Thread: Where to change nappy at night?

Default Where to change nappy at night?

No shops are open..is it ok to go into a hospital via A and E to change a nappy? ((if the "main bit" of the hospital is closed?

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Napimat View Post
    No shops are open..is it ok to go into a hospital via A and E to change a nappy? ((if the "main bit" of the hospital is closed?

Thanks all
    Maybe, it depends on how strict the hospital is on that sort of thing...Are they're any public toilets with a disabled/baby change you could use?

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Napimat View Post
    I have been into A&E to use the toilet in my local hospital once before. If you have no other choice, and are discreet about it, then I don't see why it would be a problem. Most shops/restaurants don't like you to use their toilets unless you're a customer, but seeing as nobody pays to use the hospital I doubt hospitals have the same policy as long as people are discreet about it (they probably would turn away a group of drunk and rowdy teens for example, but a man who just walks in, does what he needs to, and gets out shouldn't cause any issues).

If there is an alternative (if you can wait to change when you get home or are on your way to a pub with a toilet, for example) then I wouldn't use the A&E toilet, and you shouldn't make a habit of it, but if you need to change ASAP and have no other choice then it would probably be okay to do occasionally.

Don't bother the nurses or other people on duty by asking them if it's okay or explaining that you're in a nappy - they will be busy and don't want to be interrupted by somebody who doesn't need anything. Just go in, use the toilet, dispose of your nappy discreetly (don't be all in-your-face about the fact you're changing a nappy in there), and get out again. If you don't make a nuisance of yourself in the A&E department I doubt anybody would care, but if a member of staff did confront you just politely explain your situation, apologise and agree not to use it again.

You might also want to consider getting yourself a RADAR key - they're available online and usually cost 2-3. A google search will bring up several online retailers, and I believe you can usually buy them from your council or local Information Centre. A lot of locked disabled toilets can be opened using radar keys, meaning that you can use them any time of day/night.

i guess i tend to change my diaper at my own house.

when out and about, I will change wherever i find a bathroom. Honestly, if the store said something (which most wont'), you can throw out the incontinence reason.... I mean what shop is going to hassle somebody who is handicapped?