Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilots and Aviation Buffs - Are you a pilot or love aviation?

Default Pilots and Aviation Buffs - Are you a pilot or love aviation?

Just curious, how many members have an interest in flying or are a pilot themselves?

I am a private pilot (meaning I don't fly for pay) and also have a bit of aviation experience during a career in a former life. Still love flying, but don't get to do it as much as not enough $$$$$.

I've seen a few posts with questions about pilots wearing diapers. I never have, but there are a few times I really wish I had been! Cross-country flights after drinking a large soda don't mix!

Also, there a few times when I have had the $%*$&# scared out of me and it would have been convenient to have been wearing one at the time.

In any case, I would like to know how many of us that like to fly, can fly, or would really want to?

Currently a PIT with about 25 hours. Will be soloing soon just doing some pre solo emergency work. problem is its dark by like 4pm now.
    Last edited by Lorditachi; 29-Nov-2010 at 04:48. Reason: Meant to say PIT

I just love aviation! I have always love planes and I guess inherited it from my father because he loved planes too. I was also lucky enough to get to work on helicopters when I was in the Marines all those many years ago. I worked on CH-46E helicopters. They are quickly being phased out for the new V-22 Osprey and most Sea Knights have found their way to the desert for long term storage. I will miss the Phrogs as they are called and they have served the country well for almost 50 years. As an added note I have one as a picture for my avatar.

I'm a pilot

PPL with an IMC and night raiting Adore flying but because of the sheer it's impossible to fly near as much as I'd like to!

I'm a pilot, yes. Or rather, was. I haven't flown for a little bit, due to money as well. Perhaps I'll come back to it in the future. (Good heavens, the FAA regulations about being a certified pilot are so very annoying. It will be frustrating getting back into it all.)
    Never wanted anything extra but a barfbag on one occasion, and that was while taking off in a horrible little Cessna 152 from a valley airport on a very windy day. First and last time I got queasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorditachi View Post
    Currently a PIC with about 25 hours. Will be soloing soon just doing some pre solo emergency work. problem is its dark by like 4pm now.
    Lorditachi, that's great that your are working on your license. I can remember my first solo flight very well. I actually posted a bit about the experience on the "Longest and Shortest Flight" in the other stuff forum. You might get a kick out of reading it since your getting ready to solo. Its entitled "Very Short Flight - But still could have used diapers!!"

If there is any piece of advice I can give you, it is don't do anything that you feel is not right, regardless of what your instructor is telling you. In my case, I had an instructor who made a simulated emergency into a real one and we had one shot at landing with a dead engine to make it. If I had screwed up, he may or may not have been able to recover. Later I had a different instructor who was dumbfounded at what this other instructor had done (and this instructor was actually a crop-dusting pilot).

I would love to fly except not necessarily an airplane. I'm more into flying a spaceship Firefly style. It's been my dream to do that since I was a kid when I saw the tv show Space Cases (which also has Jewel Staite in it). I've never flew in an airplane before. It's on my list of things to do before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyBearcub View Post
    Lorditachi, that's great that your are working on your license. I can remember my first solo flight very well. I actually posted a bit about the experience on the "Longest and Shortest Flight" in the other stuff forum. You might get a kick out of reading it since your getting ready to solo. Its entitled "Very Short Flight - But still could have used diapers!!"

If there is any piece of advice I can give you, it is don't do anything that you feel is not right, regardless of what your instructor is telling you. In my case, I had an instructor who made a simulated emergency into a real one and we had one shot at landing with a dead engine to make it. If I had screwed up, he may or may not have been able to recover. Later I had a different instructor who was dumbfounded at what this other instructor had done (and this instructor was actually a crop-dusting pilot).
    Yeah I just switched instructors to one that can fly on weekends early in the day and hes a bit more crazy with emergencies also. We were practicing Crosswinds and landings and he randomly pulls the power out and says I lost power. Happy part was I landed fine.

I love aviation, prb will never fly, but love traveling in airliners and have interest in airliners and beavers and otters I think? Oh that and I used to work as a ramp agent for two diff companies

I have all the ground school taken care of, I just need money now for the flight lessons. But I love flying and plan on becoming a private pilot sometime next year (hopefully).