View Poll Results: Does eating Turkey make you sleepy?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it does all the time

6 24.00%
  • No it hasnt I have never once been sleepy from eating turkey

11 44.00%
  • sometimes it makes me a little sleepy depnding on how much I eat

8 32.00%
  • No turkey does not make me sleepy but (insert food here) does make me sleepy

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does turkey make you sleepy?

Default Does turkey make you sleepy?

Seeing as Thanksgiving is 2 days away I though I would ask about it. I know not everyone celebrates thanksgiving but you are still welcome to discuss about if eating turkey makes your sleepy or not. For me personally I have never once goten tired from eating turkey on thanksgiving or any other food from thanksgiving.

Also any special plans for Thanksgiving anyone? me and my moms are doing thanksgiving at our house our family is all coming over just a classic Thanksgiving get together

Yes it does! but only on thanksgiving! I think its because of the dark meat.

Turkey, just like anything else, will get me tired if I eat too much of it.

Being tired after turkey also has nothing to do with tryptophan. Tryptophan levels in turkey are similar to those in other kinds of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by cweezy928 View Post
    Yes it does! but only on thanksgiving! I think its because of the dark meat.
    Ah I see maybe thats why I dont get sleepy is cause I only eat white meat

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Turkey, just like anything else, will get me tired if I eat too much of it.

Being tired after turkey also has nothing to do with tryptophan. Tryptophan levels in turkey are similar to those in other kinds of meat.

Hm I actually didnt know that I thought it was just because it is a high protein calorie food and the way it is cooked that made it tiresome

There are various theories why turkey makes you sleepy. The one that's most likely the culprit is that eating five times as much food as you usually have in a single sitting does the trick. Blood will be redirected to the stomach from literally everywhere else to keep digestion going. And the hormonal changes after gorging on a ginormous meal will temporarily cause a slowdown of energetic molecules (sugars, ketones, etc) going to the brain.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Hm I actually didnt know that I thought it was just because it is a high protein calorie food and the way it is cooked that made it tiresome
    Actually, proteins are less likely to make you tired than carbohydrates. Proteins take a long time to digest, so the energy consumed by digestion will be spread out over a period of time. The digestion of simple carbohydrates- for the purposes at hand, wheat products- is really fast, meaning your body's going to expend energy more quickly.

I don't think it's as much the turkey, as it is the beer and wine I use to wash the bird down with. With my family, Thanksgiving has always been an all-day-long feast. It is expected that you should take several naps throughout the day, and when you awaken, you eat and drink some more.

Turkey doesn't make me do anything except get sick. I can't stand the taste.