Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion Hypothesis...

Default Religion Hypothesis...

It just hit me... im half dead on sleeping meds... honestly i have no idea... but im just curious... take a step back everyone... and look at this hypothesis i just made up out of the blue...

schizophrenia<- could a lessor form more vastly common form of this be the cause of widespread religion as we see it now?

Like... something we cant detect with machines and things? Where our brains and bodies subconciously create and search for it?

i mean think...

cultures never exposed to like society or the modern world all have always had some kind of beliefs...

maybe its a very very low low lessor form of schizophrenia?

Just figured we needed a new topic of religious debate for fun. :P

Hmm...

I think it's more because of agents. We assign purpose and meaning to that which has none, because doing so allows us to understand things better. Once we know the real reason why something happens then we cease to need that agent, although some will still hold the belief, the meme, to which we can probably assign a half life... Physics of religion... this merits further study.

lol yeah, i've had my doubts as well. I have thoughts that maybe people had weird little beliefs at the dawning of time due to them being utterly ignorant to the huge, undiscovered world. this would cause them to seek guidance and if some schizo was smart enough to provide comfort or leadership then they could be hailed as kings or religious prophets. That being the case, if someone is told something enough times during an impressionable age, they can be made to believe it. This would serve those men/women in power for ages to come. and once that secret as to the truth died with said 'schizo' then it could be a fundamental belief unknown to others for generations.

But in spite of all the overwhelming evidence and facts against me regarding religion, I still find myself believing in an after-life and higher power. I'm not saying I know what it is, but it's better than nothing. Without meaning, humans are nothing more than energy condensed together in a complex form which sustains some odd chemical reaction called 'Life'.

It's miserable to think about! Yeah I'll be reborn into something else as my energy passes on through the various cycles of life, but that'd take lots of years and there'd be no concept of consciousness anymore. You would just be. No ability to understand existence. No ability to experience feelings. No ability to live. Simply doing your part to maintain balance in some weird pointless cycle of energy derived from complex chemical reactions.

I'd rather be called blind and stupid for my beliefs. Because then I can live life with hope. Others are entitled to their opinions, but so am I. My beliefs are my own and will stay that way.

Hey Chiharu dear have you read Richard Dawkins "the god delusion?"

The God Delusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another interesting but frightening concept:

God gene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for belief being "low lessor form of schizophrenia" I would think that would offer just as good an explanation as anything else!

All dogs are mammals, yet not all mammals or dogs.

I think it's entirely possible that there are schizophrenics who develop religious beliefs due to hallucinations: God speaking to them (or some other insanity). How often does a mother make the news for drowning her children because "God told her to"? So it certainly can happen.

That said, on many levels it's a logical misstep. My religious beliefs, personally, are based on personal philosophy (such as, things happen for reasons) as well as real life observations (to choose an extremely simplistic example, academic success). To associate either of those with schizophrenia, like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    As for belief being "low lessor form of schizophrenia" I would think that would offer just as good an explanation as anything else!
    either reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of what schizophrenia is, or betrays a mistaken belief that all people of faith base their beliefs on supernatural experience (whether said experiences are real or perceived being irrelevant).

I'm going to assume you (the OP) to be an atheist- though do correct me if I'm wrong. You could say that all religion is based on various logical fallacies- hallucinations being one of them, and others being due to misapplication of patterns or confirmation bias or various other evolved traits that cause problems in the logical circuitry in Homo sapiens. But the proposed system is to narrow to universally account for all religious belief, assuming an atheist view of the universe to be the objectively correct one.
    Last edited by AEsahaettr; 04-Dec-2010 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    All dogs are mammals, yet not all mammals or dogs.......
    I'm going to assume you (the OP) to be an atheist- though do correct me if I'm wrong. You could say that all religion is based on various logical fallacies- hallucinations being one of them, and others being due to misapplication of patterns or confirmation bias or various other evolved traits that cause problems in the logical circuitry in Homo sapiens. But the proposed system is to narrow to universally account for all religious belief, assuming an atheist view of the universe to be the objectively correct one.
    You would probably be wrong! I was never exposed to organised religion growing up (except in school where I struggled with the concept of faith and admittedly still do.) My mother was an agnostic & my father an atheist and never spoke about it till I got the courage up to ask about it in my late teens therefore my beliefs were confused about what not to believe in!

Re reading I really don't want to come across as ignorant as I did, I really feel for sufferers of any sort of mental disorder but am not so sure the human mind capable of such huge rationalization isn't sick on a species wide scale (and don't want to try and classify it as I consider myself symptomatic.)

I feel anyone trying to classify "an atheist view of the universe" is probably just as religious/needy for answers as the most devout and generous Christian.

And then again, there's always the chance that, y'know, there might be something out there.

Oh crap look now I'm a schizo for suggesting that

I think this didn't come across correctly. I notice you're a bit new here in terms of # of posts, so you might not know the abbreviation OP means "Original Post/Poster". So that last paragraph was actually directed at Chiharu. With respect to you, realize I wasn't trying to characterize you so much as I wanted to characterize your statement, if that makes sense. I think the statement I quoted was problematic in that it's overly simplistic- not to say you're a simpleton! I apologize if it came across that way.

That said:

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    I feel anyone trying to classify "an atheist view of the universe" is probably just as religious/needy for answers as the most devout and generous Christian.
    Why is that? My classification of "an atheist view of the universe" amounts to the universe lacking any sort of deity or consciously governing power. Isn't that the technical definition of atheism?

"a-" - without, not
    "theo-" god
    And then "ism," being a system of belief or state of being. Atheism.

The state of being without (a) god.

Butterfly Mage

I woundn't characterize religion as a form if schizophrenia. That isn't to say that religion is devoid of people who are mentally ill. There are lunatics like Fred Phelps and Osama Bin Laden that use religion as a conduit for their insanity. On the other hand, there have been remarkable people like Ghandi and Mother Theresa that used religion to humanity's benefit. Finally, there are religious people like Issac Bonewitcz who spent a great deal of energy promoting cult awareness (ie. how to NOT get sucked into a cult).