Thread: Outer Markings

Default Outer Markings

Everyone has a different opinion about them. I think that adult babies enjoy childish designs (like blocks) while diper lovers like them either blank or with very special markings (like paw prints or rainbow tapes). Blank ones are also reminisent of the older diaposables from the 1970s and 1980s.

Examples of blank diapers include the Dry Care 24/7 and the Bambino Bianco. One example of a diaper with non0childish markings is the Abena Abri-Form (all models). These have a size stripe, dual wetness indicators and a center stipe resembling a DNA ladder with only a single helix (they call me Science Dog for a reason). I can understand why the size stripe would be practical and the wetness indicators are wuite effective (changing from yellow to green to blank). That DNA ladder always puzzled me though. I guess it's to make it eaiser to put on and center it.

From what I know about the adult diaper market, they requently try to aviod calling them diapers. Instead calling them diaposable underwear, breifs or incontience pads. They are almost always white to look more like normal breifs and are only branded with markings that are needed. What do you think about the purpose of certian markings? Are they nessary or just a crazy idea?

A large part of getting people to buy your product is making people feel psychologically comfortable using it.

This is part of the reason that little kids are often transitioned from pullups which have designs into underwear with designs. Slowly we are pulled away from the prints which seem to be considered childish.

If a product was going to hurt your self esteem would you buy it if you could get an alternative that didn't?

I remember my reverse aspect from that. The stigma i used to have when i wore youth tranqility diapers promoted the theme of "Hurting my self esteme" because it damaged my self image due to directly corrolating with the negative stigma around being a handicapped youth. I found that the babyish designs became a form of welcome, relaxation, and a step towards regressing my self emotionally to further help control and regulate my feelings of coping. I suppose its alittle deep but im very proud of my babyish prints because of the welcoming feeling. Also, in my mind theres no corrolation between baby prints and bad stigma but instead that they are linked to playful times, childish behavior, and comfort... which is truely a great thing to have especially in my situation where i am away from my family and support system for a lack of words- for an ever expanding period of time.

I would disagree I'm a dl and I like to have bayish designs on diapers but I have recently had a few tb desires

As a DL I've found it leads to a bit of AB. My fav. diaper is Abena M-4 though I wish they were plain white like 24/7s. I'z str-8 male but have some "girly" pink print plastic pants too. Whatever floats your boat eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    A large part of getting people to buy your product is making people feel psychologically comfortable using it.

This is part of the reason that little kids are often transitioned from pullups which have designs into underwear with designs. Slowly we are pulled away from the prints which seem to be considered childish.

If a product was going to hurt your self esteem would you buy it if you could get an alternative that didn't?
    This. If I was in a situation that required me to wear diapers (and my actual desires weren't there) I'd want something that made me feel as normal as possible. Not helpless and childish. A medical device presented as a medical device would make me feel more secure with myself than a sized-up version of what helpless infants have to use.

Also something I have noticed, lot of the advertising for incontinence products includes elements of freedom, which many people with continence issues lack or may feel like they lack. Showing that the diaper is simply a device for controlling a disability instead of reinforcing that the person needs to be taken care of constantly would probably be a supporting thing, having some independence and the ability to live a more normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    This. If I was in a situation that required me to wear diapers (and my actual desires weren't there) I'd want something that made me feel as normal as possible. Not helpless and childish. A medical device presented as a medical device would make me feel more secure with myself than a sized-up version of what helpless infants have to use.

Also something I have noticed, lot of the advertising for incontinence products includes elements of freedom, which many people with continence issues lack or may feel like they lack. Showing that the diaper is simply a device for controlling a disability instead of reinforcing that the person needs to be taken care of constantly would probably be a supporting thing, having some independence and the ability to live a more normal life.
    I think the big issue is the over-strive for freedom and the "Normal life". All of that stigma for freedom created such a huge burden for my self that i nearly emotionally colapsed from the pressure to try and be normal, yes it was more then just the look of the diaper but it was one of many factors. I see how the corrolation is there but there is also for potential involving having too much pressure on you to be normal.

I really like the single-helix ladder design on the new Abenas. It masks the wetness indicator, sort of draws it into the whole design. Looks like...well, if diapers were a standard thing for EVERYONE, something a teenager or young adult would be wearing. It doesn't look "institutional," at least to me.

To be honest, either way, I really don't care. I look for comfort and absorbency most of all. Now if you asked me before I figured out I was a DL, of course I would say that plain white was the only way to go, because like many other people are saying, a person without the desire to be a baby don't want to feel like one, they want to be as normal as possible.