Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Programming

Default Computer Programming

I was just curious as to how many people on here know something about computer programming, or a programming language. I know Qbasic, C++, C#, and a little java.

I Know Basic, Pascal, a little C++, and basic Python

edit: oh yeah and xhtml!

I used to know basic stuff like HTML, flash, C++, and a little java but I haven't done any programming for a long time (since taking programming and web design classes in 8th and 9th grade).

I am teaching myself C++ now. I also know a little Html too. It's hard to teach myself C++

I know a smattering of several things: C/C++, Java, javascript, perl, PHP, assembly, PL/SQL etc. I've dabbled with Flash/Actionscript and Cold Fusion.

Mostly what I do, at least ATM, is J2EE oriented. I work on an API layer for a product (and a web based client). It's been one of those learn as you go sort of things. Prior to my current job, I was most familiar with C.

Learning programming languages by yourself can be difficult, lucky for me my school offers computer programming classes. Maybe we could combine our knowledge and teach one another what me know.

Quote Originally Posted by tech50 View Post
    Learning programming languages by yourself can be difficult, lucky for me my school offers computer programming classes. Maybe we could combine our knowledge and teach one another what me know.
    Yeah that would be awesome. I have 2 books and an online tutorial that I use. i don't have much practice though.

I took classes in high school to learn Visual Basic and HTML v4, but if I had to try to do them now I'd probably have a whole bunch of errors.

I know mostly Java. I also know some C/C++ from a summer job and will be learning more about it this next semester. Oh, and I also had to learn a bit of Fortran for the previously-mentioned summer job.

(Languages in bold are those that I learned as part of structured coursework or other "instructor-led" sessions.)

PHP, C, C++, Pascal, *HTML, SQL (as I've seen this listed; I'd not consider this or HTML a "programming language," but meh), VB6, VB .NET, a bit of C#, Java (Swing & AWT as well as console/CLI), a bit of Javascript, BASIC, Logo (what the hell; I'll throw that in here too, I suppose), a small bit of Assembly (Motorola 80086), a small bit of VeriLog, a small bit of Matlab (yay!), OpenCV stuff, a tiny bit of PIC work, and a tiny bit of LISP/Scheme ...

But I do not "do" this for my work; doing Software Engineering in anything other than a one-man- or small-shop is horrendously awful. I am looking to learn RoR (Ruby on Rails) and "do AJAX stuff" in the future, as I want to combine the DOM of PHP (server-side processing, client-side presentation) with not wanting to see a page flash when refreshing, fetching data, etc.