is a less energy intesive way of removing minerals and other contaminents from water.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyMan View Post
    I assume that you are talking about mineral scale and not colonies of mold
    I'm not sure if it was mold but something was in the reservoir and prompted a thorough cleaning.

My R.O. water comes from a R.O. unit installed under my sink. I live in a new house, and all the new houses here have them.

Black = mold, red= another kind of harmless bacteria that turns up when there's a lot of disturbed earth around, like construction. I had this turn up in my taps and the city water guy came around and explained it. Nothing to worry about.

green of course, is algae. Any other color is probably mineral in nature.

Good idea to clean it of course, but since the water gets pretty hot on the way to your coffee grounds, there's little chance that any live, dangerous pathogens could find their way to your cup.

Yeah, vinegar (distilled) is the standard thing to clean coffee pots with. Run some through a few times and you should be golden.

try vinager too. and bleach. then rinse ALOT of water through.

Simple, CLR that bitch.

YouTube - CLR Calcium Lime and Rust Remover

Actually I've never trusted any kind of cleaner that looks like a jug of liquid pluming cleaner. They say it's non-toxic but really. <_>