Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice in choosing a diaper...

Default I need some advice in choosing a diaper...

(This was originally a post on my in-site blog, but I figured that, if I wanted answers, I should post it on the forums. So here's to selfishness and my second thread made. >.>)

So. I'm just about ready to order some halfway decent diapers off the web for myself.
    The problem that instantly presents itself is that I've never used a halfway decent diaper, nor do I know which would be better for myself than not. (I've only ever used Depends Maximum Absorbency [or whatever they're now called] and Goodnites.)

I've heard wonderful things about Bambinos, Molicare, Dry 24/6, Secure X-Plus and so on. Heck, I've even heard good things about Attends.
    What I would request from all of you is a bit of advice on which would be, in your opinion, the best diaper for me to use realistically - that is, to use under clothes while out and about, sitting up and standing down. Realistically, as I said before. Nothing too massive and unwieldy, as I've heard Bambinos might possibly be...

I usually wear moderately baggy things (cargo pants, jeans, almost always a hoodie or coat), and I've never had trouble hiding any of the diapers that I mentioned I've worn, if you need some sort of a guide.

So thanks in advance for your advice, if you see fit to give me any.

I have used the Abri-Form x-plus, molicare and attends. Attends aren't what they used to be so I would take a pass on them. Molicares and x-plus are both on the same level in my opinion with the x-plus usually available a bit cheaper. For going out and about I recommended the Abri-Form super or extra absorbency the x-plus absorbency are excellent for night wear but can be a bit thick super will be thinner than extra but the extra can hold an extra wetting so if you want to use it in public but not need to change I would go with that method. They come in original style with plastic or an air versio0n with cloth. Cloth is more discrete in public but that comes down to preference. Xp medical tends to have the best price on a regular basis for them you can check out the different styles on their page here. XP Medical - Abena Abri-Form X-Plus Adult Diapers

Hi Shawcross congrats in moving up the diaper ladder. I've used almost everything but some not for a while. The Bambinos and Secure X plus are pretty much the same if not exactly. They are pushing the limits but still fine under the baggy clothes you describe and pass all but the closest scrutiny. Up close, personal, in the house with family that sees you all the time, something might be noticed. Same thing for the Mollicare super plus.

Abena X plus and Dry 24-7 (24/7 are my absolute faves and a must try) are more noticeable, swell, quite a bit when wet and will make you waddle a bit.

Another awesome daytime diaper if you see them are the Tranquility ATN (All-Through-the-Night). They are nothing like those above but way better than the Depends Max briefs. They hold a lot and have a nice semi crinkly plastic back.

Molicare Supers if they still make them are a lot thinner but still perform well, same with the Abena super or xtra.

One caution I and others have noticed is a lot less (if none at all), odor control compared to others, this could have changed as I have not had Abenas for a while.

After having tried the Abena X-Plus, Molicare Super Plus, and the Dry 24/7 (all in medium), although this isn't exactly the answer to your question, I still like the molicare the best of the three. The Abena just isn't as soft as the Molicare in general and also comes up higher on the waist which isn't as comfortable. The Dry 24/7 is just too big for me. I'm 6' 150lbs and no matter how tightly taped the Dry 24/7 feels really loose. I know people have issues with the molicare clumping up when wet but I guess I don't wear them long enough when wet for that to be an issue.

Also, on the subject of cloth, while it is more discreet and makes almost no noise, am I the only one who has had issues with it? On the Abena's I swear I've had leaking through the cloth outer layer and because the cloth doesn't have the elasticity inherent in the plastic they also don't seem to fit very well. Oh and also the tapes don't stick anything like as well as they do to the plastic, so coupled with the lack of stretch in the "cloth" they get loose easily and fast.

Sorry if that's not exactly what you where looking for. The only experience I have with thinner stuff is the Abena pullups (which suck) and the Abena Abri-Wing, which despite being "cloth" actually aren't bad. Due to the velcro system they fit well and are also really easy to take on and off (which might be a plus for being out in public).

my first good quality diaper were tranquility atn's. they hold quite a bit, and i wore them in public ALOT, even around family. they can swell up, but if you're wearing jeans it's hardly noticeable. they do crinkle quite a bit (it's a night time diaper) but you can hide it, and not to many people are paying attention. the tapes are good, there is another tape ontop of the first for an adjustment.

the only thing i don't like about these is that, there is no waistband. i haven't had these in about a year or so, but when i had them, they didn't. so, when i would wear at night and sleep on my stomach, i was vulnerable to leaks.

bambinos are good, but like you said, they are not discreet AT ALL. sure, you may be able to get away, but after a few wettings, they will swell and your pants will have a bulge.

i want to get my hands on dry 24/7's, just need to get paid.

good luck in your diaper pursue!

h3g3l: That seems sagacious.

xolyshaxo: Abri-Form Super or Extra? Thanks, I'll definitely add those to my prospects list.

Koda: So I should stay away from the Abena X-Plus and Dry 24/7 for daytime use and go more toward the Bambinos, Secure X-Plus, or Tranquility ATN? I've actually heard great things about the latter, and it's smaller than the other two, I imagine. Thanks for the advice. I was considering the Dry 24/7 quite seriously, and probably will try the sample anyway. But I'm glad for the advice, thank you.

Banter: I'd also heard some things about Abena's smell problem. Maybe I'll avoid them, as it seems not to be an isolated incident. Better safe than sorry, yes?

Melancholy: So that's another vote for Tranquility ATNs. Nice, thank you.

So that is, in tally..
    Tranquility ATN - 2
    Abri-Form - 1
    Bambinos - 1
    Secure X-Plus - 1

Though I'm still going to try to get the Dry 24/7 samples.
    Thanks for the input, guys! (And I would appreciate a bit more if anyone has anything to add.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawcross View Post
    h3g3l: That seems sagacious.

xolyshaxo: Abri-Form Super or Extra? Thanks, I'll definitely add those to my prospects list.

Koda: So I should stay away from the Abena X-Plus and Dry 24/7 for daytime use and go more toward the Bambinos, Secure X-Plus, or Tranquility ATN? I've actually heard great things about the latter, and it's smaller than the other two, I imagine. Thanks for the advice. I was considering the Dry 24/7 quite seriously, and probably will try the sample anyway. But I'm glad for the advice, thank you.

Banter: I'd also heard some things about Abena's smell problem. Maybe I'll avoid them, as it seems not to be an isolated incident. Better safe than sorry, yes?

Melancholy: So that's another vote for Tranquility ATNs. Nice, thank you.

So that is, in tally..
    Tranquility ATN - 2
    Abri-Form - 1
    Bambinos - 1
    Secure X-Plus - 1

Though I'm still going to try to get the Dry 24/7 samples.
    Thanks for the input, guys! (And I would appreciate a bit more if anyone has anything to add.)
    Heh. One does what one may/must. : /

I would recommend Molicares, but our needs are different and I suspect they are not what you would be looking for. I'd still advise picking a few up for night-time use, though. ; )

I'm not sure where you stand on plastic-versus-cloth backing, but I'd always go plastic, myself, as the cloth stuff is sometimes TOO breathable and passes urine.

The ATNs seem too thick (circa 2005) to be really good for what you want to do with them.

The Dry 24/7s are advertised as a "sport diaper," meaning that you can use them doing the things you'd typically do during the day. I find, however, that they feel REALLY wet, and this makes me worry that they're about to leak when they're nowhere close. The Molicares are much better in this regard. And a Dry 24/7 stuffed with a Molicare--while huge--really doesn't even feel wet amidst huge soakings.

I'd put in a vote for an Abena product. I have the Super Ultra Amazing X-Plus-Ultras or something (circa 2 years ago; I hear they changed since I bought and held them), and they are incredible. Again, this a bulky diaper; our needs and desires probably differ.

Well, I'm looking for something that I can wear moderately discretely under clothing. And I would almost always go for plastic-backed instead of cloth-backed.
    I'm used to Depends Max, so I don't think feeling damp is too bad for me. I'm used to it.\

The Molicares... are they thin enough, even when wet, for everyday usage?
    Same question for the Dry 24/7s and Abena X-Plus (with whatever ultra adjectives are on it... >.>), since you seem to know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawcross View Post
    Well, I'm looking for something that I can wear moderately discretely under clothing. And I would almost always go for plastic-backed instead of cloth-backed.
    I'm used to Depends Max, so I don't think feeling damp is too bad for me. I'm used to it.\

The Molicares... are they thin enough, even when wet, for everyday usage?
    Same question for the Dry 24/7s and Abena X-Plus (with whatever ultra adjectives are on it... >.>), since you seem to know what you're talking about.
    Aha, but that's just it: I don't wear 24/7, and have never been out and about in diapers. I walk all weird when diapered, so this isn't even an option for me.

Molicares and Dry 24/7s would probably be thin enough for everyday "stand-up" usage. As for the X-Pluses and Bambinos, I'd not think these would be thin or quiet enough to use outside.