Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well done america, bringing a new meaning to shoplifting...

Manaray

I don't see why they did that. Most people who work retail will tell you, you can not do anything about shoplifters, except ask them if they need any help and follow them.

I worked a part-time security job for a while. Some may call it profiling, but you could actually tell when someone was going to try to steal something by watching their behavior. I would sit in a room with a two-way mirror and just wait for them to do it, then go out and detain them until the cops arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    I worked a part-time security job for a while. Some may call it profiling, but you could actually tell when someone was going to try to steal something by watching their behavior. I would sit in a room with a two-way mirror and just wait for them to do it, then go out and detain them until the cops arrived.
    Speaking of profiling, I am sad that I nailed the appearance and race of the women involved. Truth is a viable defense and all, but it still makes me sad that some things in this country are so predictable.

Note, of course, this is a post-hoc examination of things. At the time, would I look at these two more closely than other patrons in the store? Well, if their behaviors were odd (clustered around racks, huddled together, looking out at the store and then quickly ducking back toward the clothing), then yes, yes I would.

Full disclaimer: I have worked loss prevention myself. I saw whites, blacks, hispanics, and Mexicans steal. They stole computer parts, software, cables, and beer. Before I knew better (my training was, "here's your shirt. Don't let property leave the store") I tackled and held a Mexican national for stealing a laptop and hiding it under his jacket. He was about to leave. We turned him over to the cops, who dropped him off at the border.

Oh no, they're both black. So it has to be racism.
    Of course, if they were both white, it wouldn't be racist at all.

If they're stealing, they're stealing. The fact that they're two African-American women doesn't mean much. They could be friends or related, etc etc. And I don't know about you all, but the first thing I see when I see someone of a different colour (like, oh god, that's so rare) is not that they must be stealing watermelons or chicken. And the first thing I think when I see these two womens' pictures is not "oh they're black, I smell racism!" It's "they don't look fat enough to do that." I also think criminals are criminals.

More importantly, humans are humans. People are people.

(And look, sorry if I'm being offensive to anyone here. I'm just speaking frankly. I've got several ethnic family members.)

I wasn't insinuating anything about racism with my "profiling comment, by the way. My comment was profiling based on action and behavior, not by race. By the way, the store was in a predominantly African-American section of the city, so I actually watched other races more closely because they were "out-of-the-ordinary" in the area.

Racist!

Naw, that's just being smart.
    And I guess I took your statement sort of the wrong way aroundish. I understand now.