Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many people on here have an autistic spectrum disorder?

Default How many people on here have an autistic spectrum disorder?

Browsing through some of the posts here, I've noticed several people saying that they have some form of autism. I myself have aspergers and almost half the people I've met who are into AB/DL stuff seem to have it or something similar to it too. I wonder if there's some sort of correlation between a love of diapers and autism. What does everybody think?

There's a higher prevalence (but not by much according to Bittergrey who did a survey on all AB/DL's that did his survey) of *B/DL's that are also on the autistic spectrum. The thread (specifically, the post by BG) can be found here: ht tp://w ww.adisc.org/forum/adult-baby/31134-adhd-childish-connection-2.html#post520235 (remove the spaces since I'm not an established contributor yet)

I am on the spectrum myself - Asperger's. I believe my love for diapers stems not just from whether I am autistic (found out I was on the spectrum over a year ago), but from several childhood potty incidents and missing what I had as a toddler. I'm sure it's different for each and every one of us autistic that regularly browse, lurk and/or post on this wonderful support website.

I think I'm just touching the end of the spectrum.

You may have come across the Baron-Cohen* test (aka the AQ test). The way results are stated is that if you score 32, there is an 80% likelihood you are autistic. I scored 30...

Artie

*No, that's not Sacha Baron-Cohen, who plays Ali G, Borat, Bruno etc. It's his brother.

Butterfly Mage

I scored 31 on that test. But, truth be told, I think the test just picked up on the fact that I'm introverted, I like things to be very structured, and I notice mathematical patterns in things that others do not. But that's hardly the same things as autism.

That's freaky.
    I was just discussing this same topic with my partner this evening.
    Probably 3 or 4 of the ABs we have met have a degree of aspergers. He is also convinced that I have some of those characteristics myself. (30 on that aq test)
    I have always just thought I was introverted, painfully shy, and bored senseless/anxious about any social situation that involved fewer than 3 and more than 6 people.
    But I also notice that I am fairly useless at any conversation that isn't somewhat nerdy and fact based.
    Hmmm....maybe I need to reexamine my assessment of my position on this autistic spectrum disorder.
    David and I were discussing this, in part, because he had just had lunch with a friend and her 6 year old son who has been diagnosed with aspergers. Her son is a very nice boy, but definitely is very 'young' for his age, sucking his thumb and cuddling his mother. His younger brother is much more "mature"

Quote Originally Posted by BabyArtie View Post
    I think I'm just touching the end of the spectrum.

You may have come across the Baron-Cohen* test (aka the AQ test). The way results are stated is that if you score 32, there is an 80% likelihood you are autistic. I scored 30...

Artie

*No, that's not Sacha Baron-Cohen, who plays Ali G, Borat, Bruno etc. It's his brother.
    Simon and Sacha are cousins, not brothers. Thought I'd clarify that. (didn't know about this before, so I had to check on it)

I scored around 45-47 every time I took the AQ test.

I was curious, so I looked up that test...

I took an online version and got some really wild numbers. There are, apparently, four tests that make up the whole of the thing.

Systemizing: 62 (It's VERY high.)
    Empathy: 35 (falls into the low end of the average range)
    Autism Spectrum: 30 (like BabyArtie said...32 is very high)
    Reading the Mind in the eyes: 29 (I missed about five or six of them.)

Obviously it's not a diagnosis. That's for a trained person to decide. It's just kind of surprising some of the scores I got.

Quote Originally Posted by ajthepie View Post
    I myself have aspergers
    I to have aspergers.

I had a look at some of those other diagnostic tests and now i'm a little concerned. I was off the scale!
    Strangely enough I did better than average at reading the expressions, but I think that was partly through working out the testers system for choosing pictures. "Eyes looking away - look for thoughtful" . This realisation is probably diagnostic in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    I had a look at some of those other diagnostic tests and now i'm a little concerned. I was off the scale!
    Strangely enough I did better than average at reading the expressions, but I think that was partly through working out the testers system for choosing pictures. "Eyes looking away - look for thoughtful" . This realisation is probably diagnostic in itself.
    I noticed that, too. I didn't know if they were just too obvious about it or what.