Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laserdisc

Default Laserdisc

Yeah, I used to own a Laserdisc player when I was in high school.

It annoyed the hell out of my sister, because the only things I watched on it was anime for the most part. Not just ANY anime, but RAW anime on Laserdiscs imported from Japan. The depth of my otakudom was pretty deep in those years.

Does anybody else remember this long-dead format?

I remember the crown jewel of my Laserdisc collection is the box set with Evengelion: Death / Rebirth and The End of Evangelion, which came with a massive book of complete storyboards, a model kit, and a plushy Angel, amongst other things. That set me back over $300 at the time.

I also purchased the Laserdisc box sets of Utena thinking, at the time, that there was no way that show would ever get licensed for American release. Time has proved me horribly wrong on that respect.

I have a box of LDs in my closet, but no working player. Eventually, I would like to seek one out, but that is not a high priority at the moment.

So, does anybody else remember these massive things that had better picture than VHS, but had to be flipped over halfway through the show most of the time? Heh.

I kinda remember it but i never owned it, it was my rich friend that had one and there was one in school that disk was huge! I think we watched Waterworld on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    I kinda remember it but i never owned it, it was my rich friend that had one and there was one in school that disk was huge! I think we watched Waterworld on it.
    Yeah, it never really took off in most countries, but it was a huge hit in Japan. Hence, all of the anime that was readily available in that format.

Then DVD came around, and the LD format died within a year after that was born.

I will admit, it was a lot of fun while it lasted. I do have a lot of anime on LD that was never released on DVD, so that's something, at least.

I saw one of these strange discs in French class a few years ago. The apparent giant DVD was very confusing and it almost blew my whole perception of reality into question. Fortunately; there was wikipedia to explain to me that it was not a ginormous digital video disk at all, but a strange analog video format from the glorious 80's. This brings up the question "Just how old are these textbooks that apparently came bundled with this ancient thing, anyways?"

Yeah, I got into Laserdisc in the early '90s. I picked up a player when I was 15, with money that I got from my first summer job. And that served its purpose as further cementing my anime otaku status. Back then, most people in the anime circles had a LD player. Keep in mind this was long before the days when Sailor Moon, Pokemon or Dragonball making it popular in the US>

I have got to be too young for this, haha.

A Laserdisc sounds like an ancient piece of technology by today's standards.

pamperchu

I'm a huge fan and collector of LaserDisc.
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/pamperchu/DSC05637.jpg

I have many players and hundreds of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    I'm a huge fan and collector of LaserDisc.
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/pamperchu/DSC05637.jpg

I have many players and hundreds of movies.
    Nice pic. : D ..Never had one myself though. =(

I love your bunny suit Pamperchu! Yes, I remember them. It used to be you could rent a player and thus movies from Blockbuster like stores. We used to rent the player and movies for our kid's birthdays. Then the video player came on the scene and that ended that. They also made video games that used those big players. They were gong to be the game players to end all games. There was one I remember where you fought a dragon. You found these in game rooms. I died immediately. I don't think they played very well.

Interesting step of technology, but obviously didn't stand a chance in the wide market after the 'electronic magic' of DVD's was invented.