Thread: Bonjour! Qu'est-ce que ça veux dire?

Default Bonjour! Qu'est-ce que ça veux dire?

Pourquoi est-ce qu'on dit "Bonjour!" quand on n'est pas français? :P

Following Coritou's prompting I'll post this little intro.

Hello. I'm a mellow fellow attending a great Film & Animation program at university. I'm set to graduate this May, and hopefully by then I'll have found a job. Sound design's my primary pursuit, although film scoring appeals to me as well (however it's fast becoming an overcrowded field). If anyone wants/needs a critique of any music or sound work, hit me up and I'll be happy to listen.

As far as hobbies I enjoy collecting and then pretending to learn as many instruments as possible ;-) I also reallllllllly like sailing. I like to smoke a good pipe twice or thrice a year to feel old and wise, like Gandalf or something.

Oh, and screw Sideways: Merlot's awesome.

I've bumped into this site for a few years now, but I don't know why I decided to sign up, and I doubt I'll remain active. I'm not looking for anything specific, and I'm not having any problems with the whole AB/DL thing. If anything, the clean, calm feel attracts me. Also, there isn't an air of sexual desperation here; if you've ever been to Diaper Space you'll know what I mean.

I guess that's... it?

Here's some greetings pizza:

~Cheers

That would be me, cowering for my life during a paintball round. It's tough to see with the camo, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Prose View Post
    Pourquoi est-ce qu'on dit "Bonjour!" quand on n'est pas français? :P
    It should be either Français or francophones ^^.

Anyway, welcomed to ADISC Prose. Really good job on your intro. This website indeed really isn't a place to find partners, if anything else its a place to relax and ask for help when necessary (its always nice when we get new members that understand that right away ^^), and maybe make a couple of friends along the way.
    I actually love Merlot. And by that I do mean I love the grape (I'm not really into alcohol, to the despair of my mother's side of the family :P). I've never seen Sideways, tough. Maybe it would change my mind on the matter.

Anyway, thanks for the pizza and the nice intro,

~~Near

That would be me, cowering for my life during a paintball round. It's tough to see with the camo, huh?
    Hi there, Prose. I thought I could just barely see someone, but then I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I always wanted to get into animation, but it didn't fit me quite right in the end. I like to watch more than I like to make it! Sound design sounds interesting. Is that just the sound effects or is it getting the right music for the right time? Or something totally different?

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    It should be either Français or francophones ^^.

Anyway, welcomed to ADISC Prose. Really good job on your intro. This website indeed really isn't a place to find partners, if anything else its a place to relax and ask for help when necessary (its always nice when we get new members that understand that right away ^^), and maybe make a couple of friends along the way.
    I actually love Merlot. And by that I do mean I love the grape (I'm not really into alcohol, to the despair of my mother's side of the family :P). I've never seen Sideways, tough. Maybe it would change my mind on the matter.

Anyway, thanks for the pizza and the nice intro,

~~Near
    I'm glad you liked the pizza. :P Are you saying that "français" ought to be capitalized?

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Hi there, Prose. I thought I could just barely see someone, but then I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I always wanted to get into animation, but it didn't fit me quite right in the end. I like to watch more than I like to make it! Sound design sounds interesting. Is that just the sound effects or is it getting the right music for the right time? Or something totally different?
    There are a lot of people who come into the animation side of this program (including myself ) who then realize what you did: it's funner to watch 'em than to make 'em. It's a good thing you figured this out, because there's a few stubborn chaps who stick with it, and while it's admirable, they are absolutely miserable. And yes, sound design can include sound effects (and that's what I prefer). There's ADR, which is the process of re-recording the actor's dialogue in the studio. There's also mixing everything together: sound effects, dialogue, music, etc. Thankfully sound designers aren't pigeon-holed, so it's common to be working within each of these areas.

I was wondering whether it be paintball or airsoft, lol. I myself being a airsoft enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonfiber View Post
    I was wondering whether it be paintball or airsoft, lol. I myself being a airsoft enthusiast.
    Airsoft! I have a Tokyo Marui M-16. Not the best but it lets me join an occasional airsoft game. I love how folks in the airsoft scene really get into the military culture.

Airsoft! I have a Tokyo Marui M-16. Not the best but it lets me join an occasional airsoft game. I love how folks in the airsoft scene really get into the military culture.
    Aha, yeah Tokyo Maruis aren't known to have very high FPS. However, they last for at least 15 years if you maintain it good and not upgrade it.

Yeah, unfortunately there are some that spoil the MILSIM aspect of it, which is quite bothersome at time. I've played paintball with some friends a couple of times, however I don't own any paintball gear, lol.

There are a lot of people who come into the animation side of this program (including myself ) who then realize what you did: it's funner to watch 'em than to make 'em. It's a good thing you figured this out, because there's a few stubborn chaps who stick with it, and while it's admirable, they are absolutely miserable.
    Animating is a ton of work. I kind of knew it going in, but then I realized it just didn't fit well for me. I still love it and I still love learning about it, I just don't like trying to put it into practice. Once you start doing the math it's staggering! So I'm majoring in Graphic Design instead. That's a crazy amount of work too, but somehow it just fit me better.

Honestly though, the sound has just as much to do with animation/films as filming/animating. Even though not a whole lot of people 'notice' it. Just wait until the sound is off! People notice it more when there's something wrong, just like when there's one misspelled word in a poster design.