Thread: DVD Ripping

Default DVD Ripping

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to encourage anyone to break the law by stealing TV Shows/Movies.

So, Now that I have this awesome Galaxy Tab, and a large collection of DVDs, I'd like to know the best way to go about combining the two. Specifically, what's the best software to use for ripping and encoding DVDs for Android? I'd prefer a solution for Linux, but Windows will work as well.

For Android I don't know. DVDFab is good...I hear.

I don't know if it's what you need or not for Android, though.

I prefer DVD ripper + ripitforme. It will backup most dvds. I literally back up all my dvds just so I can make them go to the menu right away and not make me sit through 10000 adds. Or to make them LD style and just have the movie start up with subtitles on. To backup all dvds you will need a program which can make binary images though, then a bin to iso converter, and finally a iso to directory structure converter. I _think_ dvdfab can read in binary, but it also costs money if memory serves me correctly.

I am involved in a very minor way in the movie and music industry, and I can assure you that if someone really wants to stop you from backing up a dvd easly, they can do it. I try to make sure movies I do generally confuse the crap out of the programs I use myself. And I figure, if you can back it up at that point, then well there's no way I am gonna stop you ever. At the same time I try to make it so the same dvd won't hate programs which convert dvds to a portable media player.

To convert it to a (probably) mp4 package file, you will need another program. There should be a handful of program which will do it for something as popular as the android.

Good luck and sorry I only know Windows solutions.

What I need is a program that will convert DVDs to a format readable by Android, not that runs on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    What I need is a program that will convert DVDs to a format readable by Android, not that runs on Android.

Then just search the web for a DVD to Android converter program. Should be tons of free ones which will convert an unencrypted VOB folder to a mp4 package format the android can play.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to encourage anyone to break the law by stealing TV Shows/Movies.

So, Now that I have this awesome Galaxy Tab, and a large collection of DVDs, I'd like to know the best way to go about combining the two. Specifically, what's the best software to use for ripping and encoding DVDs for Android? I'd prefer a solution for Linux, but Windows will work as well.
    Trying to preserve your Fair Use rights?

That's-a-beating. : )

Something like that. This thing is perfect to watch movies on while in bed, on a plane, or anywhere else I'm not in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Trying to preserve your Fair Use rights?

That's-a-beating. : )
    That is exactly why I get anyone I do a movie for, to agree under Fair Use, to allow any purchaser to back the movie up to _any_ format they desire _and_ to allow the rights for the user to own the DVD and to have a portable media player version viewable, by them, at the same time (or to have any other format of backup they wish).

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    For Android I don't know. DVDFab is good...I hear.

I don't know if it's what you need or not for Android, though.
    DVDFab is my only goto source for ripping/copying DVD's. Though, I use DVD shrink for making the backup DVD's.

DVDFab also can export DVD's video files to a multitude of different system files from Nintendo DS, Ipad to xbox 360. I'll be willing to bet their working on how to export the video to the Glaxy tab since it's the "best" ipad alt.