Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus scams.

Exclamation Virus scams.

For those of you that have out of date computers, please read this.
    There are a number of anti-virus software scams out there, such as Internet Antivirus Pro, which are actually viruses themselves. They come from websites that are deliberately or unintentionally coded to show a message such as "Warning! Your computer is infected with viruses, a free scan will reveal these as well as other malware." with two choices, either that you click on will show a graphic with several drives (local disk C, local disk D, floppy disk A, and CD drive E) and it will say that they have viruses. Check the website you are on (it is usually something with .co.cc at the end) then close out of the window. It will show something else as well as a download (CLOSE OUT OF IT) and will close out, the link will die, and your computer won't be infected.
    If you have downloaded it, and installed it, you need a free program to uninstall it (if you haven't already paid the fee(around a hundred dollars)) and your computer will be clean.
    There is a video on youtube, Here watching it as it happens.

Ah, those are so much fun. It actually went around the company I worked for last summer, and my work laptop got infected (I blame it on running the unholy trinity of Windows XP, Internet Explorer and Windows Defender). I actually did a full system restore because I figured it would take less time that actually cleaning my PC (not to mention all my important stuff was either on my laptop-turned-test-server contraption or on a network share), but I know for a fact I was not the first or the last to get that most annoying piece of malware.

I think the best part is that it re-directed all my internet searches to the same page... every damn time! Just because asking for my credit card number wasn't enough, they actually wanted to prevent me from binging (ya, the default search engine where I worked was Bing...) the solution to the problem. Anyway, after restoring the system the first thing I did (against my boss' advice :P) was install Firefox and noscript... problem solved.

If you have Trend Micro Security and the subscription runs out..

It will plant spy-ware, then do a scan to warn you of 'potential dangers.' All-in-all, Trend Micro Security is terrible anyways, so there's really no reason for it.

Just avoid it.

I killed one of those an hour ago on my brother's computer > > It was nasty - it wouldn't let him run any programs (control+alt+del, etc...) until it was disabled. All gone now ^_^

Ugh. I picked one of those up when I still used IE. :P As soon as I finished prying it out of my system I posted about it and a friend suggested Firefox. I checked it out and never went back.

And then a few years later my grandmother picked one up and I had to pry it out of -her- system. She wanted to know if she had to pay for it. I told her "Would you pay someone who locked you out of your own house? No!" And then I installed Firefox for her. She kept asking me why and I told her "Just trust me...this is better than IE."

I recently had to pull that internet antivirus pro bullcrap from the registry of a friend's computer... it was a real pain in the bum, i'll tell you what......

I hate manually deleting registry keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshinori View Post
    If you have Trend Micro Security and the subscription runs out..

It will plant spy-ware, then do a scan to warn you of 'potential dangers.' All-in-all, Trend Micro Security is terrible anyways, so there's really no reason for it.

Just avoid it.
    I actually have trend micro. Bestbuy reccomends it, though I also use webroot for spyware and virus more.

For those of you using firefox, get chrome, it is a hundred times better. I only use IE for roblox because roblox won't open under firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    I actually have trend micro. Bestbuy reccomends it, though I also use webroot for spyware and virus more.

For those of you using firefox, get chrome, it is a hundred times better. I only use IE for roblox because roblox won't open under firefox.
    Best buy recommended me kasperky and its the only one i use now.

I wholeheartedly recommend Kaspersky. From personal experience (I have used almost all of the Antivirus programs out there these days) Kaspersky is the most thorough, accurate, and quick at catching problems. Many times Kaspersky can shut down the virus before it can begin working...

I tried Chrome, did not like it one bit. I'll stick to Firefox thanks.