Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with Wetness Indicators in Diapers?

Default What's with Wetness Indicators in Diapers?

Whats with the stripes they put in diapers to tell you there wet .YOu know for example Tranquilitys have apink strip that turns blue> I can understand them on baby diapers but not on big sizes. I mean you wet adipaer you know you are wet ! Why advertise the fact to the world by having a strip that turns a different color.

On traquilities you can remove it but not others . I hate the wetness strips!!!!

That's a good question lol. I could understand if the strips turned cold or something to let you know you are wetting. Maybe they are for a caretaker to tell you are wet, like if you are in a nursing home?

Butterfly Mage

If you are a paralytic, you might not be able to tell if you're wet.

I believe it is for the caretakers or nurse for patents who cannot tell for themselves.

Wetness indicators are mostly for patients who can't move or have dementia. (I can't say the same for unconscious patients, because they pretty much use catheters for them...) And, besides, they're mostly for the caretaker's benefit, because, in a clinical setting, checking a diaper the 'normal' way that parents do (to their babies) is seen as unprofessional and, in a lot of cases, invasive.

A lot of us hate the wetness indicators, too, but keep in mind that most of the diapers we wear as adults were meant for clinical settings, not AB/DL's.

They are more for like nursing homes and hospitals and such. This semester I did my nursing clinical in a nursing home and a hospital and the wetness stripe makes it a lot easier to tell if a person is wet when they may not be able to communicate. Also I think it might help with a patients mental well being because without it the next way to tell if they were wet would be playing TSA agent *comedic drum sound*.
    In all honesty though I don't think the wetness stripes matter or at least in the nursing home I'm at now... the diapers they have are so bad odds are you would notice the soaked bed long before you notice that the brief is wet.

Same reason they put wetness indicators on baby diapers. The old way of sticking the hand down the diaper isn't particularly nice or convenient for the caretaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I believe it is for the caretakers or nurse for patents who cannot tell for themselves.
    I think you have right in this what i have herd on this thing is right that you have say in your post.

AmbezeSubHealth

I have no problem with wetness indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    Same reason they put wetness indicators on baby diapers. The old way of sticking the hand down the diaper isn't particularly nice or convenient for the caretaker.
    Recently I've seen a mum quick and gently feeling a diaper from the outside, so apparently by the feel of the size she could indicate if needed changing or not.

As for incontinence diapers, the indicators are on the diaper but under the clothing. That's pretty pointless to me.