Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Disinfecting/Cleaning Pacifiers.

  1. #1

    Default Disinfecting/Cleaning Pacifiers.

    I'm recovering from a cold, during which I used one of my pacifiers. I've heard of disinfecting it by placing it in boiling water, but how long do you put it in? Do you place the entire pacifier in or just dip it in for a few seconds? Are there other ways to disinfect it? Thank you in advance for the assistance!

  2. #2

    Default

    I've always heard that you're supposed to place a paci in boiling water for 3-5 minutes to sterilize it. That's only really necessary unless you use it while you're sick, though. For everyday cleaning (which is recommended), they have pacifier wipes so you can just wipe it down before you put it in your mouth. They're tasteless and non-toxic, too, so that's a plus. Also, depending on what kind of pacifier you're using, some of them are dishwasher safe. The Nuk5 is not because it's made out of latex, but a lot of silicone ones are. (Like the MAM pacis.)

    However, I have heard some conflicting opinions on boiling latex pacifiers more than once. The Playtex site says to clean latex pacis with hot water and mild detergent, but I've never owned (or cleaned) a paci so I can't be sure...
    Last edited by Shukkume; 08-Dec-2010 at 21:43. Reason: Typo ;u;

  3. #3
    crazykittensmile

    Default

    To completely sterilise it boil for 5 minutes - put a saucepan of water on the hob, and when it comes to the boil put the whole pacifier in and leave it on a rolling boil for 5 minutes. That should sterilise it completely.

    You can also buy sterilising liquid and tablets, such as Milton, for baby bottles/pacifiers etc which you just add to cold water and leave the pacifier in the solution for about half an hour (or whatever the instructions say) to sterilise it.

    Some pacifiers are are dishwasher safe and you can use a program of 80C+ to sterilise them and others can be sterilised simply by putting in the microwave for 2 minutes, but not all pacifiers are dishwasher/microwave safe so unless you have the packaging to check I wouldn't try these methods.

    Unless you've been using it when sick or have dropped it somewhere germy there's not really any need to other sterilise pacifiers as an adults immune system can cope with mild germs, just periodically wash them with warm soapy water and they should be fine.

    Also, after cleaning bear just remember to squeeze the nipples to let out any excess water that's gotten inside the little air vents and inside of the nipple.

  4. #4

    Default

    There's boiling it like said but there's also a sterilization device made that produces steam to clean them. I found it at wal-mart and it was pretty cheap. All you have to do is plug it in and put the paci in the top and it does the rest.

  5. #5

    Default

    I will suggest Miltons sterilising fluid or tablets to you - I use it every day

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    For everyday cleaning (which is recommended), they have pacifier wipes so you can just wipe it down before you put it in your mouth. They're tasteless and non-toxic, too, so that's a plus.
    Thank you for the cleaning suggestions. I may have to look into the wipes for future use.



    Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    However, I have heard some conflicting opinions on boiling latex pacifiers more than once. The Playtex site says to clean latex pacis with hot water and mild detergent, but I've never owned (or cleaned) a paci so I can't be sure...
    I'm fairly clueless on cleaning and such (hence why I asked), so I'm wondering, do you know where you heard or read that?



    Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    To completely sterilise it boil for 5 minutes - put a saucepan of water on the hob, and when it comes to the boil put the whole pacifier in and leave it on a rolling boil for 5 minutes. That should sterilise it completely.
    Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for - now to figure out how to boil it in my dorm building.



    Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    Unless you've been using it when sick or have dropped it somewhere germy there's not really any need to other sterilise pacifiers as an adults immune system can cope with mild germs, just periodically wash them with warm soapy water and they should be fine.
    Since I had a rather bad cold this week, I probably will boil it. I am glad to know, though, that periodically washing them as I have been doing is good enough for regular everyday use.

Similar Threads

  1. Messing and cleaning
    By KiruCookie in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17-Feb-2010, 18:56
  2. Cleaning mattress.
    By miles in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2008, 06:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.