Thread: DnB

Default DnB

I've seen the techno/trance thread and thought there must be some junglists out there?

I can't be the only one, surely not.

I've been to a dnb/jungle/rave party before. And i've seen pendulum live 2 times so yeah i like it :-)

I used to think that DnB was crap until someone played London Electricity at a party I was at, and for the first time I could appreciate just how good electronic music could be. I started listening to it and now have turned from Rock/metal fan to DnB/dance/trance lover. Dont get me wrong I love my rock still but DnB has really kicked off in the last few years and there is some great quality music out there. Im still a big fan of liquid DnB but have been really getting into the dubstep scene the last year... Its all gravy
    Who are your top 5 favorite artists?

Loopygone

I'm another junglist, dnber, dubstepper :P. I love Dnb, it can just be applied to so many styles and genres of music, and make them all sound awesome, Trancy dnb, Housey Dnb, acid house dnb (Danny Byrd released an album last year called rave digger, its filled with old skool sound tunes ), rocky dnb, heavy dnb, light dnb, etc etc etc. I just love it in almost all it's forms (don't like the clownstep stuff :X). I love listening to it, I love dancing to it, I love making it, I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote0024 View Post
    I used to think that DnB was crap until someone played London Electricity at a party I was at, and for the first time I could appreciate just how good electronic music could be. I started listening to it and now have turned from Rock/metal fan to DnB/dance/trance lover. Dont get me wrong I love my rock still but DnB has really kicked off in the last few years and there is some great quality music out there. Im still a big fan of liquid DnB but have been really getting into the dubstep scene the last year... Its all gravy
    Who are your top 5 favorite artists?
    Good to hear you've come over to the dark side Coyote0024 :P. I must admit Liquid DnB is the best :P. Love London elektricity, and had the pleasure of hearing him live @ Hospitality at brixton acadamy . Going again in April, need new trainers, burnt holes in my last pair .

Top 5 for me (even if you aren't asking :X)
    Omni Trio, Old skool stuff, but oh so good. Check out the awesomeness of this: YouTube - OMNI TRIO - RENAGADE SNARES I also recommend the High Contrast Remix, it's just a modern updated version , the snares aren't as nice though :X.

High Contrast, was oh so tempted to put him at number one. This guy isn't a dnb producer, he's a musical genius! He is arguably single handly responsible for making dnb popular again. He's someone who could succeed in any musical field, and the amount of people he's turned onto drum and bass is silly. I'm going to this hospitality night in april, with my sister, who hated dnb till she heard him (and pendulum :P) Check out: YouTube - High Contrast: Everything's Different and all of his remixes, hell he successfully remixed white stripes into dnb....

Goldie, need I say more? He's a legend in the scene, been around for years, and is great . Check out: YouTube - Goldie - Innercity Life the full version of this track is 21 mins long, and is an epic!

DJ Zinc, one of the first dnb producers I locked on to, again another legend who's been around for years, and forever evolving, he's now making massive waves on the dubstep scene . Check out: YouTube - DJ Zinc - 138 Trek and the whole beats by design EP, full of fat round basslines .

Pendulum, I don't think there has been anyone as instrumental in turning dnb from a over looked side genre to the massive main stream success that it's now enjoying. They started in breaks, then jumped to dnb, moving to the UK for the better scene. Their rocky side can be a love or hate thing, but they make dnb accessible, fun, and they produce top notch tracks . Personally I loved the "Hold your colours" album, it was a landmark for the UK dnb scene :X. Check out the title track from that album: YouTube - pendulum - hold your colour I didn't like this track at first, I thought there were better songs on the album, but it just grew and grew and grew on me, which is the true mark of a good song .

So yea, there's my top 5, I've missed out loads I love though, Chase and Status, DJ hype, Blame, Shy FX, Subfocus, etc etc etc. And I hope the scene keeps up it's momentum, I'd hate to see what happened with trance happen to DnB.... Would break my heart . But it's been around for 40 years, should keep going .

The only one? *laughs*

I been actively involved in the jungle/dnb scene for over 14 years now. I run dnb_furs on top of that. When it comes to dnb around these parts myself and Loopy pretty much have it covered. Now throw in some dubstep on top of that exposure and education. Yeah, we know our shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Good to hear you've come over to the dark side Coyote0024 :P. I must admit Liquid DnB is the best :P. Love London elektricity, and had the pleasure of hearing him live @ Hospitality at brixton acadamy . Going again in April, need new trainers, burnt holes in my last pair .

Top 5 for me (even if you aren't asking :X)
    I took my time but im on board now I found myself reading your post and agreeing all over the place, youve listed some damn good music there. I suppose id better post my top five, as it was kinda my idea...
    My number 1 has to be High Contrast. Totally agree with Loopy on this one, the guy is amazing. His albums are solid all the way through and his remixs are bad ass. Its my favorite music to drive to, cycle to, daydream too, pretty much anything really. The album "High Contrast" is also on my top 5 desert island albums. Fave track is off this album is Love sick. Just brilliant. YouTube - High Contrast - Love Sick
    London Electricity is comming a close second. This is what got me into DnB in the first place. Billion Dollar gravy is a sick album, as is the more receant syncopated city. The live show looks out of this world judging my the vids on youtube. Fave track is Fast Soul music. Liquid at its best! YouTube - London Elektricity - Fast Soul Music
    Next up is Pendulam. Seen them live twice, brilliant show. 3 Solid albums now too, Im agreeing with Loopy and saying that Hold your Colour was their best album so far. Favorite track for me - Still Grey. I can fall asleep to this track everytime. Its also my favorite track ever to play Audiosurf too. For those of you who dont know what audiosurf is, its a game where you can play your own music - pretty cool and works great for DnB. The youtube vid is of someone doing a perfect run to this tune... I envy them! YouTube - Audiosurf - Pendulum - Still Grey ninja perfect run
    LTJ Bukem makes it at number 4 for me. Old skool, simple beats, atmospheric sound, hes got it all going on. Great stuff to play if you fancy a chill out, also amazing to drive to - but then isnt all DnB! Favorite track has to be Horizons. Its inspirational. YouTube - LTJ Bukem - Horizons
    Finishing it all off has to be Calibre. This guy has been on the scene for years, always produces banging tunes and his remix's are ledgendary. There are so many great tracks to choose from with Calibre that its always tough but ive decided to give you my favorite remix of his. Its a track called refusal, originally by Zero T ft Steo. The Calibre remix is just heavenly...YouTube - Zero T - Refusal (Calibre Remix)
    Hope you guys enjoy some of my favorite tracks.
    Loopy - Might see you at that Hospitality, I havent been to one for a couple of years now....Its calling to me!!

I don't want to how my age here lol, but i began back in the mid 90s with nights featuring nicky blackmarket, roni size, fabio & grooverider. its comforting to know theres still some old school folks out there

theres not enough filthy beats these days.