Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethical Dilemma?

Default Ethical Dilemma?

Okay, so here's the deal...this guy I know sent me money part of it was to purchase a 'nick' in "paltalk" so he could enter the chatrooms (apparently paltalk doesn't like muslims). Anyway, I bought him the nick...that left $210. Now, my presumption was that this was money with which I was supposed to register his company here in Canada.

However, during a private (non-business) chat, I mentioned A/C 'n then said "oh, I forgot, you don't have a/c"....he got freaky 'n said I was thinking of someone else (I wasn't, I just forgot he didn't have a/c). To make a long story short he made accusations, I suggested he didn't trust me and that I should send the money back to him. He said "I don't give a f*** about the money, do whatever you want, I don't give a damn!"

So, there's my dilemma...do I send the money back? Or do I keep it?

You did purchase something for him, so he paid for that much, just send him the money you didn't spend.

I say keep it for now, he did send it to you.

Do you think you guys will make up anytime soon? If you do or don't... do you really think the money will make a difference?

I'd return the money with a short, non-confrontational note explaining the nature of the misunderstanding and regret that things went the way they did because of it.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I'd return the money with a short, non-confrontational note explaining the nature of the misunderstanding and regret that things went the way they did because of it.
    I agree with that. Very well said, Trevor.

Personally, I would keep it...But ethically, do what Trevor said

I would be all greedy, spend the money and block the guy if he mentioned it. :B

Dude84

I would email him explaining in a manner which doesn't partition blame on either party that you do not understand his current perspective, and how he came to him, and ask him for an explanation.

After that, unless he explicitly requests the money be returned, I would keep it. Perhaps donate it to a charity or something similar.

Well, he contacted me, after a week, and tried to act like nothing had happened!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I still have his money, and when he asked if I would use it for the business purposes intended, I agreed. So, I'm off this morning to the Registry of Joint Stock Companies for a name search and in 2 days time to register the company name in Canada.

*wonders why she's such a sap*

Darkfinn

Umm... lemme get this straight. You are helping someone from a foreign (middle-eastern I'm assuming) land, whom you know only over the internet, register a company in Canada? Doesn't that seem a bit suspicious? It only throws up about a million flags in my head.