Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-SSDI argument I heard

Default Anti-SSDI argument I heard

Now, this argument I just heard is so ridiculous that I thought I would relay it on.

Some guy just told me that I was stealing from him and millions of other Americans. His rationale for that was that because I was living off Disability, I was on a "butter train" that came at the expense of himself personally and every other conservative in the country. Therefore, that made me a "thief".

He claims that people are not entitled to medical care at all - they have to earn the right to be treated in hospitals or to see doctors. Better that than to have his taxpayer dollars pay to save somebody's life.

Not surprisingly, he also blames everything that is wrong in the US on the "liberals". Just ask him, he'll say "the liberals have ruined this country". Try telling him the conservatives have done just as much damage, and provide him with proof, and he'll just dismiss you as "another liberal".

I don't get how people can think like he does. I really don't.

Because he has been lied to his whole life and now it is simply easier for him to continue living in his lies. Anyone who tries to break him out of his lies must be wrong, otherwise he cannot be right. He probably also believes there is a right and wrong side to every issue, rather than multiple viewpoints.

Dwhite

Why do we blame one kind of person. It took a world of people to fuck up the way we did.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    I don't get how people can think like he does. I really don't.
    He sounds like a selfish jerk that doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself.
    I don't get it either, but a lot of people are like that, sadly.

My friend has a similar opinion to his. "They shouldn't be alive! They're stealing my damned tax dollars!" I mean, she's two years younger than me and quite immature and all, but I still smacked her for that. We're still buds, though. Yaaaaaaaaay cloud.

In my humble opinion, your source of income shouldn't matter as long as you're a good person. He probably didn't know anything about you, your struggles in life, or how sweet and kind you are. I hope he loses every penny he has and then has a massive hemorrhage somewhere in his body. Then he'll realize that taxpayer's dollars go to good work, he'll change his ways, and he'll be the next Ghandi.

Okay, I doubt that would happen, but I'd like to politely tell this man to go fornicate with an equine. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    Some guy just told me that I was stealing from him and millions of other Americans. His rationale for that was that because I was living off Disability, I was on a "butter train" that came at the expense of himself personally and every other conservative in the country. Therefore, that made me a "thief".
    So what does he expect you to do? Shrivel up and die? I don't understand how you can look a disabled person in the eye and, to save yourself a couple of bucks, won't do your part to make their life livable. I mean, how small and hard can your heart be?

I wonder if the same guy, who thinks liberals are ruining the world via healthcare (which really is a preposterous thing to suggest), thinks conservatives have done a wonderful job in the Middle East. Would he be willing to shell out for a few more Daisy Cutters and cluster bombs in Iraq, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I wonder if the same guy, who thinks liberals are ruining the world via healthcare (which really is a preposterous thing to suggest), thinks conservatives have done a wonderful job in the Middle East. Would he be willing to shell out for a few more Daisy Cutters and cluster bombs in Iraq, maybe?
    Oddly enough, the same guy used to complain about how Bush was trying to bail out the major banks.

But when Obama passed a similar bill, he immediately forgot all about how Bush was up to doing exactly the same things (and then he started claiming Bush was a decent president), and claimed it was all a "liberal" concept to do such a thing.

Based on that alone, he sounds like somebody who is willing to flip-flop and conveniently "forget" words that he said earlier to fit his current tantrum needs.

Butterfly Mage

It's always a riot to see how these super-conservatives will change their tune if their own life's circumstances change. For example...

I had a friend in college whose father was so freakin' conservative that he made Sharon Angle seem like Karl Marx by comparison. He used to rant and rave about how anyone on disability was really just a "welfare bunny" and that people were supposed to rely on the Church for charity, not government.

Well, the guy had a debilitating stroke in his mid-50s. His health insurance ran out after the COBRA limits expired. His medical bills ate through his life savings less than a year after that. The wondrous and charitable Church dropped off a fruit basket and did nothing else thereafter. It wasn't too long before he was in a real bind.

He then discovered that he qualified for SSDI, Medicaid, food stamps, heating fuel assistance, prescription subsidies, etc. Thanks to the evil liberal Government, my friend's father didn't have to starve, become homeless, go without medical care, or go without medicines. He really changed his tune. Now he's a far left liberal.

Yes, that's right. He's a far left liberal.

Funny how the super-conservatives can change their mind once they human poverty, hunger, and desperation are no longer abstract concepts.

Well I try to take it on a case by case basis. My friend's mom lost her legs in a wreck with an uninshured drunk driver. It's OK the state takes care or her every need. My EX's mom, dad, most recent husband and now her are all fit and capable of holding a job they don't want but perfer to live on state aid. I call them leeches.

I'd like to see him get hurt and not be able to work.
    What does he think of it now? Hmmm?