Thread: Later

Leonard

Default Later

I came her to tell my story, and while some are interested, I'm still appalled that people are familiar with the cliche of the typical diaper story and still run to it in favor of something new and exciting.

might come back. might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    I came her to tell my story, and while some are interested, I'm still appalled that people are familiar with the cliche of the typical diaper story and still run to it in favor of something new and exciting.

I'm a bit confused about this. Are you upset because someone has said your story is a cliche or that you're calling it a cliche and are frustrated with people for not understanding it?? Help us out here.

Quote Originally Posted by HellHound View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this. Are you upset because someone has said your story is a cliche or that you're calling it a cliche and are frustrated with people for not understanding it?? Help us out here.
    Seems to me like he never posted his story at all. :/

In my experience here, people APPLAUD new and exciting as opposed to bland. *shrug*

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Unfortunately, the reason the cliched diaper stories are cliched, and have been done 100 times before, is because they are what people like writing about. It stands to reason that what a large number of people enjoy writing about is likely what a large portion of people would like reading about as well. Just because your story has not instantly become popular does not mean it isn't a good story, or that people on here don't enjoy reading it. However, you cannot expect to come to the forum and post a story and to instantly have a plethora of fans. Most of the authors on here who have a lot of readers are people who have also made a lot of friends on the forums, they are known and a lot of their readers are their friends. Most have also written several stories, so that the people who enjoyed their first story have also enjoyed subsequent stories. A lot of them also shamelessly plug their stories at every opportunity, linking to it in the chatroom, forums and private/visitor messages to ensure that people read it.

I don't understand why, just because you haven't got hundreds of people reading your work, you feel the need to give up and leave. You will never get fans with that attitude, which quite frankly is completely immature. From what I have seen you have gotten nothing but good feedback with regards to your story, and it is clear that people are interested. However, you can't expect that every time you post a new chapter you will get more comments - personally whilst I will give comments to the first few chapters of a good story, there becomes a point where I just want to read the story and don't want to have to unpick the events and style of each chapter to offer more feedback. I'm sure this is what has happened with your story - the people interested are still reading it, but they have already told you that they like it and so don't feel the need to keep reaffirming that after every chapter, particularly as your story is complete and thus there is no point in offering any sort of advice or encouragement as it can't alter the shape of the story.

Once you have posted one story, you will likely find that once you post your next story all of the people who enjoyed your last work will also check out anything new. New people who read your new story and enjoy it will likely go back and read your previous work as well. Nobody can expect overnight success, and to to do is nothing short of egotistical. Whilst writing is a fairly self-indulgent activity in the first place, don't make it worse by throwing a strop just because you didn't get as many comments as you hoped for!

All you will accomplish by leaving now and abandoning your story is showing the people who are currently reading, and enjoying, your story that you neither respect or appreciate their interest or the positive feedback they have offered you. You show them that you don't appreciate your readers as individuals, but merely as a quantity, where more equals better, and that if you don't have a high number of readers in your eyes you may as well have none. With that attitude you are very unlikely to extend the number of readers you have, you will only lose the ones you've got.