Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, about disabilities....

Wink So, about disabilities....

Since I first began to talk, my family has noticed that I have a very difficult time getting others to understand what I am saying. So, I eventually (at age 5) was placed into an intermediate speech therapy class, that later ended up being a daily class in my life. The class was fine, although I never once thought I had a problem, since I couldn't really hear how clustered my speech was.

I've been out of speech therapy for about 8 years now, and I may have to go back. Finally I can hear myself (a bit, anyway) and I understand how hard it is for people to understand me. I slur my words, and go so fast at times that I understand why others have to ask me to repeat myself. But it's so damn frustrating that I just don't want to.

I'm a clustered speaker. The words that come out of my mouth don't always hit my ears, and it takes a lot for me to notice it. But, I'm trying. I wouldn't call myself disabled, but that I have a problem. One that I may have to live with the rest of my life, which is fine.

I'm just curious if anyone else has any type of disability. Or just a malfunction in their senses like me.

Thanks so much!

I really wouldn't say it was a disability, but I actually went to a speech therapist until I was nine or so (I remember having one at school until the fourth grade). My issue (at the end, anyway, I don't remember if I had bigger ones when I was younger) was that I pronounced my "s" and my "ch" the same way ( a pretty big problem when your mother tongue is French), which actually brought me some degree of ridicule from my classmates... It never was a huge issue, and at times it was quite fun actually (towards the end, my therapy pretty much consisted of me reading Harry Potter aloud while the therapist corrected me whenever I fudged my pronunciation).

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryRaven View Post
    Since I first began to talk, my family has noticed that I have a very difficult time getting others to understand what I am saying. So, I eventually (at age 5) was placed into an intermediate speech therapy class, that later ended up being a daily class in my life. The class was fine, although I never once thought I had a problem, since I couldn't really hear how clustered my speech was.

I've been out of speech therapy for about 8 years now, and I may have to go back. Finally I can hear myself (a bit, anyway) and I understand how hard it is for people to understand me. I slur my words, and go so fast at times that I understand why others have to ask me to repeat myself. But it's so damn frustrating that I just don't want to.

I'm a clustered speaker. The words that come out of my mouth don't always hit my ears, and it takes a lot for me to notice it. But, I'm trying. I wouldn't call myself disabled, but that I have a problem. One that I may have to live with the rest of my life, which is fine.

I'm just curious if anyone else has any type of disability. Or just a malfunction in their senses like me.

Thanks so much!

My girl and I have been together 6 years and she talks that way, she finds it difficult to remember and rephrase what she's said and gets frustrated when she has to. Sometimes I repeat back what she's said to me that I didn't understand. I think that helps and doesn't frustrate her as much as remembering and rephrasing what she said. Sometimes her mind has moved on to something else and we have to pass on what she was trying to communicate moving on to something else. I enjoy talking to her. When we first met we staying up for three days talking and I've never done that with anyone else.
    I wouldn't call it a disability either. I'm not sure what to call it or attribute it to. I don't think it's a malfunction either. Just the way words and sentences get strung together.

I have a disability. I've got ME, or CFS, depending on what generation your doctors from, and it sucks. It's not a speach or mental disability though, and for that I'm ever greatful!

I'm also pretty psyched at the moment since there's recently been a study which shows a viral link to the disability, which means there could very well be a cure within my lifetime Yays!

Basically it means I go through phases of really low energy, I have a really rubbish immune system, and sometimes my muscles kind of wither up (especially in my legs) and I find it hard to walk.

Is it hard to walk because it hurts to use the muscles? I'll try to look up what ME and CFS are.

EDIT: got CFS but nothing for ME except fibro-something but that may be it.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryRaven View Post

Thanks so much!
    Well atleast ya can still type.

I have sensory issues. I don't like people within my personal space, like I freak out. I dont like crowds.
    My main problem is that I can hear a pin drop from the far side of my bedroom, across the landing and all the way into my brothers room! Shouting at me is like a method of torture

So I have a problem with...
    Car alarms
    Vacuum cleaners
    Bombs (although I do this for fun ?!?)
    My 2 year old brother
    Crowded places like shopping centres
    Anybody touching me when I'm not comfortable with it... (like when I was babysat years ago she would put her hand out to direct me...)

It's why I like playing snooker so much :P it's so spaced out and quiet.

I have some moderate nerve and muscle damage in my left leg, so I can't use it well enough to get around without at least an ace bandage. If I go without any support, my leg 'falls out' from underneath me and I keep on falling when I get up. Yeah, not fun.

I have hyper-sensitive hearing as well, so I tend to talk quietly and my consonant sounds used to be diluted and indistinguishable because of it. (Though that's also because of the severe overbite I had for the first 11 years of my life.) I've been working on it when practicing my singing and vocal skills, though, so I'm much better. Still can't stand loud or high-pitched noises, though. Or crowds of people, since my ears can't easily focus on one conversation or noise alone. (My family says that I have dog hearing.)

Quote Originally Posted by tongo View Post
    Is it hard to walk because it hurts to use the muscles? I'll try to look up what ME and CFS are.

EDIT: got CFS but nothing for ME except fibro-something but that may be it.
    I guess that's a simplified version!

My problem is I tend to use longer words than I need to. I have to work at 'dumbing down' my speech so that people can understand what I'm talking about. :P

And I don't like being touched, especially by people I don't know very well. So crowded stores are not my favorite place to be.

I've also got sensitive hearing and loud/obnoxious noises drive me insane. I can't sleep at night unless things are fairly quiet. And I hate really loud noises, like chainsaws, car alarms, and the insidious roar of the vacuum. (I really -really- hate the vacuum...I plug my ears up...but I love clean carpet. Why can't they make a quiet vacuum?)

I'm deaf, so that's a "hidden" physical disability. It's hidden until someone tries to verbally talk to me.

I grew up with speech therapy - I can talk but it's not perfect. Some people can understand me perfectly, while others may ask me to repeat what I was trying to say before I would have to resort to writing on a piece of paper.