Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ADHD and the Childish Connection

Default ADHD and the Childish Connection

Hi Everyone
    I was wondering if anyone else here has been diagnosed or suspect that they have ADHD/ADD. I know it has nothing etiologically to do with being an AB/DL, but the two issues converge in interesting ways.

I was recently prescribed Ritalin, and I can't help but be a bit tickled by the idea that I am in need of a drug largely used for children. Childishness pervades my every day life. I've started a blog highlighting these issues and my struggle to control my impulses - the "netherworld" between childhood and adulthood that I can't seem to ever escape. (squirmyboy.wordpress.com) Is "struggling" with potty training and still being in school at the age of 34 two sides of the same coin?

I'm interested in hearing from others who are in the same boat.

There's recent research that claims the ADHD brain is essentially wired like 3-5 year olds. The paper, called "Cognition Without Control," (psych.upenn.edu/stslab/assets/pdf/STS_CDPS09.pdf)
    highlights the similar lack of frontal lobe development in children and those with ADHD. This allows us to be extra-creative and quick learners, but also means we have difficulty with social rules, following directions, and, yes, impulse and motor control. Talk about being forever-a-kid!

ADHD isn't something I typically would think of embracing.
    I'd think less about embracing the drugs associated as well. They mess you up.

I was diagnosed and treated for ADHD as a child, and I still very much have it at 27. I am constantly accused of being impulsive and reckless.

This allows us to be extra-creative and quick learners, but also means we have difficulty with social rules, following directions, and, yes, impulse and motor control. Talk about being forever-a-kid!
    There is definitely some personal truth in this. I can learn things in moments that take others hours. I was famous for not even starting to study for a test until the night before, but unfortunately the flipside is that I can put my foot in my mouth with even greater speed! lol

Yep, im ADHD diagnosed and have been since uhh i guess 7 or 8?

Yes but wasn't diagnosed till high school. Currently prescribed adderall. I agree the drugs can mess you up but at the same time I don't disagree with them.
    One thing I must say is to make sure you eat weather you are hungry or not. Eat like you would if you were not taking them.

If you would like to know more about ADHD I would suggest reading "Driven to Distraction". It helped me alot in understanding the whole ADHD thing.

I was diagnosed for a long time now, and tried a medication, but I hated it due to me being sleepy when taking it. I'm never taking another medication again.

i had adhd as a kid and i leaned how to controll it and i dont have good spelling and motor control and i am a quick learning and i know my way around a computer i can make one from the tower and bult it up to lieka 8,000$ gaming system in 15 min
    and have it tested and a Os installed in less then 1 day

Ritalin? Honestly, I wasn't aware that was still being prescribed.

I just found out that there's an excellent Adult ADHD center at UPenn in Philly. Quite appropriately, I'm still meaning to call them to see if I can get in.