Thread: If you arereligious, then...

Default If you arereligious, then...

then I urge you to form a group around the faith-based community you are in.

Be you Catholic, Mormon, Sunni, Shi-a, Spaghetti-monstery, whatever.

Inside such a group is probably the least drama-evoking place to debate or discuss church doctrine, your theology, or to write heresies.

If I can refer to the usual plethora of Christian churches, it strikes me a lot of people - padded, gay, furry... typical adiscers in brief... wrestle with their beliefs and the counsel of their church over sexual sins, and other things supposedly laid out in the Bible, moral truths, moral absolutes.

Faith can be a light in the fog, a source of strength and inspiration, and the only thing holding back suicide. If you are in this camp the last thing I want to see is your faith damaged by well-intentioned people who would destroy it.

On the other hand the way you are led to understand a church's teachings may be at odds with how and what you believe; the holy books actually say little on masturbation and gaity: definitely not enough for this day and age.

One thing about adisc, or any support site is it relies on the usefulness of people coming to talk with their own kind; so I figure Mormons, Buddhists, Catholics, any, may find it useful to talk to others who can understand their issues first hand, who see things from a similar perspective.

So go forth and multiply the number of the groups - and there may you find friends, who understand that bit better and deeper.

What a wonderful idea, I'm in no way religious but I know it helps some people and being able to discuss it in a place where your not going to get flamed for it by us atheists is a fantastic idea. (see the creationism debate or the leave religion alone thread)

Personally I agree with Marcus Brigstoke war and religion are like Ant and Dec you could have one without the other but I don't think anyone would see the point. YouTube - 3 Abraham Religion's - Marcus Brigstocke
    And I do like the Christian take on gays is amazing though: "A man who lies with another man should be stoned." Well in my humble opinion it definitely helps. (Frankie Boyle)

AmbezeSubHealth

The Moses religions of Judaism, Islam, and Christianity are about self denial. What makes you happy is an abomination to God. What makes you miserable is holy. Fetishes in these churches are a clashes of a large proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbezeSubHealth View Post
    The Moses religions of Judaism, Islam, and Christianity are about self denial. What makes you happy is an abomination to God. What makes you miserable is holy. Fetishes in these churches are a clashes of a large proportion.
    That may be the general case (although I know of some very liberal churches within the Abrahamic faiths) but we shouldn't judge people for wanting/needing to seek guidance or acceptance from a higher power, it is their choice if they can live with it accept it. Personally I find faith fascinating, I don't have or understand it and in some ways I wish I did; people find comfort in faith and a forum to meet new types of people with a predetermined commonality in churches.

While the rules the people who practice these faiths actually has a reasonable amount of common sense historically, Pork for example if not cooked properly can kill you, eating meat and milk together is a waste of food when food is limited eat one wait a while eat the other turns one meal into two, homosexuality is not good in an environment when not all children survive why reduce the number of children possible. Now in the modern western world we have learnt from these things and improved beyond the need for these rules there's no denying that 2000 years ago, even if they didn't understand fully why, these rules made sense.

Any how, if having these group improves the site for even one person, we should be all for it not shouting they're wrong in their beliefs and they're hurting themselves by it.

I agree with OP. I'm, until I find a reason to change, totally atheist. I often have to bite my tongue when religion comes up. For religious discussions please stick to a religious community. Everyone has their own beliefs and no one should place them in another person face unless that person is open to it. It would drastically reduce any drama that would otherwise arise.

AmbezeSubHealth

Quote Originally Posted by MCsquared View Post
    snip

Any how, if having these group improves the site for even one person, we should be all for it not shouting they're wrong in their beliefs and they're hurting themselves by it.
    I'm all for improvement. I was expressing doubt in the possibility not a desire to see lives unimproved.