Thread: Bah Humbug? Nah not really ...

Default Bah Humbug? Nah not really ...

I sorta shared this before but never in detail like I'm about to do now. I figured now is the perfect time to do it when the vivid images are running wild in my head. Lost? This is what happened to me on Christmas Eve when I was all of sixteen years old.

Sooooo back tracking about 13-14 years to the night of Christmas Eve. My father at the time was on a mission to find my older brothers drug stash. He not only achieved that mission but he also managed to flush about three hundred dollars of cocaine down the toilet. When my brother got home later it didn't take him long to discover that his beloved treasure decided to take some swimming lessons in his absence. As a result he ran to my room, grabbed a golf club, ( I use to play, yeah imagine that ) and corned our father in the bathroom. At that point he proceeded to beat him over and over with the club causing it to snap into two metal spikes. What does one do? Stabby Stabby! Keep in mind I was watching the entire thing going down from the doorway as I was pretty frozen in shock taking it all in. Blood was flying everywhere and it eventually got to the point where he sliced his ear off which I distinctly remember falling down to the tile floor.

That was about the point I regained myself and called the cops to come out. My brother took this as a good time to get the hell out but not before grabbing anything of value. You name it was pretty much taken ...father's wallet, car keys, all the Xmas presents because hey lets face it you can pawn anything for money. When the cops finally did arrive ( I grew up in a rednecks stick area ) I spent my Xmas eve playing twenty one questions with them and a few rounds of basketball even. They took my dad to the hospital to be stitched up while I stayed at home cleaning up all the blood on Xmas morning. I was suppose to go snowboarding with my cousins for my first time the following weekend but that was of course canceled. It's no wonder I love snowboarding so much now that I'm a adult and responsible for my own self. Like a self reward perhaps?

So what's the point of all this exactly? I seen a lot of posts this month dealing with depression and people thinking their world is coming to an end. You know what? Shit happens. It happens to everyone though! Your case is no different from the next. The trick is to accept it and get through it. You can't let things that are not in your control and control you back. I hope to serve as living proof that when times are tough they won't last that way forever but you have to keep your head held up high. Shrug it, flick it off, battle logic, or even laugh at whatever is troubling you during these times. You'll get through it and then one day you'll look back at all those times and realize they only served to turn you into the person you are today. I should be a hateful asshole all things considered but that's not the case at all. Good luck and Merry Xmas.

Oh and for the record since I'm sure some are wondering. Yes, my brother was eventually caught for his actions. They pulled him over for driving too slow because he was drugged out with his girlfriend in tow trying to cross the border. He went to jail for three years on account of attempted murder where he later pleaded insanity and won the case. The rest after that doesn't need to be typed since it's still too hard for me to do so.

Tenderheart

God, that sounds like a couple stories from my family. Or close enough anyway. Glad you didn't let it turn you bitter, life is to short to hate. Hopefully that'll be the worst Christmas you have.

Nice to see that you didn't let this destroy your life. I get sick of seeing all of these people acting like their lives are horrible because god forbid, they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas, or got yelled at for once in their life. Your closing words are truly inspirable, in telling everyone to just know, that shit happens in life, and we need to just pick it up and move on. Props to you mate, keep doing what you do.

It's hard to describe my reaction to this. "Strong" is the only word that I'm sure is accurate. Words can't really describe the intense feelings conjured by this account.

I've lived a relatively "boring" life, with a reasonable middle-class upbringing, wherein there weren't any of these potentially traumatizing events. I'm well aware that my reaction to things like these is artificial, and I feel that on some level, it's extremely presumptuous to dare speak as though I have any idea what this is like.

Nonetheless, I react by imagining myself in that place, attempting to relive conjectured emotions, and call it empathy.

You've made the point that you're uniquely positioned to make - that the problems people express on ADISC are, on some level, trivial. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are outright dismissible; problems can affect people strongly and irrationally, and the affected do suffer for it. I'm wary that the "suck it up" argument is a double-edged sword in response to legitimate depression; it may be what ultimately must occur, but when given such blunt terms, it strikes me that it could harm as easily as it could help.

How, then, does one argue the need to "suck it up" without explicitly making that argument? I think this is where your post here, and some of your previous postings best shine: you present an example of the lowest low, and demonstrate that you've been able to accept it and grow beyond the experience. This is beyond powerful, as it offers something invaluable which is lacking in other methods: genuine hope.

A very merry Christmas back at you, statik. Thank-you for sharing - the effort it takes you to put these things in writing does not go unnoticed, and we benefit greatly from the results.
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 25-Dec-2010 at 15:40.

Yes. Sometimes life sucks and if instead of turning it in the right direction we let it take us down we've failed ourselves. Congratulations on your success. It's great to see not to mention inspiring when someone overcomes adversity. May the rest of your life be downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart View Post
    God, that sounds like a couple stories from my family. Or close enough anyway. Glad you didn't let it turn you bitter, life is to short to hate. Hopefully that'll be the worst Christmas you have.
    Life is too short for hate and hate is baggage in itself. There's a reason one should travel lite and it's not just to avoid those extra checked baggage fees when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Nice to see that you didn't let this destroy your life. I get sick of seeing all of these people acting like their lives are horrible because god forbid, they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas, or got yelled at for once in their life. Your closing words are truly inspirable, in telling everyone to just know, that shit happens in life, and we need to just pick it up and move on. Props to you mate, keep doing what you do.
    Hehe I'm so use to never getting anything for Xmas that when I do get something I'm beyond grateful. I've been known to piss my close friends off when it comes time for Xmas because I don't make any kind of list. If they ask what I want, I just simply tell them I'm fine with what I already have in my life. It's all materialistic and I'm more than okay with receiving nothing. Thank you for getting the aim of my post and the added props.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    It's hard to describe my reaction to this. "Strong" is the only word that I'm sure is accurate. Words can't really describe the intense feelings conjured by this account.

I've lived a relatively "boring" life, with a reasonable middle-class upbringing, wherein there weren't any of these potentially traumatizing events. I'm well aware that my reaction to things like these is artificial, and I feel that on some level, it's extremely presumptuous to dare speak as though I have any idea what this is like.

Nonetheless, I react by imagining myself in that place, attempting to relive conjectured emotions, and call it empathy.

You've made the point that you're uniquely positioned to make - that the problems people express on ADISC are, on some level, trivial. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are outright dismissible; problems can affect people strongly and irrationally, and the affected do suffer for it. I'm wary that the "suck it up" argument is a double-edged sword in response to legitimate depression; it may be what ultimately must occur, but when given such blunt terms, it strikes me that it could harm as easily as it could help.

How, then, does one argue the need to "suck it up" without explicitly making that argument? I think this is where your post here, and some of your previous postings best shine: you present an example of the lowest low, and demonstrate that you've been able to accept it and grow beyond the experience. This is beyond powerful, as it offers something invaluable which is lacking in other methods: genuine hope.

A very merry Christmas back at you, statik. Thank-you for sharing - the effort it takes you to put these things in writing does not go unnoticed, and we benefit greatly from the results.
    You're one of my favorites to reply on this forum you know. You leave me always stumbling for the correct words to comment back with because you already nailed what I could of further emphasized with. Seriously, post more. You come across so down to earth and such a humble soul that one has to question what else is ticking inside that head of yours.

Four sentences and I have nothing else to comment back on. It's a rare sighting to see a downsized reply from someone such as myself. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by tongo View Post
    Yes. Sometimes life sucks and if instead of turning it in the right direction we let it take us down we've failed ourselves. Congratulations on your success. It's great to see not to mention inspiring when someone overcomes adversity. May the rest of your life be downhill.
    And sometimes what choice do we really have? Trust me at the time all this happened, I was not strong with dealing with it. I was a emotional wreck cleaning up all that blood on the tile floor on Xmas morning which just added insult to injury. My parents at the time were separated (not divorced) so it was just me living with my father at the time. I felt very alone during those times. The presents that were taken to be pawned were the last thing on my mind too. The only time it hurt to think about the presents was when the neighborhood kids were showing off all their new goodies later in the afternoon and mocked me for having such a dysfunctional family. Times change though and so did I.

I guess what I was thinking was that at age 15 or 16 many of us are more tempted to use chemical means to deal with emotional issues. You didn't right? These days that's amazing and commendable. I'm sorry you had to deal with the neighborhood kids who mocked you too. Especially at a time when you were already emotionally stressed, they added to your distress. I'm also sorry what happened is what human beings are capable of. Pretty hefty smack down for someone only a few years out of childhood.