Thread: Bleeh :)

Default Bleeh :)

Hey I'm just trying to acess the forums and ya not letting meh :/. It's telling me I have to post this so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone View Post
    Hey I'm just trying to acess the forums and ya not letting meh :/. It's telling me I have to post this so yeah.
    I see.

So you are conforming to the letter, but not spirit, of the site. And you're doing this only when forced by software.

It seems to me that this might not be the best way to begin here.

Viewing Thread Kaylen's Damp Days
    You went through all this to read a story? Wow.

Wow!!!!! this has to be the worst introduction ive ever seen I mean you misspelled "access" (just kidding but no really this is bad) I am gunna give you a negative rep if you dont take pride in joining such a wonderful community then why even bother... this is quite honestly abusive of you to just post this with no effort at all so you can be selfish and access the content of the forums which I dont think you deserve to see

This is pretty disappointing from "Someone", however, on some level I suppose I appreciate the honesty. From a different perspective its good to see posters like Toddy & h3g3l who are protective of this site and its original intended purpose. Thanks you two, for at least saying something.

Mike

crazykittensmile

Welcome to ADISC, Someone

It's great that you have taken the first step and posted an introduction, however, you haven't really told us much about you! Whilst posting the required intro may gain you access to the site, you will likely gain a lot more from adisc if you work towards becoming an active member. It's a great place to make friends, ask questions are share your thoughts with like-minded people. If you're always reading but never posting you miss out on all of that! Plus, once you become an established member you will gain access to new parts of the forum which aren't currently available to you.

I suggest you try again with your intro, tell us a bit about yourself - what are you hobbies and interests? What brings you here? What are you hoping to get out of adisc? There are so many members here I'm sure if you shared a little about yourself you'v be surprised by how many other members you have things in common with! There is a really handy 'cheat sheet' which can help you to write a great intro, which can be found here: http://www.adisc.org/forum/greetings...roduction.html

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Wow!!!!! this has to be the worst introduction ive ever seen I mean you misspelled "access" (just kidding but no really this is bad) I am gunna give you a negative rep if you dont take pride in joining such a wonderful community then why even bother... this is quite honestly abusive of you to just post this with no effort at all so you can be selfish and access the content of the forums which I dont think you deserve to see
    This is not a valid reason to give negative rep! Neg rep should be given out when somebody breaks the rules, not just because they are not entering into what you perceive to be the 'spirit' of the website or taking pride in the website. Adisc is a community, not some sort of fascist state in which everybody must fly the adisc flag and be proud to be a member here. The only way we will make new members proud to be a part of our forum is by showing them the very best of our community, and neg repping somebody on their first post certainly does not show that! It is not mandatory that all adisc members are active on the forum, hence why the forums are viewable to guests and lurkers. Whilst of course we would prefer members to be active, it is not out place to tell other members their reasons for joining are not valid, and certainly not our place to neg rep them for them!

Plus, do you really think giving a user neg rep when they have only just joined the site is going to encourage them to continue to post on this website or try to improve their posts? No. It is only going to serve to make them decide we're all mean and hostile here and never come back. We should be welcoming new members and work to encourage them to contribute to the website and enter into the 'spirit' of adisc. This means being friendly and wlecoming to new members, perhaps trying to engage them in conversation rather than immediately attacking them. It certainly does not mean giving them neg rep just because you don't approve of their reason for posting an introduction.

Before you start chastising new members for not following the rules I suggest you go and read them yourself. You have been here over 6 months, so I do not understand how you can have missed the rules regarding giving negative rep. http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Rules for handing out neg rep:
    The poster has clearly not broken any rules or done anything to deserve neg rep. Whilst his introduction may have been disapointing, it is not the worst intro we have ever had here, and at least he is honest.

I also suggest you read this thread before you try commenting on an introduction thread again: http://www.adisc.org/forum/greetings...me-newbie.html

If in future you don't have anything nice to say to a new member in their introduction thread, I suggest you refrain from saying anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post

This is not a valid reason to give negative rep! Neg rep should be given out when somebody breaks the rules, not just because they are not entering into what you perceive to be the 'spirit' of the website or taking pride in the website. Adisc is a community, not some sort of fascist state in which everybody must fly the adisc flag and be proud to be a member here. The only way we will make new members proud to be a part of our forum is by showing them the very best of our community, and neg repping somebody on their first post certainly does not show that! It is not mandatory that all adisc members are active on the forum, hence why the forums are viewable to guests and lurkers. Whilst of course we would prefer members to be active, it is not out place to tell other members their reasons for joining are not valid, and certainly not our place to neg rep them for them!

Plus, do you really think giving a user neg rep when they have only just joined the site is going to encourage them to continue to post on this website or try to improve their posts? No. It is only going to serve to make them decide we're all mean and hostile here and never come back. We should be welcoming new members and work to encourage them to contribute to the website and enter into the 'spirit' of adisc. This means being friendly and wlecoming to new members, perhaps trying to engage them in conversation rather than immediately attacking them. It certainly does not mean giving them neg rep just because you don't approve of their reason for posting an introduction.

Before you start chastising new members for not following the rules I suggest you go and read them yourself. You have been here over 6 months, so I do not understand how you can have missed the rules regarding giving negative rep. http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcem...697-rules.html

Rules for handing out neg rep: The poster has clearly not broken any rules or done anything to deserve neg rep. Whilst his introduction may have been disapointing, it is not the worst intro we have ever had here, and at least he is honest.

I also suggest you read this thread before you try commenting on an introduction thread again: http://www.adisc.org/forum/greetings...me-newbie.html

If in future you don't have anything nice to say to a new member in their introduction thread, I suggest you refrain from saying anything at all.

Ouch that stings what you said but I dont really care thats you opinion. I gave the negative rep because thats what I thought was right in my opinion. Secondly I dont think this person even cares about a negative rep we could ban this person and I bet he wouldnt shed a single tear over it, this person's join date is JUNE! and this is their first post this is no effort at all. I gave him a negative rep for multiple reasons I take offense to you parading me, saying I need to read the rules I am perfectly nice and you dont even know me (you havent even made an effort to get to know me just reading my post and judging me on that how wrong of you!) so dont judge me. how rude of you to judge me and say I need to read the rules I havent lashed out at anyone before this isnt me even lashing out to this person I just did what I thought was right in my personal stand point of views. maybe you need to brush up on the rules and with your manners as well (see doesnt quite feel good when your called out like how you did to me) Here is a personal tip since I am honestly really offended, you should keep your suggestions to yourself unless asked upon, I haven't done anything wrong to you or anyone on this site so I deserve to be treated with a little bit more respect and dignity even if I made a mistake giving this person a negative rep (even though I think this person completely deserves it)

AND if you think I need to re-read the rules why not send it in a private message, rather then call me out in front of all of the public who views this thread?

there im done ranting I still take offense though and in my opinion I think someone is a little to high up on their pedestal but I am sorry for the way I gave a negative rep and for this long ranting message and if you take offense to this

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Ouch that stings what you said but I dont really care thats you opinion. I gave the negative rep because thats what I thought was right in my opinion. Secondly I dont think this person even cares about a negative rep we could ban this person and I bet he wouldnt shed a single tear over it, this person's join date is JUNE! and this is their first post this is no effort at all. I gave him a negative rep for multiple reasons I take offense to you parading me, saying I need to read the rules I am perfectly nice and you dont even know me (you havent even made an effort to get to know me just reading my post and judging me on that how wrong of you!) so dont judge me. how rude of you to judge me and say I need to read the rules I havent lashed out at anyone before this isnt me even lashing out to this person I just did what I thought was right in my personal stand point of views. maybe you need to brush up on the rules and with your manners as well (see doesnt quite feel good when your called out like how you did to me) Here is a personal tip since I am honestly really offended, you should keep your suggestions to yourself unless asked upon, I haven't done anything wrong to you or anyone on this site so I deserve to be treated with a little bit more respect and dignity even if I made a mistake giving this person a negative rep (even though I think this person completely deserves it)

AND if you think I need to re-read the rules why not send it in a private message, rather then call me out in front of all of the public who views this thread?

there im done ranting I still take offense though and in my opinion I think someone is a little to high up on their pedestal but I am sorry for the way I gave a negative rep and for this long ranting message and if you take offense to this
    You're in the wrong here Toddy. There was no need to neg-rep the Thread Starter. You talk about babyjess judging you, yet you've done exactly the same thing to another member who you know nothing about. That said, neither of you should be discussing rep in public, especially in somebody's introduction thread. If you feel that babyjess should have PMed you this instead of posting it in public (and yes, I think she should have) then you should have done the same thing. That's my opinion.

To the Thread Starter: If by some miracle you come back again after all of this, then welcome =)

Babyjess said everything that needed to be said regarding your introduction, and she also provided an excellent link which should help you out quite a lot! Once you've posted another intro, you should go to the Requests forum and get your negative reputation reviewed by a member of staff. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    You're in the wrong here Toddy. There was no need to neg-rep the Thread Starter. You talk about babyjess judging you, yet you've done exactly the same thing to another member who you know nothing about. That said, neither of you should be discussing rep in public, especially in somebody's introduction thread. If you feel that babyjess should have PMed you this instead of posting it in public (and yes, I think she should have) then you should have done the same thing. That's my opinion.
    Thank you I agree with you and you said it in a much more calmer manner I did judge Someone, and I see now that I did and that I wrongly gave him a negative rep (still I did it with good intentions for the site that I love and that was my problem I was to passionate and let my own feelings get in the way of my judgment)

With that being said I am sorry BabyJess for getting upset and calling you out and im sorry Someone for the negative rep