Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US outlaw drop down baby cribs

Default US outlaw drop down baby cribs

Did anyone see the artical about the united States outlawing drop down baby cribs becuase of to many death case by them over the years . I wounder if the AB crib market going to chang there style to match the new ones. Sine we like to have what real baby nursery would have as AB does want.

here the news report link below
    After dozens of deaths, drop-side cribs outlawed | cribs, drop, side - Local News - WRGB CBS 6 Albany

Heard the story on the news this morning. I'm pretty sure there was a recall like this not to long ago or the government saw the problem and is now acting on it? Not sure, non the less i highly doubt any ab cribs will be changed..Nice to see that there fixing it for babies though maybe save a few lives.
    Last edited by ThatOneGuy95; 16-Dec-2010 at 21:20. Reason: typoss

I doubt AB ones would change, likely partly to do with a drop down being easier to conceal then one without it (never tried, but guessing it would be). Also, ABs tend to be more about their childhood, so I would think it would be at least a decade before the AB market changes, but again only guessing and could be completely wrong xD.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xxThatGuyxx View Post
    Heard the story on the news this morning. I'm pretty sure there was a recall like this not to long ago or the government saw the problem and is now acting on it? Not sure, non the less i highly doubt any ab cribs will be changed..Nice to see that there fixing it for babies though maybe save a few lives.
    From what it sounded like on the news, there were problems with them before (thus likely recalls), but now the government is completely banning them from the market all together due to the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    I doubt AB ones would change, likely partly to do with a drop down being easier to conceal then one without it (never tried, but guessing it would be). Also, ABs tend to be more about their childhood, so I would think it would be at least a decade before the AB market changes, but again only guessing and could be completely wrong xD.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

From what it sounded like on the news, there were problems with them before (thus likely recalls), but now the government is completely banning them from the market all together due to the problems.
    So i'm not crazy! Yess! haha i was listening to the news this morning eating my ego waffles and they were like "And the crib problem takes a toll today" I was like whaa? Thought that already happened XD

This was in a thread awhile back on another baby gear forum I belong to. The problem isn't so much with the design of a drop side crib, it's the inferior plastic parts being used in more recent years which fail under load. We still have our kids' Jenny Lind-style wooden drop side crib made back in 1985 and the side on it will not drop unless you release the lock. The locking mechanism and side rods the drop side slides on are all substantial steel parts. I personally think this was a knee jerk reaction in banning all drop sides. But probably it was easier (read cheaper) for the gov't to do a blanket ban than going through all the various makes of drop sides over the years and investigating which ones have the inferior, failing parts and just banning them.

I don't see any reason this should affect cribs designed for ABs. AB furniture in general is naturally built stronger to handle heavier weights of the user. And even though using a crib for babyish reasons, the user is still grown and mature enough to realize what they're doing and not overload the crib side if it's the drop type. On the other hand, a toddler has no concept of stresses being put on items they push, pull, or otherwise put their weight on, so the furniture needs to be built robust enough to keep from failing under normal loads that a child could impose.

~Pramrider

Well everything made cheap now days half of the US products come from foreign coutries now days so there cheaper made then what we use to make over in the US and here example look at old US car from 50's alot still run becuase they where built to last. But yes your right it is easier to hide but other design are easy to pull up with think like other countier use like hinge ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    This was in a thread awhile back on another baby gear forum I belong to. The problem isn't so much with the design of a drop side crib, it's the inferior plastic parts being used in more recent years which fail under load. We still have our kids' Jenny Lind-style wooden drop side crib made back in 1985 and the side on it will not drop unless you release the lock. The locking mechanism and side rods the drop side slides on are all substantial steel parts. I personally think this was a knee jerk reaction in banning all drop sides. But probably it was easier (read cheaper) for the gov't to do a blanket ban than going through all the various makes of drop sides over the years and investigating which ones have the inferior, failing parts and just banning them.

I don't see any reason this should affect cribs designed for ABs. AB furniture in general is naturally built stronger to handle heavier weights of the user. And even though using a crib for babyish reasons, the user is still grown and mature enough to realize what they're doing and not overload the crib side if it's the drop type. On the other hand, a toddler has no concept of stresses being put on items they push, pull, or otherwise put their weight on, so the furniture needs to be built robust enough to keep from failing under normal loads that a child could impose.

~Pramrider
    i also have an older style jenny lind drop side crib for my almost 2 year old daughter(well now it s a toddler bed) and its true. cribs arent made like the use to be(damned china and their cheap garbage) the interconnecting parts made with plastic tend to break easily causing critical failures which have led to the deaths of many children over the years. what i wonder is when crib makers go back to the drawing board, how they will design the next generation of cribs. the whole idea behind the drop side cribs was to make it easier and safer to put your baby in and out of the crib. maybe they will go back to the old style. as a side note the older cribs where also more sturdy....i know because i have laid on my daughters jenny lind convertible crib and while im smaller than the typical guy (5 foot 8 and maybe 135 or less) it has held me fine. i guess what im getting at is that crib makers need to go back to the old styles and make them with quality. id rather pay more for a good crib or other baby furniture than pay less and get a cheaper product.

Quote Originally Posted by waslost1234abc View Post
    ii know because i have laid on my daughters jenny lind convertible crib and while im smaller than the typical guy (5 foot 8 and maybe 135 or less) it has held me fine. i guess what im getting at is that crib makers need to go back to the old styles and make them with quality. id rather pay more for a good crib or other baby furniture than pay less and get a cheaper product.
    I'm with you 100% on your last comment. I guess being a mechanical designer by trade, and being a type of AB myself, I take more notice in how the baby items are made. I cringe seeing parts which will be subjected to the most stress being made out of a plastic material. True, there are high strength plastics used in the mfg industry, but they still won't hold up like the former metal parts will and still do.

I'm about the same build and weight as you, and I doubt the drop side on our older crib would fail even under my weight. It still meets the spacing requirements for rung spacing, and with the better made locking parts I don't consider it a risk at all for use with a child despite the ban on it. That was the general concensus of parents having older drop side cribs on the other board where this was discussed - not to ban all drop side cribs, only those that were made cheaply.

~Pramrider
    Last edited by Pramrider; 17-Dec-2010 at 00:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    I'm with you 100% on your last comment. I guess being a mechanical designer by trade, and being a type of AB myself, I take more notice in how the baby items are made. I cringe seeing parts which will be subjected to the most stress being made out of a plastic material. True, there are high strength plastics used in the mfg industry, but they still won't hold up like the former metal parts will and still do.

I'm about the same build and weight as you, and I doubt the drop side on our older crib would fail even under my weight. It still meets the spacing requirements for rung spacing, and with the better made locking parts I don't consider it a risk at all for use with a child despite the ban on it. That was the general concensus of parents having older drop side cribs on the other board where this was discussed.

~Pramrider
    im thinking an underground market will be developing.....on another note this is kinda throwing the baby out with the bath water. the drop side style is not bad the cheap way they are now made is. we can thank the race to the bottom aka the walmart/china effect....people expecting cheaper and cheaper prices....this is what happens....the usa should be forcing companies to be accountable to their products regardless of style. what will now happen is they will stop making drop side cribs but what they come up with next will be made just as cheap......the idea of made in the usa may be a memory but not the high quality that it stood for. back in those days people were willing to pay a premium knowing what they were buying would last a generation. now a days you buy, it breaks you buy again and end up spending the same amount....the iq of the typical consumer.....i wonder sometimes....

In Australia, we have a standard as2172, which covers the safety requirements of cribs. It covers allowable dimensions for gaps, restrictions against pinch points and trapping points, and functional tests to demonstrate strength, durability and stability. No crib may be sold without proving adherence to this standard.

Doesnt the USA follow a similar approach to product safety? Couldn't the strength requirements simply be made more rigorous rather than prescribe no drop side?

Will the AB market follow suit? I agree there will be about a twenty year lag, I know the crib I just made is a scaled up version of the one I slept in when I was a baby. But functionally, a fixed rail crib is going to be very difficult for an adult. Climbing over a 6 foot rail will take a high degree of athleticism! Even with my crib rail down, it takes some effort to go to bed.