Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Use of Chushies/ Impressions

Pulluplover

Default First Use of Chushies/ Impressions

Well I am into my second day with the AB Universe Cushies, and I felt it important to post my own review.

A little history: I have been wearing Pull Ups for some time, and have only tried Bambinos as a true diaper(that fits me). Bambinos were way to bulky and not babyish/ youthful enough. Not to mention skimpy tapes. Never could seem to get them tight enough.
    Diapers like Depends dont do it for me because they are not childish. Although I actually tried one when I was young.

The Cushies have an attractive design, although the colorful print part is inconsistent, and does not always cover the entire front. I ordered the Medium, or smaller of the two sizes for a 38" waste and they fit perfect, with out unnecessary bulk. I question weather those 34" or less might need a smaller version. I have been wearing to work, and they do create a bulge, but I believe it is manageable.
    As to wetting, a huge area of dispute on these forums always, they hold a ton, not an "Olympic Swimming Pool" as someone mentioned, but a huge flood, good flood, two wettings and I had not finished one off. So I dumped two 24oz glasses of warm water in! It never leaked, although after the 2 glasses of water were added some did leak out sitting, up the back.(was ok at 1.5 glasses) If this is not enough capacity for you, you need to quit drinking!
    The tapes are wide, but not noticeably overly large and hold well. Like any diaper, diapering yourself and getting the diaper tight takes practice. but these tapes WILL hold once in place.

I may go back to pull ups during the day, as the bulk sitting all day and noticeable bulge is not for every place at work, but for lounging at home or sleeping these will be my choice. Quality is fine and service was good, despite some glitches.

I guess people have different ideas of what capacity entails.

To me, the last time I tried ABU diapers, they felt soggy after they were wet. The bambinos felt drier after being wet, and bambinos had less issues with the filling coming apart after wet.

Perhaps I had a bad batch, but I was under the impression that was just a consequence of ABU using a. less filling and b. less SAP.

Pulluplover

They may feel wetter when wet, true. But the bambino was like carrying a couch between your legs.

I don't know about couch, but I'd definitely not feel all that comfortable wearing them out and about considering no one in my family knows about this particular hobby.

That's also subjective though. I've made similar comments as you about bambinos' thickness and have been told that they're not really that thick. I was told if I wore 24/7 for incontinence, I wouldn't feel they were that thick at all. So... who knows.

I prefer the bambinos' thickness though due to whole growing up in the 80s thing. Thin diapers weren't really around then, and if they were, they were considered cheap.

In the end though, it's the wet thing that kills me with the ABUs (which is why I'd not wear them at night). I don't like to feel actually wet when I wear. (I doubt it's good for your skin as well.)

From what I've been able to gather after reading a couple of the forums in relation to the Cushies, ABU seems to have some quality control issues and customer support issues. That's just an observation that I've made.

I've seen far more negative reviews than positive about Cushies so far. :| But also that customer support issues have since been fixed.

In the topic of wetness with the ABU's...In my opinion, since they are modeled as a baby diaper in not just looks; they handle wetness like a baby diaper too. Baby diapers are usually changed if they are wet; they usually don't sit in a wet diaper for a long period of time. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    In the topic of wetness with the ABU's...In my opinion, since they are modeled as a baby diaper in not just looks; they handle wetness like a baby diaper too. Baby diapers are usually changed if they are wet; they usually don't sit in a wet diaper for a long period of time. Just a thought
    There's always night usage. I wouldn't presume to know diaper changing statistics of parents though, as I'm not one.

Plus, baby diapers are big on the whole "dryness" thing... I mean how many commercials demonstrate how you cannot feel wetness when you feel the diaper after it's wet. Hell, they dump a ridiculous amount of water on them and then do the demonstration.

So I'd say any serious argument that their absorbency characteristics are for realism is over rationalization. I'd say it's a cost/profit thing. I don't mean that in a "screw capitalism!" kind of way either. Just that it's the most likely reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat View Post
    There's always night usage. I wouldn't presume to know diaper changing statistics of parents though, as I'm not one.

Plus, baby diapers are big on the whole "dryness" thing... I mean how many commercials demonstrate how you cannot feel wetness when you feel the diaper after it's wet. Hell, they dump a ridiculous amount of water on them and then do the demonstration.

So I'd say any serious argument that their absorbency characteristics are for realism is over rationalization. I'd say it's a cost/profit thing. I don't mean that in a "screw capitalism!" kind of way either. Just that it's the most likely reason.
    That's a very valid point Luna, I hadn't thought of night time usage either. Though they do say on their site that it is the "ultimate playtime diaper", but regardless it shouldn't be limited to just "playtime", so I'd have to agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    That's a very valid point Luna, I hadn't thought of night time usage either. Though they do say on their site that it is the "ultimate playtime diaper", but regardless it shouldn't be limited to just "playtime", so I'd have to agree with you
    I've heard people refer to them as "costume diapers".

I don't wear all the time, so someone with more experience could give a more weighted opinion. In my experience, they're nowhere near the worst diaper I've tried by any means, but they're certainly not one of the best either. As far as use goes. On a superficial level, they look adorable though IMO. The SDKs do as well. (I just got my BOGO cases from my front drive where the Fed Ex guy rudely left them.)