Thread: World Military Strength Ranking

Default World Military Strength Ranking

Check out the stats I found on this website World Military Strength Ranking

1. U.S.A.
    2. China
    3. Russia
    4. India
    5. U.K.

"The United States remains the undisputed leader of this list thanks to their staying "active" in global hotspots, showcasing the world's largest navy and continuing to poor in gobs of money into defense."

So, what do you all think about this list? Agree/disagree?

All I have to say is GO USA!!!!!

Loopygone

Yes, well done the US for having a massive military. Great peace loving country huh? :P

crazykittensmile

Well I don't feel proud to see the UK in the top 5, and would be happy to see it much lower down on that list.

Maybe I just read too much of The Guardian (eg: My once-in-a-generation cut? The armed forces. All of them | Simon Jenkins | Comment is free | The Guardian ) but I personally don't see why the UK is spending so much money on defence when we are not under attack, whilst drastically cutting government funding on the things that are really important to the future of our country such as healthcare and education.

Personally, I think our military is far too strong. According to that listing, our defense budget is larger than the next ten countries' budgets combined. It's ten times as large as China's. The worst part is we really have no good reason for our military to be so incredibly huge. I'm not proud.

Loopygone

Babyjess: The main reason is that the defence industry in the UK supplies a hell of a lot of jobs, and brings in money. No other reason. As with all military might, and the majority of wars, it all comes down to the money.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Babyjess: The main reason is that the defence industry in the UK supplies a hell of a lot of jobs, and brings in money. No other reason. As with all military might, and the majority of wars, it all comes down to the money.
    I guess the fact it provides jobs is a good thing, but surely it requires a lot more money than it brings in? The defence budget is usually pretty hefty. If we took that money and spent it in other areas (healthcare, education, social care, police force) wouldn't it benefit the country as whole? And spending more money in other areas usually means creating more jobs.

Well... in the perfect world were nobody stupid and rich could start major wars and things... were countries wouldnt need major militaries (or just be like canada and let the guy next door eat the blame and do all the security for them :P) but... it makes you wonder... take the U.S. ... were else could you take 60 billion dollars and put it to good use... @_@ could you imagine investing 60 billion dollars into making the perfect diaper? lololololol Naw, i, playin but it would be a interesting concept... that 60 billion could easily make the US's health care system fantastic and free.

Completely disgusting.

Predicting some absolutely LOL worthy responses in this thread, though.

Go USA! We should continue to spend trillions on defense and less on everything else!

None of those five are really surprising though.