Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diapers + Environment = Bad!!

Lightbulb Diapers + Environment = Bad!!

Hey fellow ADISC members!

Just thought I'd raise a topic that seems to have had very little discussion. I really don't want to seem like a enviro-do gooder or anything, but have you ever considered the amount of extra landfill we create by wearing diapers as a hobby. Every time I chuck out a disposable diaper I think about how long it's going to take to break down. As quitting is simply not an option I've been thinking about what I can do to make up for the extra landfill space I'm responsible for.

Well cloth diapers are not really my thing so I guess it'll have to be something else. Then I thought why not make a donation to a proactive environmental organisation (kinda like an offset if you will). After doing some searching online, I've found that there are heaps of great organisations out there who accept small donations. A little bit of money goes a long way too.

One that I checked out was http://www.treesforlife.org.au. I have chosen this group to support for now as they work in the revegetation of Australian bushland and forests. I'm not donating my life savings or anything, but I have to say that it makes me feel better about doing something positive for the environment and I won't feel quite so guilty next time I throw a rolled up diaper in the garbage .

Good on everyone who already supports the environment in some way. For those of us who haven't considered it, maybe this could be a worthy cause for your loose change (trying not to sound preachy here ).

Anyway if anyone knows of any great organisations or has any good ideas on the subject, post them here. I'd personally like to find a decent organisation that will accept paypal donations .
    Last edited by SuperTed; 12-Nov-2010 at 05:59.

I don't wear that often that last year or so; as such, I don't give these things much thought. Even before when I wore often, part of my fetish is to be care-free. I take that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    part of my fetish is to be care-free. I take that seriously.
    I totally get that.

All in all, I think our contribution is small compared to those who actually need to wear diapers. The fact we wear for recreation really evens things out.

Most human activities are bad for the environment. Unless your hobby is planting trees or rescuing animals it is going effect the planet badly.

i dont wear that often so i try not to think about. Of course it helps to remind yourself that people do alot worse things for the environment indivudally on a daily basis as well.

crazykittensmile

I do feel guilty about wearing nappies for the environmental impact they have, and unfortunately cloth is not an option for me. I wouldn't consider giving nappies up, but I do try and be as eco-friendly as I can in terms of nappies. I only buy biodegradable baby-wipes, and I have made the switch from using pampers nappies as boosters/stuffers to using a biodegradable brand of disposable baby nappy. They are a little more expensive, but it eases my guilt a little. Unfortunately no biodegradable disposable nappy for adults seems to exist yet, but if one is ever marketed I will certainly be the first to try it.

I also feel like although I wear nappies I do make a conscious effort not to impact the environment too much. I donate 7 a month to 'Friends Of The Earth (Friends of the Earth: Home), I don't drive a car and walk/cycle or use public transport, I'm vegetarian, I recycle and compost, I avoid putting the heating on, I make sure never to leave anything on standby or even plugged in when it's not on use, I'm very anal about turning off lights (it drives my housemate mad) and so I figure although wearing nappies is bad for the environment my 'carbon footprint' is probably a lot lower than that of many people who don't choose to wear nappies.

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    I don't drive a car and walk/cycle or use public transport, I'm vegetarian, I recycle and compost, I avoid putting the heating on, I make sure never to leave anything on standby or even plugged in when it's not on use, I'm very anal about turning off lights (it drives my housemate mad) and so I figure although wearing nappies is bad for the environment my 'carbon footprint' is probably a lot lower than that of many people who don't choose to wear nappies.
    Apart from the vegetrian thing this describes me quite well, I'm incredibly anal about recycling and leaving things on standby so I don't feel very guilty about using diapers. Also I don't wear very often anyway, I've probably only gone through 40 or so in 2 years.

This is the only thing I feel really bad about when wearing a diaper. I just try not to worry about it too much because there are far worse things people do to the environment. I would consider trying cloth diapers sometimes if I were actually able to do so, but I don't think I'd ever give up disposables.

The environmental impact of our hobby really is like the unspoken dirty little secret. Like MessyMan said, all human activity is harmful to the planet, but I don't really see that as an excuse. I try to be as eco-friendly as possible by doing little things like driving a fuel efficient car, being stingy with heat and aircon at home, not leaving lights on, etc. But since no one has come up with a way to recycle diapers yet, I don't think we are gonna be very earth friendly any time soon. It's like the petrolheads who won't talk about peak oil, global warming, etc.