Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else here enjoy sailing?

Wink Does anyone else here enjoy sailing?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and was just curious if anyone here enjoyed sailing.

I live far enough north so that it gets cold in the winter so I generally only go during the summertime and I'm already anticipating April winds and warm weather to rig my boat and get out on the water. Anyone?

Yes! I'm actually a qualified dinghie sailing instructor! What sort of boats do you take out?

Yes runs in the family, dad's a DI, mum and my sister are on there way to AI and I'm on my way to seamanship.

I love "single handers", Pico, Topaz, Topper, and Lazer One, ok so the pico and topaz are designed to have a crew but with my size there wouldn't be room, and I sit in a puddle in the topper. I have sailed bigger boats, GP-14, wayfarer, Lazer 2000 and RS400, but I don't find them as fun somehow, I can't take them as close to the edge as I'd like or at least I can't and have them survive. 6 breaks and counting.

I've been a few times and enjoyed it, but never actually had to "do" anything (just along for the ride.) I did give my wife, as a birthday present, a trip aboard the Statsraad Lehmkuhl for four days as a crew member Lehmkuhl Home. She enjoyed the adventure, especially climbing the rigging, but was a bit disappointed that she couldn't follow some of the instructions because there wasn't enough English translation provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Yes! I'm actually a qualified dinghie sailing instructor! What sort of boats do you take out?
    I hope you put that on your business cards. Seriously. I would.

I enjoy windsurfing in the summer and autumn... does that count? I've never sailed a boat before. I wanted to when I was younger, but I never tried it.

It's never to late to start, at my sailing club we've had people in their 80's have a go at sailing for their first time and love it.

I've sailed a couple of times with my uncle and had a lot of fun. I didn't have to do much except steer but it was awesome!

Ahoy, these all sound so great! I'm glad I got more feedback on this post than I thought I would. I actually sail a 16 foot Hobie Cat!! Its such an enjoyable past time. I'm glad that there are so many people here that have experience with boats. And yes Kabom, windsurfing definitely counts! I always thought that would be difficult to do and take a lot of coordination.

I have never gone sailing before, but my dad bought a little Sunfish this fall, so I will be learning in the summer. I'm really excited, as I really love boating and the water (the only water sport that I don't really like is fishing...)

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

I have never gone sailing before, but my dad bought a little Sunfish this fall, so I will be learning in the summer. I'm really excited, as I really love boating and the water (the only water sport that I don't really like is fishing...)