Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Sense and God

Default Common Sense and God

Whether or not you believe in the Christian God or Allah whether or not you are Agnostic or an Atheist you have to agree that someone or something created the universe. Creationism or Big Bang Theory at some point a being created the universe. Whether or not that being still exists? I don't know.

Of course something did. Nothing can just be there from the start. It makes no sense!

The Big Bang theory is what I go by, even though it says 'nothing created nothing from nothing.' But it's the most plausible, and logical thing we have to go on right now. That is why it is called a theory.

Something just being there from the start, with nothing there to ever create it, makes little to no sense.

My house has always been here. It has been here for literally over a hundred years. It's old as sin. But someone made it, using trees for wood, and clay for bricks.

Something used something to make something.

Both theories, Creationism and the Big Bang Theory both say that something was created out of nothing.

Big Bang Theory = Particles, that have always been, did some crazy stuffs and BAM! Universe.
    Creationism = Some deity, some larger power, who has always been, did some crazy stuffs and BAM! Universe.

What created the Universe? We will never know. All we can go on is beliefs, theories, or anything else that tickles your fancy. Whatever keeps you running.

No, I don't agree that "a being" necessarily created the universe. I don't see why it's impossible that the universe just began spontaneously - we know that particles pop into existence all the time, just they do so with an antiparticle in the same place and annihilate each other pretty quickly.

That being said, I can accept it is PROBABLE that we live in an artificial universe. Why? Well, ignoring for a moment the infinite number of universes postulated my multiverse theory (the same idea applies to them anyway), we know life is possible because we exist. Some life will become advanced - some to our stage, some beyond. Some will create computers. Some will use those computers to model a universe...

So, within the one "parent" universe, we have one or more "child" universes they created. Now, if we accept that a model of the universe will be mostly the same as the universe, then within those "child" universes there will be life, who create computers, who try to model the universe, etc etc, and so we have an infinite regression of universes. So really, we have an almost 0 chance of being in a "natural" universe, and are therefore most likely to be living inside a computer program. We'd better fucking hope it doesn't run Windows ME.

If our universe was created by a being, who created that being? And so on and so forth.

No, far more common sense that with the forces we see in place in the universe now, that it just came from nothing.

Butterfly Mage

Of course, the middle ground could be "some universal deity used particle physics to make the Big Bang happen". For me, the fact that the four fundamental forces of the universe point to a higher being having at designed the universe. I don't think that being necessarily meddles in the affairs of humankind to any noticeable degree because a being capable of creating the universe would be as far above us as we are above an amoeba.

A question I like is "How will the universe end, if it does?" There are almost as many theories about that, such as the big crunch and such.

My favorite was always the vacuum metastability event. Very unlikely to be able to actually happen, but funny if it did. Everything suddenly goes poof!

The big bang is consistent with the way our universe is structured and moves. Maybe it happened because some Greek deity sneezed, maybe it happened because a former universe collapsed on itself or maybe it just happened. At this point we're exiting physics and entering metaphysics (philosophy). But, physically speaking, there is little doubt that our universe started with a bang. Denying that on the basis that there must be a creator (especially since the creator could have been the one to trigger the big bang in the first place) is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    Of course something did. Nothing can just be there from the start. It makes no sense!

The Big Bang theory is what I go by, even though it says 'nothing created nothing from nothing.' But it's the most plausible, and logical thing we have to go on right now. That is why it is called a theory.

Something just being there from the start, with nothing there to ever create it, makes little to no sense.

My house has always been here. It has been here for literally over a hundred years. It's old as sin. But someone made it, using trees for wood, and clay for bricks.

Something used something to make something.

Both theories, Creationism and the Big Bang Theory both say that something was created out of nothing.

Big Bang Theory = Particles, that have always been, did some crazy stuffs and BAM! Universe.
    Creationism = Some deity, some larger power, who has always been, did some crazy stuffs and BAM! Universe.

What created the Universe? We will never know. All we can go on is beliefs, theories, or anything else that tickles your fancy. Whatever keeps you running.
    The big bang theory doesn't attempt to explain how matter was created, and it doesn't say that there was nothing before. What it says is that at some time (about 13.7 billions year ago) the universe was extremely hot and extremely dense. Ever since that time, the universe has expanded and cooled.

Creationism is not a theory. A theory needs to be thoroughly tested and be widely agreed upon by the scientific community. There is physical evidence that the universe is constantly expanding and cooling (which implies that the universe started, essentially, as an explosion).
    The big bang theory is a theory because its the model that is the most supports by empirical evidence. Creationism is an idea because there is no experimental support for it.

If there must be a creator who created the creator? And if the creator doesn't need to be created, why would our universe need to be?

On the bright side, trying to understand about the big bang might help us understand more about how things came to be. That's what the LHC is supposed to do. :3

A month ago scientists managed to create quark-gluon plasma, one of the things theorized to have been around near the big bang. It's "2 Early Universe" here, if you want more information.

While nobody's sure what we'll learn from it, surely it's more helpful to study things happening less than a second after the big bang instead of billions of years after it (now). The idea is that the closer you get to the beginning, the more you can guess what the beginning might have been.

I like the scientific approach because in cases like this, scientists are happy to say "We have no idea, but we're willing to make the best guesses we can and try to find out!" I guess that's how I feel too. Why try to come up with an answer out of thin air? Enjoy not knowing something, enjoy finding out!

As for creationism, I always thought Putting Faith In Its Place was a good discussion on that. Basically "There's nothing wrong with it, and believe in it if it makes you happy! Just don't think other people have to agree." Yay for messages of peaceful coexistence

Butterfly Mage

Evolution = theory
    Creationism = philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    The big bang theory doesn't attempt to explain how matter was created, and it doesn't say that there was nothing before. What it says is that at some time (about 13.7 billions year ago) the universe was extremely hot and extremely dense. Ever since that time, the universe has expanded and cooled.
    I consider that the problem though. I'll accept the big bang theory even though I'm a christian, but I really want to know where all this mass came from, since from a scientific view it can't possibly come from nothing.

So I just pick and mix. :P So I belive in the christian/cathoic/judo, etc god and perhaps he setted off the big bang. I'll believe this until god either disproves science, or science disproves god. In the latter case we might see a spike in suicides knowing that life literary means NOTHING in the long run......

other then 42.