Thread: Putting The Myth To Rest

Post Putting The Myth To Rest

Hello Everyone,

I had followed a link one evening last week that brought me to this forum. I have looked around after signing up but can't find the thread I was reading. So I figured I would just create a new one that will help dis-spell the myth that there is no surgery to make you incontinent...false, there is one.
    My situation will take a few minutes to describe but will help some people on this forum. Hopefully the topic can be discussed because I am interested in feed back and or questions that I am sure this will bring up.
    Lets begin....I am 44 years old now but this all began in the mid 1980's. I was hit by a car and suffered some nerve damage in my lower back. It wasn't until about a year or so later that I began to notice that my bladder wasn't emptying all the way and that even though I felt full when I would go it was a weak stream. I went to a urologist who ran a few tests and took pictures of the inside of my bladder. The result was there was some scarring and that my bladder was stretched. At the time there wasn't really much I could do other then self-cath. Well, I don't know about all of you but I hated it so I hardly ever did it.....
    Fast forward to the present. I was in another accident 2 years ago and after that accident my bladder went haywire. Started getting bladder spasms and I would retain large volumes of urine to the point my kidneys were going to get injured if I didn't do something about it. There were 2 different options to fix the problem. 1 was to have a stent put into my urethra to keep the sphincter open or surgery. After being sent home to think about what I wanted to do I did a little research and discovered that a stent could be removed but that it can also shift around over time and may require surgery to fix if that ever happened. So I chose the surgery. I didn't really want a forein object being in my body so surgery seemed to be more natural.
    The surgery would take me from being a High Pressure Incontinent to a Low Pressure Incontinent.
    The surgery is called an External Trans-urethral Sphincterotomy. Basically the doctor goes in and cuts the sphincter muscle in 2 locations and may make a small cut at the base of the bladder. I can longer hold urine. My kidneys make it and it instantly flows out.
    Choosing to be incontinent was the right thing for ME and all I can do is explain from my perspective. This surgery was the best thing I could have ever done. My health is so much better now and I feel better. It took some time to get used to being in diapers 24/7 but it wasn't long before I found the right diapers, and getting a routine down. I had to start getting in tune with my body. Even though I have no control I can feel when I am leaking into my diapers. I have noticed that wetting a diaper very slowly helps its absorbency levels. I don't flood my diapers anymore so I can wear a double diaper with a stuffer and go almost all day depending on how much I drink. I wear disposable diapers and I do have to carry around a fully stocked diaperbag but its not that big of a deal. I have a really nice baby styled diaperbag because it just seemed to have all the pockets and everything I would need will fit in it so why re-invent the wheel. I keep the diaperbag in my car so its always close by.
    For those who were wondering or thinking about "how to become" incontinent and wanted answers....I hope this helped. I will say that I had to go through a lot of tests with my doctor/surgeon before he would even consider it. When it came down to it, he seemed very reluctant. I explained to him that I was wearing diapers almost all the time anyway and that he would not be ruining my "quality of life" but rather he would be helping me. My doctor was very cool about my situation and was never anti-diapers or any of that. I found a doctor that listened to me and allowed me to have a say in my treatment. After all the tests results were back and lengthy conversations we settled on surgery and set a date.
    The surgery took about 2 hours and was home the same day. I had an over sized catheter in place for 14 days after the surgery to allow it to heal in an open position. The doctor told me that its necessary to have a cath because the body would simply try to fix itself. I went back and had the cath removed in his office and was helped into a diaper and sent home.
    I had 3 follow ups...3 months, 6 months, and 1 year. I have a clean bill of health, I am fully bladder incontinent for about a year and a half and I am extremely happy.

PAmperedJohnB

Umm... thanks for that? I think there have been more than enough stories and incidents where people have talked about becoming bladder or fecal incontinent, most of the time after a car accident. It's rather common to see stories like that, and I think everyone knows that it isn't impossible. On another note, I find it unlikely that you're bladder incontinent and 'extremely happy,' but again it isn't impossible.

Otherwise, you'll probably want to make an introduction thread and talk to us about your life OUTSIDE of the *B/DL world. This is a community site, after all. On another note, I'd probably add the tags of DL or AB to your profile; since you obviously are rather happy with your 'babyish' diaper bag and don't mind wearing diapers. Just sayin.'

If this is true, I fail to see the point, as you're never going to find a licensed doctor who will be willing to MAKE you become incontinent - this was done to correct a bladder issue threatening the OP's life. Not to "make him incontinent." I mean, it's fun to dream, but we don't advocate damaging your body.

I never doubted you can't become IC from say something like a serious car accident. But the real myth is your able to become IC without harming your body, sort of like reverse potty training which seems very unlikely and if not down right impossible.

This is why I always suggested the power drill method if you really want to be IC. (joking of course, but im sure it could possibly work.)

I have an active life and was not really much of an AB or a DL. Obviously anyone wearing a diaper for whatever the reason I would assume feels a bit babyish anyway. As for describing the diaperbag, its a baby style diaperbag meaning its not a backpack. I never said babyish....As far as wishing for surgery, I never wished for anything. All I can say is I am playing with the cards I was dealt. The only reason for the post to begin with was to give a point of view from someone who actually had this surgery. I have seen questions about this topic on a few different sites and chose this one to post to because I figured I may fit in better here than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by PamperedJohnB View Post
    I have an active life and was not really much of an AB or a DL. Obviously anyone wearing a diaper for whatever the reason I would assume feels a bit babyish anyway. As for describing the diaperbag, its a baby style diaperbag meaning its not a backpack. I never said babyish....As far as wishing for surgery, I never wished for anything. All I can say is I am playing with the cards I was dealt. The only reason for the post to begin with was to give a point of view from someone who actually had this surgery. I have seen questions about this topic on a few different sites and chose this one to post to because I figured I may fit in better here than anywhere else.

If it were to fit in anywhere, the question would not be suited for this site. I'm sorry, but this site is filled with some very skeptical people; including myself. To kind of... well, say what's on my mind again; I'm gonna call BS on the above post. It's so unlikely that it's not even funny. As I said before, it's seen commonly in stories... not in real life. And I don't think that EVERY IC person feels babyish, honestly. That's quite a bit of a judgement for such a large group of people, isn't it?

Also....I never said anything about having to find a doctor that will do it...assuming your faking. You cant get this surgery as even an option unless you have had the serious symptoms I was having. Over time my neurogenic bladder could have killed me. Very few options, there were other options as far as different surgeries but didnt like most of the outcomes. I was just sharing some info is all. I was hoping for a nice conversation rather than starting an argument.....if so, sorry about that.

Also....I never said anything about having to find a doctor that will do it...assuming your faking. You cant get this surgery as even an option unless you have had the serious symptoms I was having. Over time my neurogenic bladder could have killed me. Very few options, there were other options as far as different surgeries but didnt like most of the outcomes. I was just sharing some info is all. I was hoping for a nice conversation rather than starting an argument.....if so, sorry about that.
    Again as I said above, we're all very skeptical people here. Well, most of us. It's hard to really believe stuff like this; let alone form someone who's new to the site. You have made no intro thread, seem only interested in the surgery you've allegedly had, and offer no proof on the matter at hand. That's not to say we're asking for proof, but you should probably have built some kind of status in the community before you went out with these outlandish claims. Better luck next time, I suppose.

I'm sorry but I don't see what we can do with this thread. It's akin to observing to someone with an amputation fetish that just a little dose of gangrene will get a doctor to take care of that nasty old limb for them. There's no question that there are medical ways to produce incontinence but the only way it's going to happen is if, as in your case, that procedure produces a better medical condition for the patient than the starting point. We don't allow threads that advocate self-harm and while I don't think this thread advocates that, neither does it produce anything we can really work with, so I'm putting the closing whammy on it.

The only reason for the post to begin with was to give a point of view from someone who actually had this surgery. I have seen questions about this topic on a few different sites and chose this one to post to because I figured I may fit in better here than anywhere else.
    This post was simply a point of view from someone who'se been through what was undoubtably a tough time, and is making the best of it.

It can take a great amount of effort/courage for a newbie to speak up for the first time, especially on a site like this.

Please respect that, and unless you have hard evidence of them violating the rules, make newbies feel welcome.