Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DADT virtually repealed!

Default DADT virtually repealed!

The Senate voted to repeal DADT! Now it awaits the President's John Hancock this Wednesday.

It pretty much is repealed unless the President veto's it (if i remember from studies, the President can also not sign it and it will still go into law in 7 or 14 days). Kind of amazed the republicans let it go through, but I guess with the tax cut extensions (basically for the rich, as that was the only thing the republicans held out for) the moderates left in the party were willing to cross the aisle to get this over with finally.

After a half-year of blatant political games about "procedural issues", the Republicans finally ran out of viable political excuses on this issue. Thus, those who are moderates (i.e. the New England ones) and a few who'd committed to saying that they'd heed the Pentagon report had their hands forced.

In other news, the DREAM Act died again, because giving children who didn't have a choice when their parents immigrated illegally who have stayed out of trouble and have either served in the military or gone to college a path to citizenship, is "OMG amnesty for illegals who broke the law".

/cynical NutFreeFruitcake is cynical

DADT is the low-hanging fruit of the culture war social issues. Its repeal has overwhelming support from the country, polling above 70%. It's blatantly obvious how stupid it is to fire people whom we spend a ton of money training and who are completely competent, just because we found out something about their personal life. There's a thousand smaller reasons why it's bad policy, and little that can even be mistaken by misguided poor logic as a reason for it. It's likely to be overturned by the courts within the next few years regardless of what Congress does.

Don't get me wrong; I'm as glad as anyone else to see this policy go down in flames. It's just that, while most people will celebrate this victory for good reason, my takeaway from this ordeal is that if it was this hard to tackle a social issue so blatantly obvious with such wide popular support, how will we ever reach the higher fruit?

Dwhite

Good. If someone is going to fight for my safety and freedom I dont give a damn what there sexual orientation is.

I am glad DADT is being repealed since it rather seems pointless, largely at least. I'm sure someone as openly flamboyant as Perez Hilton would serve as a distraction. My primary issue was the federal judge who overruled/overturned it etc was pretty much blocked by Obama, but if Obama wanted it gone then what was the problem with the federal judge killing it? My guess is Obama wanted to be the final person to sign DADT to death.

I'm glad he's killed it and I know McCain wouldn't of signed it (McCain is stupid in that sense). But I feel as if he was a bit of a ass for trying to take credit for it's death.

Meh, politicians.

It takes them this long to kill something that most people in their country disapprove of. Probably because most of the people who disapprove of it are not nearly vocal enough.

If people in this country want to reach the higher fruit on the tree, a lot more noise from the moderates needs to be raised. So far, the people in the general citizenship who are making the most noise are the far-right or far-left extremists, so it's only natural that the politicians custum-tailor themselves to those viewpoints.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    The Senate voted to repeal DADT! Now it awaits the President's John Hancock this Wednesday.

You can count on Obama casting a veto. He's not passed up one single opportunity to stab the GLBT community in the back. Keep in mind that this is the same president who: 1.) Could have revoked DADT at any tome via executive order (being the Commander-in-Chief), and 2.) Actually sued to have DADT reinstated after the Federal court struck the law down.

This president is NO FRIEND to the gay community. Yeah, he got our votes in 2008. But he's legislated like an undercover GOP operative ever since getting elected.

I'd like it if the president does the right thing (for a change), but don't be surprised by a veto from the Oval Office.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    It takes them this long to kill something that most people in their country disapprove of. Probably because most of the people who disapprove of it are not nearly vocal enough.
    This is true. Most of these people would be like the people from "The rally to restore sanity." Then the people who are vocal about it would be people like me.. straight up idiots who have no idea what they are talking about or really getting into.

But hey. at least this isn't some poltical joke such as getting Ferret's legalized in California. (thread hi-jacked)

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    My primary issue was the federal judge who overruled/overturned it etc was pretty much blocked by Obama, but if Obama wanted it gone then what was the problem with the federal judge killing it?
    From what I've heard, if the courts killed it, it wouldn't give them time to ease the transition (basically it'd be instant). By passing the bill it gives them, 60 days (i think) for transitioning for the change. I'm guessing the transition is mainly things like training courses etc (to try to spell some of the "myths" people in the military may hold). The last part is purely guessing though.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    You can count on Obama casting a veto.
    My above comments cover most of the other, but considering one of the things Obama ran on was ending DADT, the worst that will happen is he won't sign it (which it would still go into effect after 7 or 14 days), but much more likely is it will signed in a few days.

If Obama does not let this pass, it would mean the Democratic party would lose way too many of the supporters that have kept it afloat for as long as it has.

Hopefully, those people will not turn to the far-right side of the spectrum if that happens.

I speculate wildly that if Obama puts in a veto, that could be the catalyst for more people to become interested in third parties. Not that much will come of it, but it's something to speculate about.