Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally have 90% of my favorite childhood toy!

Default Finally have 90% of my favorite childhood toy!

Eventually I want to do a 90s/playroom in my future home. Along with all my period toys I want some period technology. I was part raised by computers lol. I have almost finished recreating my fav toy, my computer.
    When I was 2 my father purchased a computer for my mom (1994). I used to play lemmings on it until I was like 3 and a half. Then my father installed windows 95 on it and gave it to me I was like almost 4. Unfortunately that computer got thrown away in 1999. I have missed it ever since. I recently tried to recreate my most cherished childhood toy. I bought a Dell Optiplex PIII and installed windows 98 on it along with all my childhood games. But wait it gets better!!! I also downloaded many episodes of my favorite childhood shows. I have every single Land Before Time movie along with many Rugrats episodes. Oh yeah I also have a collection of Loony Toons as well. My setup is pretty sweet. If any of you guys were raised with computers I would recomend setting up a retro machine. It really brought back some nice memories. I dumped a 120 GB hard disk in mine and less than 10 gigs is occupied. The big disk alows for lots of shows. I will practically have all of Nickelodeon circa 1992-2000 stuffed into my computer. I still need a matching biege keyboard and biege CRT monitor though.

How have you solved the 32GB limit on 98, I've got a retro machine and it can't any drives bigger than 32 GB even if the drive is partitioned, it really annoys me and it's so flaky with the old drives in it. I've resorted to a bunch of flash drives to increase storage but the RAM doesn't like that the flash access speeds are faster than it. nt to mention the ridiculously slow speed, I might have to turn my old xp machine into a 98 virtual machine to solve those problems.

I had windows 95 and 98 when I was younger, but I sucked at using the computer. Does Windows 98 not support NTFS formatted drives? *Google* Answer: no it doesn't.
    I guess ForeverSmall installed some sort of driver or something... I'm sure something exists for that purpose.

I've been running 32 bit XP on my gaming rig for two and heif years... Why do I do it? I honestly don't know. I only get 3.2 of my 4 available gigabytes of RAM. And I only get Direct X 9.0 support...

well he could have partitioned the drive into 4 chunks...

and Me:p you need to drop $300 on a copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, aside from the hard to swallow price tag you wont regret it

ntfs was a 200 and NT thing, 98 still used FAT32.

I see no need to get a separate computer; I just run an emulation of Windows 98 on my current one.

I tried to emulate Windows 3.1 as well, but that didn't go as successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    I see no need to get a separate computer; I just run an emulation of Windows 98 on my current one.
    The whole point is to have one in my 90s/nursery room of my house.

Update: I just got a huge CRT and a biege keyboard. And one of my nieghbors threw out a 1 GHz celeron pc. The pc is really wierd I think it was meant to run IBM OS/2 not windows. Wicked neat looking case though.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    The whole point is to have one in my 90s/nursery room of my house.

Update: I just got a huge CRT and a biege keyboard. And one of my nieghbors threw out a 1 GHz celeron pc. The pc is really wierd I think it was meant to run IBM OS/2 not windows. Wicked neat looking case though.
    Pm me with pics? Lol