Thread: Shut up BBC, shut up!

Default Shut up BBC, shut up!

Dear god BBC news, why will you not shut up about the world cup? I accept it's a news story, but it's not the ONLY story. Ever since the announcement, your entire programming has been worldcup worldcup worldcup, apart from maybe 5 minutes each hour, of which 4 is the weather forecast. For crying out loud, you employ hundreds of journalists around the world, use one!

I normally like listening to the BBC but lately I've noticed they're become a bunch of one worlders and it scares the hell out of me. They're doing their best to make sure the middle east knows that the British love the middle east. My guess is its an attempt to plant a message so the idiots from Jihadistan won't come bomb the UK. Everyone is so excited that these sporting events are going to be held in countries that clearly cannot sustain that kind on infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post
    Everyone is so excited that these sporting events are going to be held in countries that clearly cannot sustain that kind on infrastructure.
    I really don't think providing the infrastructure is going to be a problem for Qatar. It's a very wealthy country and the proposed stadia are rather extraordinary. That part of the world has a lot of form in constructing big ticket prestige projects and the kind of things they're planning now - entirely enclosed and air-conditioned stadia, for example - fit nicely into that and, I'm sure, will be breathtaking. In terms of sustaining such stadia, well, they're not planning to; they're going to pack a lot of it up and ship it off to other countries. At least that's the plan.

There are a lot of questions about Qatar - the climate, the size, the lack of footballing quality and interest in the region, even the alcohol restrictions, which should prove interesting when hundreds of thousands of European fans descend, but I don't think the technical quality of the sporting infrastructure is going to be a problem.

It's England.

Soccer over there is like... something equally as stupid and over-covered in America. Maybe Rosie O'Donnell.
    Yeah.

I know right. BBC is so dumb. I dont understand whats so great about kicking a ball around a lame field anyway.

Well, it's great fun to play and even more fun to watch with some overly enthusiastic friends...

But that doesn't mean it can't be overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawcross View Post
    It's England.

Soccer over there is like... something equally as stupid and over-covered in America. Maybe Rosie O'Donnell.
    Yeah.
    It's not just England, though. Football is by far the most popular sport in the world and this is a significant story that interests many millions of people across the globe; it is a a big deal. But has it been overplayed on the BBC and other media organisations? Well, sure, probably, but that's the nature of rolling news coverage when these kind of decisions get made or stories occur. They're only responding to broad public interest and an unavoidable consequence of that is that it's obviously going to be a bit tedious for those individuals who aren't interested.

Personally I'm just a little dubious about the merits of rolling TV news anyway. It is inevitably fairly shallow and leans towards the worse instincts of the news media in terms of quality of insight and judgement of scale and context. I love the BBC but give me the World Service over the TV news any day.