Thread: Diaper advice is needed

Default Diaper advice is needed

Ok, so I'm still pretty new to the whole diaper thing and my stash is a bit low. I want to invest in diapers that are worth their salt.

Here is what I'm looking for in a diaper:

-Secret shipping
    -Not being lowed such as plastic. looking more for cloth like because of having roommates. I don't want to sound like I'm wearing a diaper.
    -Price of the diaper. I understand quality comes with a price tag, but I am in college and I have bills. I'm willing to drop $100 but I want the most bang for my buck...
    -Lastly, absorbency.... I drink a pot of coffee a day and I pee like no other.
    - Pull ups are boring to me so I'd rather have the tabs...

I've only experimented with Depends and Bambino.... I like Bambino but until I have my own place.... I need a quieter diaper. (I know takes the fun out of it)

Also, my waist is a 32, should a stay with a small or move up to a medium. From what I understand is that mediums have the tendency to hold more, but at the same time eventually being noticeable. Any thoughts here?

So, what is your thoughts on this matter?

And for fun.... if you were only allowed to choose one brand of diaper for life.... price aside... what would it be.... and why?

Loopygone

First bit of advice, its spelt advice :P. I can't really advise you too much because I don't have much experince with cloth back nappies. I know abena do cloth backed with the airplus line, avalible from most good suppliers, and abena's are always good on the absorbancy scale.

For fun, Abena x-plus. They've just always delivered, never changed really, and are thirsty , plus the fact that they are plasticbacked is great for me :P.

I tried one cloth-like exterior diaper on accident (I was in a medical supply store, and the saleswoman was making me uncomfortable, so I grabbed a bag and left). It was the Tena Ultra.

I was deeply disappointed by the things--no capacity, thinner than I want in a diaper, and the tapes were terrible. So I'd recommend crossing those off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    First bit of advice, its spelt advice :P.
    Nobody likes a smart-ass. (You are correct, of course.)

Aston: Regarding the size, it depends (cough) on the diaper. You could try ordering a sample of both sizes of the diaper that you choose, to see which one fits better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    Nobody likes a smart-ass. (You are correct, of course.)

Aston: Regarding the size, it depends (cough) on the diaper. You could try ordering a sample of both sizes of the diaper that you choose, to see which one fits better.
    I would be willing to guess that other smart-asses are quite fond of them. I know I am; especially when the smart-assery is being directed towards someone other than me.

You have to give Loopy a break as he's probably tired of hearing us Yanks butcher his fine language.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokeh View Post
    I would be willing to guess that other smart-asses are quite fond of them. I know I am; especially when the smart-assery is being directed towards someone other than me.

You have to give Loopy a break as he's probably tired of hearing us Yanks butcher his fine language.
    I'm sure Loopy knows I'm only joking. =)

most plastic backed diapers are actually very quiet, you only here them because you are listening for them

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    -Not being lowed such as plastic. looking more for cloth like because of having roommates. I don't want to sound like I'm wearing a diaper.
    -Lastly, absorbency.... I drink a pot of coffee a day and I pee like no other.
    You need to realize these are conflicting goals. A diaper with a pot of coffee in it, even if it's holding it, is going to be a lot less discrete than an occasional crinkle. One or the other is going to have to go.

Also, my waist is a 32, should a stay with a small or move up to a medium. From what I understand is that mediums have the tendency to hold more, but at the same time eventually being noticeable. Any thoughts here?
    sm/med/lg sizes aren't too standard across the industry, some diapers (like 247's) "run large" for example, so you'll have to put more thought into it than just the name of the size since the brand is a factor of size.

A diaper that's larger than necessary sometimes holds more, sometimes not. Some larger sizes don't have that much more padding, they just have larger wings and higher fronts/backs than their smaller sizes. They also may not fit as well and be MORE prone to leaking. More absorbency doesn't automatically mean less leaks. At 32" you should fit into a medium bambino, I would expect the small to be a bit snug?

-Price of the diaper. I understand quality comes with a price tag, but I am in college and I have bills. I'm willing to drop $100 but I want the most bang for my buck...
    And for fun.... if you were only allowed to choose one brand of diaper for life.... price aside... what would it be.... and why?
    If you're considering value, it depends on what aspect of the diaper you are the most interested in. Absorbency, leak protection, all day wear, overnight protection, babyish, convenience. What are your top priorities? (say, pick two)

Though plastic backed the Abena M-4s are quite quiet, (soft plastic), and though not as thirsty as 24/7s their a good buy.
    My go to diaper!