Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illness

Post Illness

I quite frequently am sick. Currently, it seems as if I am coming down with allergies/cold. It is during these times of illness, that I want to be a baby even more so.

I am frustrated because it hurts my throat and ears to suck my paci. I use this every night or any time of the day that I need to be comforted and soothed.

But now, the most I want to be soothed and comforted, it hurts to use it....

I wish there was a magic remedy to make it go away!

Does anyone have any ideas or have similar issues?

You need mothering, so:
    1. Go home to Mum
    or
    2. Mother yourself
    by
    a. Snuggling up in your warmest nightie in bed
    b. Flask of hot <favourite drink>
    c. Box of chocolates
    d. Tray of hankies, medicines
    e. Switch off phone

Take four chocolates every hour awake and if you feel it necessary two paracetamol every four hours. Rest and sleep all you can.

Hope you're feeling better soon :-)

Also, try sleeping with a humidifier. This time of year, having the heat on inside the home dries the air. Breathing the dry air all night long can dry and irritate the throat and nasal passages.

After 6 weeks of being sick, I feel your pain. Hope you feel better soon

Sounds icky, hun. Sorry you're sick... Have you tried gargling with salt-and-garlic water? It sounds disgusting, I know, but it helps a lot with throat and ear pain. So does garlic oil or garlic water drops in the ears. It's probably good that you're sucking your paci rather than not, though, because the sucking/swallowing motion can help get all the icky stuff out of your ear. Combined with a heat pack, all the nasty stuff will loosen in your ears and you'll feel much better. (That's why you chew gum or make swallowing motions after you take off on an airplane - to relieve pressure.)

And good ol' fashioned chicken noodle soup and orange juice helps, too. Warmth + Vitamin C = quick recovery. And a humidifier is probably good, too, or a hot, steamy shower. You'll loosen up all the mucus in your nose, throat, and ears, and it'll be much easier to, erm... cough out. (It's gross, but definitely better than leaving it in there!)

Hope you feel better soon, dearie!

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    Sounds icky, hun. Sorry you're sick... Have you tried gargling with salt-and-garlic water? It sounds disgusting, I know, but it helps a lot with throat and ear pain. So does garlic oil or garlic water drops in the ears. It's probably good that you're sucking your paci rather than not, though, because the sucking/swallowing motion can help get all the icky stuff out of your ear. Combined with a heat pack, all the nasty stuff will loosen in your ears and you'll feel much better. (That's why you chew gum or make swallowing motions after you take off on an airplane - to relieve pressure.)

And good ol' fashioned chicken noodle soup and orange juice helps, too. Warmth + Vitamin C = quick recovery. And a humidifier is probably good, too, or a hot, steamy shower. You'll loosen up all the mucus in your nose, throat, and ears, and it'll be much easier to, erm... cough out. (It's gross, but definitely better than leaving it in there!)

Hope you feel better soon, dearie!
    Also STERILIZE your bottle and pacis because odds are the sickness is on it

For sore throat, I've always found that *hot* orange juice with a spoonful of honey in it (generous spoonful) does wonders. The juice should be as hot as tea, nearly boiling, not just warmed up a little. It's not only great to sip, but just breathing the steam does wonders too. Plus it's the kind of thing you'd give a little kid to soothe them, so it's in-character too!

As others have said, steralize the paci every day, if you have a sore throat get some "Bradosol" or anything that is recomended for soothing a sore throat. Lemsip helps to sooth away aches and pains *take care not to overdose on paracetomol* a LOT of cold meds are FULL of paracetomol.
    *hugs*